IGNORED

Wanted: Looking for 8bit sprite artists

Joe_Cracker

Right now, I am asking people who wish to help a software program come to life that can make new games for the NES just as easy as drawing a picture. I'm looking for artist who can make simple 8bit sprites that could have easily looked like they could have been on an NES game, whether they where characters or objects. Whatever you send me must be public domain, send them to me as .bmp images at 16x16, 16x32 or 32x32 in size. Email them to me at rubberdude@users.sourceforge.net

If your design sells the most units, you will get a free T-shirt with whatever image you want.

Merchandise will be displayed here: http://www.cafepress.com/nesrommaker

Edited by Joe_Cracker

That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about the fact that you're basically asking people to create a piece of artwork, e-mail it to you with no agreement, so you can hock it on your CafePress website.

Nowhere in your original post did it state that you were sharing the money you make from sales on this CafePress store with the artist. So that gets interpreted as "Send me your stuff for free, I will use it to make $15 a t-shirt on a website where you could have easily made your own money anyway, and IF you're lucky I'll give you a free t-shirt".

Why would someone want to make art for something like that? That may not necessarily have been your intent, but that is how it could be interpreted.

• Like 2

Well, it appears as though he is trying to raise money to develop some software that would be of interest to the community. Assuming that the software will be free when and if it is finished, I don't see the problem with what he is asking. It is no different than developers of free software asking for donations.

Would you rather he do this, or charge for the software once it is completed?

Chris

I would rather he charge for the software and then give a percentage of the proceeds to that artist, just like he should be doing with the t-shirts. If anyone is willing to do it for free, sure, but I'm just saying I can understand how people would have issues with it.

If he charged for the software, he would have no need for artists to create T-shirts. Personally I think what he's doing is cool, and is better than straight-up asking for cash handouts. If I had any artistic ability, I would happily help this guy out if it would aid in the release of software that allows the average person to create a NES game.

Chris

That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about the fact that you're basically asking people to create a piece of artwork, e-mail it to you with no agreement, so you can hock it on your CafePress website.

Nowhere in your original post did it state that you were sharing the money you make from sales on this CafePress store with the artist. So that gets interpreted as "Send me your stuff for free, I will use it to make $15 a t-shirt on a website where you could have easily made your own money anyway, and IF you're lucky I'll give you a free t-shirt".

Why would someone want to make art for something like that? That may not necessarily have been your intent, but that is how it could be interpreted.

Well I know it makes more sense to you Cebus, but the markup is really $2.00, not $15.00 on my cafepress store, for example the Women's Tank Top is $17.99 + 2 = $19.99, if the markup was 15, that same shirt would coast $32.00. if I want to get $15.00, it would have to be a donation. And to answer all your questions, this software will be free when it comes out and you'll be able to make NES roms that you can upload on to a website where people can download or if you want to make some money, you could sell your games here on NES carts: http://www.retrousb.com

How about you finish that NES clone that you've been talking about first ;)

I'm afraid without a guaranteed intensive to the engineer on my behalf, it's impossible. I'm going to need working software and a few completed titles on Retrozone before I can hire him, plus once I have a prototype it will have to go into mass production and it will have to offer more compatibility with original software titles, not just play the PowerPak.

Edited by Joe_Cracker

I can get it if you don't want to send me any art thinking that you won't get anything in Return, now I am offering something return. I am offering a 25 cents in royalties to be sent to you via paypal once you reach the minimum payment amount of $10.00 to $20.00 sent to the same email address the artwork is delivered from. As long as you can prove that are the original artist, you will receive payment. If it is proven that you are not the artist, the artwork will be removed and replaced. Right now I am looking for artists who can supply me with female characters to be placed on the women's clothing.

Going by the sourceforge page it doesn't look like you have anybody producing code for the project and there is no work in progress to download either.

The technical content in the Wiki is another matter entirely :lolblue:. In my opinion it is all just waffle and fluff. From here :-

http://nesrommaker.wikispaces.com/aboutthesoftware

"On April 2nd 2009, it was decided that source files containing all the data that would become a finished rom would be in binary code which is the simpliest code to translate because it's only "Ones and Zeros" and can be translated to be on a later system"

All this screams to me is "Danger Will Robinson!, Danger!"

Going by the sourceforge page it doesn't look like you have anybody producing code for the project and there is no work in progress to download either.

