IGNORED

Roller Controller Troubleshooting - No Vertical movement

tyranthraxus

As you can guess with my other post, I'm on a bit of a Roller kick this week. Sadly after ignoring it for years my roller controller is not working properly. I bought it and then put it on the shelf without ever testing it. I cannot get any vertical movement out of it, only horizontal. What I have found is that while playing Centipede I can move vertically using the joystick.

Disappointing as my unit appears quite mint cosmetically and I bet has not ever been used before. I'm tempted to open it up and see what I can do. Anyone have any tips on what to look for?

Edited by tyranthraxus

As you can guess with my other post, I'm on a bit of a Roller kick this week. Sadly after ignoring it for years my roller controller is not working properly. I bought it and then put it on the shelf without ever testing it. I cannot get any vertical movement out of it, only horizontal. What I have found is that while playing Centipede I can move vertically using the joystick.

Disappointing as my unit appears quite mint cosmetically and I bet has not ever been used before. I'm tempted to open it up and see what I can do. Anyone have any tips on what to look for?

Ever cleaned a PC ball mouse? Same kind of thing except on a larger scale. I usually disassemble them and attempt to clean off the rollers that get gunk built up, blow compressed air around and that is a lo-tech option to try.

The 1st thing i did when i got my roller controller was open it up and lube the bearings with 3-IN-1 bearing lubricant oil-SAE-20.My vertical and horizontal were working very slowly,they are now lightning quick,like new. The bearings just slip off the ends of the cylinders,just lube and slip back on.A tip...I like to put everything back in its original place,so i removed the cylinders ONE at a time,lubed the bearings and put back in the slot,and repeat till all are done.

Edited by Rik

Thanks for the advice but it seems like the roller has an electronic error :(

The bearings and cylinders are in good shape which they should be as my roller is brand new. I picked it up years ago from a guy blowing out some old stock and just left it boxed all this time till I realized I probably was never going to bother picking up a loose one (especially after confirming how few games there are available). In desperation I even blasted some Tuner Control Cleaner on what serves as the 'pots' on it, in the hopes it would work as easy as paddle controllers are fixed by it. The circuit board has no obvious damage so I guess this will return to the shelf permanently.

Too bad as from what control I did have I have to say that this trackball is actually pretty good, much more responsive than I expected.