IGNORED

Roller Controller Games

tyranthraxus

I think all the driving games work with the roller controller? I prefer to use the roller controller for these games.

Ya and they were probably even advertised as such, like how on the 5200 boxes for games like Pole Position and Defender it says "trakball compatible" :roll: :roll: :roll: I'd rather sit on a dozen rusty nails, with my feet soaking in boiling oil, in a tiny room reeking of old people farts than play Defender with a fargin trakball.

But...that's just me.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Omega Race is played in Joystick Mode on the Roller Controller, so I am not sure I'd include it as a "true" roller controller game even if Coleco promoted it as such. That said, the roller controller does work really well with it, so I can see why Coleco recommended using the roller controller to play it, but spinning the ball faster, won't increase your rotation speed.

So really only two games took advantage of Roller Controller mode. Sort of sad for such a nice controller.

I keep my roller controller connected to my coleco at all times as the roller controller cords are nice and long, so I can keep the console by the TV, and just move the roller controller to where I am seated and then use the joysticks attached to that. And added advantage is that the the joysticks attached to the roller controller feed both joystick ports. So when playing single player games in two player mode, you can swap your good controller back and forth between players.

• Like 1

It's a shame that there aren't more roller controller games. I would love for someone to do a homebrew of Missle Command.

I would think that it could be a nearly perfect Arcade port.

Missile Command is in Team Pixelboy Potential Projects

http://teampixelboy.com/missile_command.htm

This game need to be made for the CV .... Asteroids too! :)

It's a shame that there aren't more roller controller games. I would love for someone to do a homebrew of Missle Command.

I would think that it could be a nearly perfect Arcade port.

Missile Command is in Team Pixelboy Potential Projects

http://teampixelboy.com/missile_command.htm

This game need to be made for the CV .... Asteroids too! :)

I look forward to seeing this released. I hadn't noticed it on his site. Not sure how I had missed it.

Thanks for the link. :)

Someone on these news groups said the roller controller made Time Pilot a lot more fun to play but I haven't tried it yet.

Dan

I just tried Time Pilot and it was ok. I think I'd prefer the joystick.

Super Cobra worked really well though. It seemed easier and more fun to maneuver through the caverns using the roller controller. Plus the button placement for bombs and machine guns is nice on the roller controller. The final stage is a little tough though as you have to do some major ball movement to cut those big corners.

I would have played some more, but the tornado sirens and lightening here convinced me to turn it all off.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 1:26 PM, Pixelboy said:

Missile Command? I dropped it from my projects a long time ago, once CollectorVision's Armaggedon was released.

A shame.  MC is a classic. Guess I’ll just have to stick to the Atari 5200 with Trak-Ball.  Armageddon’s graphics look kind of cartoonish for my taste.