The technical content in the Wiki is another matter entirely :lolblue:. In my opinion it is all just waffle and fluff. From here :-

http://nesrommaker.wikispaces.com/aboutthesoftware

"On April 2nd 2009, it was decided that source files containing all the data that would become a finished rom would be in binary code which is the simpliest code to translate because it's only "Ones and Zeros" and can be translated to be on a later system"

All this screams to me is "Danger Will Robinson!, Danger!"

Agreed! :-o

From your wiki:

A beta version has been planned, and now funding as well as programmers are needed

This statement reveals quite a bit. First, why do you need money? There are many free programming languages and utilities out there. You can develop the software and test it in a NES emulator. Are you looking to HIRE a programmer? If so, you are going to have to sell thousands of shirts to fund a competent programmer to write this code start to finish. If I were you, I would suggest you pick up a book and start writing code on your own. There's no better way to learn a language than to find a project that motivates you, and dive right in. Today, there's resources available all over the internet to help you when you run into problems, but that's the learning process.

Once you get some working code, ask for other people to assist with the effort. By showing them your motivation and enthusiasm by learning to code and writing the program, you might just pick up more people willing to donate their own talent to help the project. This is how successful open source projects get rolling. And when the project hits a certain critical mass, you might be able to step back and manage the code rather than write it (which is what you're attempting to do here).

First, why do you need money? There are many free programming languages and utilities out there. You can develop the software and test it in a NES emulator. Are you looking to HIRE a programmer? If so, you are going to have to sell thousands of shirts to fund a competent programmer to write this code start to finish. If I were you, I would suggest you pick up a book and start writing code on your own. There's no better way to learn a language than to find a project that motivates you, and dive right in. Today, there's resources available all over the internet to help you when you run into problems, but that's the learning process.

Once you get some working code, ask for other people to assist with the effort. By showing them your motivation and enthusiasm by learning to code and writing the program, you might just pick up more people willing to donate their own talent to help the project. This is how successful open source projects get rolling. And when the project hits a certain critical mass, you might be able to step back and manage the code rather than write it (which is what you're attempting to do here).

Well, I got a question for you. Who told you that I myself was a software engineer? The guy who told that was talking out of his ass. If you guys really love the NES and love NES games, then you all need to change your attitude about this hole thing and have some faith. Just because someone submits artwork to me doesn't mean they work for me exclusively, they can start their own cafepress store and sell their own stuff but whatever they give to me will help give people people who are nostalgic for a bygone age and who got a sense of satisfaction when they play games like Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10.

Also, speaking of Mega Man 9 and 10, the NES Rom Maker is going to be free to all users and they can have their games published on Retrozone as NES game carts but if you pay $500.00 for a Pro License, you can have your games released on the major consoles as downloadable content for the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Portible, Nintendo DS, as well as Cell phone apps from several major providers such as Verizon and AT&T. But such a feature would have to wait and games would have to have ESRB ratings. Retrozone doesn't make such a requirement. And why the software, we should be talking about the cafepress store, what do you guys think of my artwork because that's all that that I have gotton up so far and does anyone have any good 8bit girls for the women's clothing?

Edited by Joe_Cracker

Well, I got a question for you. Who told you that I myself was a software engineer? The guy who told that was talking out of his ass.

If he's "talking out of his ass" as you say then why is the information still on your Wiki? If you delete all the waffle and fluff on your Wiki you'd only be left with a title on the browser window :lol:.

If you guys really love the NES and love NES games, then you all need to change your attitude about this hole thing and have some faith.

I have faith that's for sure. But only in people who can demonstrate what they are capable of by producing software, hardware, documentation etc, etc. Unfortunately the internet is full of broken promises and hot air.

Just because someone submits artwork to me doesn't mean they work for me exclusively, they can start their own cafepress store and sell their own stuff but whatever they give to me will help give people people who are nostalgic for a bygone age and who got a sense of satisfaction when they play games like Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10.

And you sit on their backs offering 12.5% of $2.00 as payment for work done. If you were taking 12.5% on the other hand....

Also, speaking of Mega Man 9 and 10, the NES Rom Maker is going to be free to all users and they can have their games published on Retrozone as NES game carts but if you pay $500.00 for a Pro License, you can have your games released on the major consoles as downloadable content for the Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Portible, Nintendo DS, as well as Cell phone apps from several major providers such as Verizon and AT&T.

Who is going to rewrite the games and redraw the art assets for these big consoles? Some games don't scale up very well at all. And to top it off... $500 for a Pro license? You really think the NES retro market is that big?

