IGNORED

Atari Cartridge Quality vs. Coleco Cartridge Quality

Bartsfam

Hello;

So, I bought my Colecovision for a closeout price in 1985 at Zayre's. I played it for 2 years, and stored it in the attic ever since, right alongside my 2600.

I dug out the CV this fall, and have been hooked ever since, buying every game I can get my hands on.

All the CV games I bought personally in 1985 work fine after a little cleaning. However, my 50 plus Atari Cartridges, that I bought in the 70's and 80's, I must have a 40% failure rate. I cannot get them to work at all, no matter how much cleaning. I have two 2600's and the CV Expansion Module #1, and the 40% do not work on any of the three. Again, all CV cartridges work fine, 100% success rate.

Is this the usual? Does everyone else find a higher failure rate with the Atari cartridges? Or, is it just me?

Both systems were stored together, same attic, same boxes, for 23 years.

Atari carts are generally really reliable. Remember, they're quite a few years older than your CV carts AND I bet you played more Atari throughout the 70's & 80's than you did the CV.

2600 Activision carts though can be a stubborn. Good idea to clean the hell out of 'em and keep them clean. Real contact cleaner (not just rubbing alcohol or video game cleaning solutions) are needed sometimes to get some carts to play well.

Hello;

So, I bought my Colecovision for a closeout price in 1985 at Zayre's. I played it for 2 years, and stored it in the attic ever since, right alongside my 2600.

I dug out the CV this fall, and have been hooked ever since, buying every game I can get my hands on.

All the CV games I bought personally in 1985 work fine after a little cleaning. However, my 50 plus Atari Cartridges, that I bought in the 70's and 80's, I must have a 40% failure rate. I cannot get them to work at all, no matter how much cleaning. I have two 2600's and the CV Expansion Module #1, and the 40% do not work on any of the three. Again, all CV cartridges work fine, 100% success rate.

Is this the usual? Does everyone else find a higher failure rate with the Atari cartridges? Or, is it just me?

Hmmm, I have never had that failure rate with Atari carts. In fact my experience is that it is very rare to not be able to coax some life from an Atari cart. And despite knowing there are better alternatives, I always use rubbing alcohol only and a Qtip.

You can always Ebay them "untested" like others do.... :roll:

Just kidding, dont do that.

Hello;

That seems odd. I have bought atari carts that people said they have cleaned but couldn't get to work. 99% of the time, they were not cleaned enough. If the standard rubbing alcohol or video game cleaning solutions don't work you need to try using an ink eraser. They are harder to find these days but you want the kind that look like this:

31pi1fgNtOL._SS500_.jpg

and no a standard pencil eraser will not work. I have used this technique for over 20 years and it has never failed me. I hope that helps.

I have over 1300 Atari 2600 carts at home, and I would say that I have had maybe 5 carts that didn't work. If they aren't working at all and you have used alcohol and an eraser, then light sand with very fine sand paper. Not the best thing to do but what have you got to loose? don't sand he contacts off, just clean them lightly.

I have over 1300 Atari 2600 carts at home, and I would say that I have had maybe 5 carts that didn't work. If they aren't working at all and you have used alcohol and an eraser, then light sand with very fine sand paper. Not the best thing to do but what have you got to loose? don't sand he contacts off, just clean them lightly.

I highly recommend DeoxIT it is works wonders on removing corrosion on contacts. It is expensive, but worth it in my opinion.