IGNORED

CV game box varieties

coleconut

Picked these two up in a recent Craigslist deal.

Venture box is normal in every way including the usual cartridge holder inside the box, size, etc is normal except it is generic white with a cheap ass label on it. Never seen one like this.

Then Decathlon is not the usual CV box, it is the Atari box with a sticker over top. Never seen this one either. I know some games come in generic boxes eg Spinnaker, Fisher Price titles with stickers on them for CV, but have not seen this one before.

post-18191-127077622249_thumb.jpg

The white box is very strange.

Many 5200 Activision titles have turned up in 2600 boxes, but CV specimens of this variety are far less common. I've seen ColecoVision H.E.R.O. in a 2600 box w/ sticker, but never this one.

Interesting find.

Sweet Score. How much? $20?

Not quite that sweet but close.

There was a CV console, Roller controller, 2 SA controllers, driving module and 25 games, 19 of them boxed. In every case, the carts themselves look like they were never used. Filled in a lot of missing boxed versions in my collection because I collect box variations, there was a mix of US, Canadian bilingual boxes, CBS Coleco multi-lingual, and of course those 2 oddities.All overlays and manuals included again looked like they were never used.

Oh and I'v changed the thread a little from box variations to "Look what I got!" but while I'm boasting, I may as well for those who are interested say that I have again been busy on Ebay and finally got one of these after looking like forever.

post-18191-127083524467_thumb.png

After the crash publishers often used whatever box was available to avoid printing more. I've also come across the odd boxed game with photocopied manuals. Those could be additions by a previous owner but it wouldn't surprise me if the warehouse started doing that as supplies dwindled.

Nice score BTW

After the crash publishers often used whatever box was available to avoid printing more. I've also come across the odd boxed game with photocopied manuals. Those could be additions by a previous owner but it wouldn't surprise me if the warehouse started doing that as supplies dwindled.

Nice score BTW

Yeah, Telegames was especially notorious for that. Before I knew better years ago, I purchased from Telegames UK a boxed Dance Fantasy. It was in one of their green clamshell plastic cases, photocopied instructions, and the cart was some other game totally with a typewritten stupid address sized label badly stuck on top.

Crap.

Following a related thread in the Intellivision forum, I read where a former employee was saying that he used to churn out the carts near the end making labels from whatever was handy at the time.