I see you've been quoted $150,000 to produce a new run of NES consoles. Have you ever thought that they might just be quoting that figure to make you go away? Its common in business to give tin pot people/companies extortionate "go away" quotes. If they come back with the money its a bonus, if they don't you haven't lost anything.

But such a feature would have to wait and games would have to have ESRB ratings. Retrozone doesn't make such a requirement.

:lol: Shareware games don't need an ESRB rating.

I get all that but something made from NES Rom Maker that would be classified as shareware is a copyrighted Rom that is being distributed for free by the copyright owner. The hole 150K is for new motherboards hot of the presses that can go into an old toaster model of the NES and work just like it did when it first came out of the box back in the day.

Please direct all comments about software and hardware here from now on: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/159685-a-new-nes-clone-to-play-the-powerpak/page__fromsearch__1

Anything related to the cafepress store is to remain on this thread. I want the Mods here to take note of my last statement.

Also, DeadlyDiskKun. Your sprite looked too much like a 16-bit character so I need you to approve of a re-design for me before I can proceed. Check your email.

Edited by Joe_Cracker

you should really think again about what you do ... if u understand nothing about prgramming then dont start a programming project ... or be loaded with money to make it happen for ideological reasons ...

and contests where u can win a shirt absolutely suck, especialy if you actually make money with all the other designs ...

By Robert Wurth, Creative Director, Freshly Squeezed Design

I recently wrote a blog entry on Freshly Squeezed Droplets about Powerball winners and the dangers that a sudden windfall of success can bring – whether it’s in the form of money from a lottery, or customers from the unwise practice of running “sale” ads. I’d like to continue the lottery theme with some thoughts about a growing problem within the industry of design.

Right now, there exists a trend in the business world whereby companies get it in their heads that it would be a good idea to run a contest for their design work. What they will do is announce that they need, say, a new logo. The intent is for designers to individually spend the time to develop designs and then submit them. The company then goes over the entries and selects a “winner.” Only the winner receives any compensation for the work.

On the surface, and without applying any deeper thought to it, this might seem like a great idea. Rather than trust one designer to come up with a solution, a company can solicit the creative talent of dozens, or even hundreds of talented creatives.

As with most things, however, the reality of the situation is rarely so simple.

Advertising is a business, and working with a designer is a business relationship. Because of that, there are far more factors at work than just the final product. People will switch doctors because they don’t get along. They will refuse to shop at a certain store (despite really liking the products) because they can’t stand the employees. Conversely, people will go out of their way to do business with someone they like, even if doing so might be inconvenient or even a little more expensive. It is no different with a company’s relationship with its designer.

It isn’t only important to find someone talented and who can get your projects done on time. The best relationships between companies and designers occur when they understand each other, when the designer “gets” what the company wants and needs to be successful.

This kind of relationship is almost never possible in a contest.

Design contests are obviously huge gambles for the designers. They have to commit to doing a significant amount of work, and they have to do so essentially blind. Without the benefit of meeting with those putting on the contest face-to-face and gaining some in-depth insight into the project, the designers have to guess at the tastes of those in charge and just hope they do something appealing.

The thing that contest originators don’t understand, however, is that the contest model is just as much a lottery for them, too. Without meeting with the contest entrants, and seeing their past work and experiencing their personalities, the contest originators put themselves in the middle of a very risky gamble. Based simply on a submitted image, it is impossible to determine whether or not the designer has the knowledge and background to guide the project to an efficient (or even successful) conclusion.

It really isn’t all that difficult for someone with some basic creative skills to put some shapes together into a pleasing arrangement. However, making sure that those shapes have the technical foundation to meet the needs of a company is a different matter, as is having the knowledge and skill to follow up the project with changes, modifications, or even application to future projects.

Once the winner of the contest is chosen, the company has committed itself into a relationship with the designer. Now, at least on some level, the company is going to have to deal with this person. It’s not unlike choosing a mail-order bride based just on a picture. It’s not going to matter how pretty she is in the picture if she’s a complete and total shrew in person, or if it’s discovered that she can’t speak your language and has no skills to speak of. I’d venture to guess that very few of the companies running contests have the knowledge of the design industry to take over a project should they discover that their winner’s only skill is in making pleasing pictures.

What it boils down to is a loss of control. By running a contest, the company gives up its power to choose a designer based on talent, skill, personality and all of the other factors that make it possible to conduct business with someone. This is no more a sound business model than playing the lottery in the hopes of making a profit.

from www.no-spec.com

Edited by jahfish