IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Ethernet and Contiki - Want your help!

Cybernoid

Heres a website to try:

http://www.rasterline.com/retro.html

Should work with Elinks, or any other text-based browser that supports frames. I guess If frames present too much of a problem, I could revise all the pages to include the navigation bar at the bottom of the actual page content.. Let me know how it works..

Did you ever find 2.6?

As far as I can tell, no one ever compiled 2.6 for the Atari. I will try to contact Oliver Schmidt, who did 2.5.

As far as websites to use with the Cart, I have had good luck with many of the mobile versions of websites. You won't see the graphics, but the info is still layed out fairly simple. Not sure if all of these wiork, but Here is a decent list to try:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/amit_chopra/archive/2008/05/02/a-good-list-of-mobile-optimised-websites.aspx

I put some webpages up that are "contiki friendly". No CSS, just basic HTML. Should give a good idea of what will work. One strange thing I figured out, using dashes or underscores as seperators makes the pages not load, however, using equal signs "=" seems ok. Also, looks like the usable area on each page is 38 characters wide X 18 lines of text.

Just type this into Contiki:

www.atari8ethernet.com/portal

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to setup the dragoncart yet, but I would like to try writing some software for it... What's "missing"? email client? ftp client?

Maybe try to port Metasploit? ;)

Contiki has an FTp and e-mail client but they are VERY basic, no authentication for the e-mail client and the FTP client only just put and get. Both are very buggy. I think a good 80 column driver would be great.

My two cents on development: I would like to see a stable telent client and a good e-mail client would also be on the top of my list.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Contiki has an FTp and e-mail client but they are VERY basic, no authentication for the e-mail client and the FTP client only just put and get. Both are very buggy. I think a good 80 column driver would be great.

My two cents on development: I would like to see a stable telent client and a good e-mail client would also be on the top of my list.

Any news?

In terms of Atari web browsing, why don't we just use an embedded Linux solution, powered off SIO, or PBI, or whatever. See the link below:

http://jeelabs.org/2009/03/08/tiny-embedded-linux/

Tiny ARM-based hardware with Ethernet and TTY. Configure the serial, connect it to the Atari, term in with the terminal emulator of your choice - 80 columns of you're lucky - and pow. Surfing. AND downloads will just pop Z, Y, X, Kermit, whatever you want.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi!

I imagine like many (all?) of you, I tried to make this card, but the IP Dragon II is not available anymore. So, I made a hybrid between the ethernet card for the CS/A65 computer (http://www.6502.org/users/andre/csa/etholi/index.html , that uses a Olimex CS8900A-H card with the same chip as the Dragon, but running at 3.3V) and the Dragon:

PXL_20240310_044228997.thumb.jpg.4774b1af863cf59ce23d470430a5463b.jpg

and it works! Of course, it is a little bit messy, and I just found out that there is a problem accessing the Contiki webserver over the wireless (but I have a feeling it is a TCP issue, to it should not be directly linked to the card).

I just wanted to share my development.

Take care,

Andres.

• Like 9