IGNORED

Tutankham for the TI-99/4A

retroclouds

• 1 month later...

Time for a status update, the project isn't dead (I kinda reanimated it :D):

* New sprite graphics implemented (hero). I'm pleased with the animation, it looks very smooth. Did make some change to the sprite colours.

As previously mentioned I'm using 3 sprites for the hero. Originally intended to use one background character instead of a sprite, but that won't happen as it's too much hassle.

Probably will be making the eniemies single-colour instead of 2 colours.

* Collecting objects is working (including scoring). So I can now pick-up keys, diamonds and treasures. Also have our hero walking around with the key once collected.

* Shooting left and right is now working. I'm using background characters and I'm pleased with the result. Looks a lot better than I originally thought it would be.

* To drop the magic lamp you now have to be moving up-or down. That way you can use the joystick fire button to either drop the lamp (when moving up/down) or shoot left or right (when moving left/right) :P

There are still some nasty bugs in there. Especially when switching directions. Also the screen scrolling is way too fast, will have to slow it down.

But now I'm concentrating on finally making some more progress.

Not sure what I'll be doing next, adding the end-of-level sequence or putting the enemies in. Guess I'll have to start working on the enemies sooner or later....

EDIT: I'm surprised how easily I could start writing TMS9900 assembly language again after having it ignored for almost a year. Well basically there are only a few instructions to deal with.

I'd encourage everyone to give TMS9900 assembly language a try. It's not that hard. And you do have the benefit of having a debugger at your disposal (classic99 and others) that shows your program instruction by instruction while its running. That's a huge benefit.

Edited by retroclouds

Very nice indeed.

Your animation seems be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

The arcade version seems to be 1, 2, 3, 4, 3 and 2.

I think you could compress you animation to the technique above, and you might even get away with a decent 1, 2, 3, 2. That’s if you need the bytes.

Missed your post, interesting didn't notice that. Currently still have plenty of space in the VDP available. What I do now is that I load the sprite patterns each time I switch directions (up/down/left/right).

So I basically have 6 frames x 3 sprites x 32 bytes (=768 bytes) that I copy it to the VDP and during the animation I then just cycle from 1-6.

On a sidenote: I have currently 1 ROM bank (8K) reserved for the sprite patterns. So when changing direction, I switch to the sprite bank, copy the patterns to the VDP and switch back to the gameplay bank.

Might consider implementing your idea when I run into VDP space pressure :)

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 1

Here's a short video of the lates beta with the new sprites in place.

http://youtu.be/-K44SgzSjfI

EDIT: Not sure about the green sprite color. It makes a very nice contrast with the red and yellow. But when our hero Jimmy gets the key he starts looking like Robin Hood :D

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 4

I agree. It's the nicest assembly language I have used. I'd put it up close with 68k

As off-topic as it is, I have to say that, for its simplicity and ease of programming, I rather like 6502 programming, myself. Though, I would say that fits into my 8-bit programming experience and the 9900 fits 16-bit, so I can like both equally :) I understand Z80 though I have never written it, same with 68000.

Yes, this could be good, it's similar to mine egyptian font,

you can see on the old cover at this link:

http://www.atariage....4a/page__st__50

but i think i could use one for the cover and the other one for the Text of the instructional pages...

Thank you for your suggestion ;)

Edited by ti99userclub

retroclouds, i am glad you enjoy programming tms9900 again! Hope to see you at Augsburg this year???

thanks kl99 ;-)

oh it's not that I didn't enjoy tms9900 programming any longer. It's such a nice language.

The difficulty is finding the right balance between work, family, personall stuff and TI stuff.

Besides the TI stuff I have 2 other projects I'm currently working(coding) on, both non TI-related.

So I'm basically switching between projects over and over again :-D

EDIT: concerning Augsburg, chances are looking good, but not 100% confirmed yet.

Edited by retroclouds

• 4 weeks later...

Been doing some work on Tutankham in the last few weeks, this is what I now have working:

* New fonts! (Yes, now using some fonts ripped by sometimes99er. They just look so great! Will probably redo title screen to make it look consistent,

* End-of-stage animation working(smooth scroll on lock moving up & smooth scroll on opening gate)

* Enemy sprites defined and code available. But they are not yet in the game. Do have the "smoke" animation working when a new enemy appears.

* Some bug-fixes

Could imagine I'm going for a 2014 release, sorry folks! But I really want to raise the bar with this one and only have limited free time.

No youtube video this time, but here's a screenshot to give you an idea.

post-16219-0-83614800-1344971063_thumb.png

EDIT: Just compared to my latest youtube video and I do have some more changes in there:

* The timer is now ticking at a 1 second rate, instead of that stupid 1200 timer I ripped from the colecovision

* Replaced "Level" labels with "Stage", that's what we have in the arcade game and like that better (even though it looks a lot different there)

Edited by retroclouds
  • Like 4

Heh, nice choice of music. :-) Any chance of sneaking a little F18A support in there? Like some smooth scrolling maybe? You are already having to scroll at a tile level, so incorporating a 0-7 pixel scroll in between the tile scroll, you can achieve smooth scrolling. Just a thought.

Heh, nice choice of music. :-) Any chance of sneaking a little F18A support in there? Like some smooth scrolling maybe? You are already having to scroll at a tile level, so incorporating a 0-7 pixel scroll in between the tile scroll, you can achieve smooth scrolling. Just a thought.

As a matter of fact I have been thinking about that. The way Tutankham is designed -and from what I understand about the F18A- it should not be too hard to add smooth scrolling,

Could also use the F18A for doing multicolored enemy sprites.

The thing is I'd first need a good solution for emulating 64K (8x8) boards on the TI-99/4A as there isn't emulator support for the F18A yet and don't want to burn EPROMS for each test-cycle.

You see, the whole Tutankham thing is done in emulation until now. I've been thinking about getting a SAMS card. With that I should be able to setup an environment that works ok.

Too bad there's no SAMS support in the CF7+.

Edited by retroclouds