IGNORED

Tutankham for the TI-99/4A

retroclouds

The TI-99/4A Tutankham prototype has minor graphic changes compared to the colecovison version.

Also it behaves a bit differently, however it's very hard to tell by only looking at the short video on the Videogame House.

Would be willing to give it a try if I can get some more information on what the differences are.

Remember: no one has ever played this prototype, except for Toucan. :|

The author of the original will not allow even a single copy to be made, per his contract.... A-hole

I was expecting this and I was expecting that nobody knows real differences (except little graphical differences).

That´s why I was suggesting graphical hack to be made = finish homebrew, and then make graphical hack from it, and voilá! You can have "two" games on same cartridge! :) Of course that graphical hack will behave exactly same as homebrew/colecovision one, but at least it will LOOK like TI original did. :)

Of course, if anyone can get chance to play .ROM dump of TI original, then that may give hints what it is like, to make "original version" behaving at least somewhat like original one. :) So, no need to get .ROM dump of original from author, if you make a hack. :) Of course it will not be a original, but... you know what I mean.

Edited by mäsäxi

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking Owen.

I've barely done any TI stuff lately, so no progress. Crazy life got in the way again.

Just yesterday I got back home from a trip to Belgium. Went to see my relatives, so I was rather quiet in the forums too :)

The good thing is that I have a 3 week vacation coming up right now.

Ask me again at the end of August, I should have something to show you :P

Im in Key West right now playing music, and I saw a Tutankham stand up coin op in an old bar down here!!! I wanted to play it so badly, but it was not plugged in and I was in a hurry. Shame... :) maybe the fella will sell it to me!!

Yeah, wished I had one of these. Unfortunately I don't have the space for it :|

Im in Key West right now playing music, and I saw a Tutankham stand up coin op in an old bar down here!!! I wanted to play it so badly, but it was not plugged in and I was in a hurry. Shame... :) maybe the fella will sell it to me!!

Ask him if he will sell it!! Especially if it does not work, that's the best kind of coin-op to have since they are fun to fix and you can get a really good price because you buy them broken.

Matthew

• 4 weeks later...

Filip--- are you scrolling one tile at a time in this video or is it a more pixel-based scroll? The video isn't coming through very clear over here. :)

yeah, it's kinda hard to see on the video.

As in the colecovision version I'm scrolling 1 tile at a time. Ofcourse, all sprites move fluently, they are not bound to tile boundaries.

Moving a maze like that 1 pixel at a time is almost impossible on the 9918 if you ask me.

However, the cool thing about scrolling 1 tile at a time is that if you do it at a certain speed it really looks fluent.

I think a good example of that should be Bump 'n Jump on the colecovision.

Not sure, but I think that moving a maze pixel wise at the speed of Jr. Pacman should be possible on the TMS9918.

Edited by retroclouds

I've decided I won't be releasing any ROM images of WIP versions anymore.

There will be a BETA phase for a closed group of people before the cartridge comes out.

I might release the final ROM to the cartridge buyers and release to the public domain at a later stage. But that isn't confirmed at this time.

I've decided I won't be releasing any ROM images of WIP versions anymore.

Has anything in particular prompted you to change your policy?

Yes, but I wouldn't see this particularly as a bad thing though.

I will still be releasing plenty of stuff for free in the future.

But for Tutankham plans go in another direction.

• 1 month later...

Im curious Filip, is the release of Tutankham tied in with the release of SPECTRA2? You said at one point that Tutankham would be your pilot game for SPECTRA2---

I guess I'm just hoping for an update. I bought an old bunch of Coleco, INTV, and Atari games to resell from a local guy and saw Tutankham in there. Prompted me to post. Hope the project is still alive and well... Or at least walking around as a mummy. :)

Im curious Filip, is the release of Tutankham tied in with the release of SPECTRA2? You said at one point that Tutankham would be your pilot game for SPECTRA2---

I guess I'm just hoping for an update. I bought an old bunch of Coleco, INTV, and Atari games to resell from a local guy and saw Tutankham in there. Prompted me to post. Hope the project is still alive and well... Or at least walking around as a mummy. :)

I haven't given up on Tutankham, it's just delayed for now.

Actually Tutankham will be the second game based on SPECTRA2. The first pilot game based on SPECTRA2 is a game you know real well ;)

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.giantbomb...nkham/61-14336/

This review says the original name was "Tutankhamen", but the entire name wouldn't fit onto the arcade logo/sign they made for it. =) I wonder if that's true? Sorry, just struck me. =)

***edit***

THIS is a cool logo.... perhaps the coolest ever...

tutankham.jpg

Edited by Opry99er

• 6 months later...

the time is always a big problem but i had time to starting the instrucion pages of the manual for tutankham:

this is the example for the first page in English instructions ...

becouse i haven't details on command or other things that will have the game, i imagine something and i will change when retroclouds will finish the game ;)

i think the languages will be: English, Italian, German and French

what you think about the page style ? :D

post-24673-0-50086200-1308059547_thumb.jpg

Edited by ti99userclub

Thankyou ! :D

after suggestion from "rocky007" ;), i realized this other style... what you think about of this new style ???

i will use Egyptian number for page.. and the papyrus sheet will be different for every page :D

it's better in this style or a more simply style ?

post-24673-0-58229600-1308218651_thumb.jpg