IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Ethernet and Contiki - Want your help!

Cybernoid

We are making progress. I have made 80+ Carts. We are getting the first ones into the hands of the folks that are going to do some development. The others will be sold at a very reasonable rate to promote futher testing and program development. Dan has donated quite a large sum of money to the project and I have well over 1000 hours of time into it and we are fine with that becasue we really just want to get the carts out to the community and we feel since there is not a lot of software available yet, it's not fair to charge a lot for the Cart. We are currently discussing the best and most fair way to sell the Carts. I am thinking about using e-bay with a low starting bid and letting the community determine what they are worth. Any input is welcome.

• Like 1

Or you could put up a quantity with some random price and see what you get Buy it Now offers at. Just an idea.

I'd still like to try my hand at coding for it (I still think a MUD client would be hilarious) - what do you use, if anything, for 80 column libraries?

Ebay and paypal fees are fairly high. I'd rather that all the money go to you guys. And with multiple copies up on ebay they'd go for different prices and cause some frustration for some buyers with some paying much more than the others. I'd be much happier with you choosing what you think is a fair price and putting them up here for that price.

Or you could put up a quantity with some random price and see what you get Buy it Now offers at. Just an idea.

I'd still like to try my hand at coding for it (I still think a MUD client would be hilarious) - what do you use, if anything, for 80 column libraries?

We aren't using any 80 column libraries currently, but it should be possible to use the ones that are available.

Ebay and paypal fees are fairly high. I'd rather that all the money go to you guys. And with multiple copies up on ebay they'd go for different prices and cause some frustration for some buyers with some paying much more than the others. I'd be much happier with you choosing what you think is a fair price and putting them up here for that price.

That's a good point about the possibility of different prices. I am not too worried about the fees, as it will make order processing easier. regardless, I think I a leaning toward finding a fair price and sticking to that.

I am thinking about using e-bay with a low starting bid and letting the community determine what they are worth. Any input is welcome.

I was interested but I'll likely let it go if I need to go through the eBay hassle.

If I want a new product I want to send money and receive the product within a reasonable time, not going to eBay, watch items, bid on one, loose it, bid on another, loose it again and then make other bids to end up with multiple, possibly over prized, items. This may be nice for people who have plenty of free time with nothing else to do but that ain't me.

Using eBay would be nice for payment, tracking, etc. But bidding on this wouldn't help. Either it will come in too low, or go too high. (for many reasons). Either way not establishing an accurate set price.

Maybe the price should be a combination of cost and effort. Set the price. Seems carts around $39-69 sell well. But it depends on how much effort and cost went into them. And if you include all the software, etc that, to me, also raises the cost while increasing the value for some.

If you want serious development, I'm sure there are a few hard core developers (or a group of) to partner with to accomplish that goal. Provided to them at no cost. Lab loaners :)

I am thinking about using e-bay with a low starting bid and letting the community determine what they are worth. Any input is welcome.

I was interested but I'll likely let it go if I need to go through the eBay hassle.

If I want a new product I want to send money and receive the product within a reasonable time, not going to eBay, watch items, bid on one, loose it, bid on another, loose it again and then make other bids to end up with multiple, possibly over prized, items. This may be nice for people who have plenty of free time with nothing else to do but that ain't me.

Yea, I get that. I won't do that. But I think Buy it now might work ok,

If you want serious development, I'm sure there are a few hard core developers (or a group of) to partner with to accomplish that goal. Provided to them at no cost. Lab loaners :)

We are providing free carts to those who we are hoping will do some serios development. It's the rest of this batch (50-60 left) that we are going to sell.

I appreciate everyone's input so far. Thank you! So, At this point I am thinking of putting them on ebay using "buy it now' only, no auction, or maybe a link on my website to purchase the carts through PayPal. Either way, I am going to use PayPal for the money transaction. As far as price is concerned, The price will be $25.00 plus priority mail shipping.

Edited by puppetmark

Holy crap! That's cheap. Thank you!

Thanks, like I said, we want to do what is fair, and without a "killer app" yet, We think this is best. This project has always been about getting ethernet capability to the Atari 8-bits, and never about money. I only ask that we try to get these out to as many people as possible, so I please only order one or two at the most. If at some point someone wants to do software deveopment and needs multiple carts, just send me an e-mail or PM and we will do our best to accomodate.

I will post here and on the website when the carts can be purchased. Right now, I need to get the carts back from being tested, plus I am finishing up teaching a class which ends July 3, Once that is done, I will start taking orders.

Edited by puppetmark

That's a good point about the possibility of different prices. I am not too worried about the fees, as it will make order processing easier. regardless, I think I a leaning toward finding a fair price and sticking to that.

ECrater is pretty cool. You set a fixed price there. I don't think you'll have to pay any fees. I think most transactions on ECrater are paid for with Paypal, but this is not a requirement (at least not by ECrater). I don't think you have to provide a credit card or bank account number to buy or sell at ECrater.

ECrater is pretty cool. You set a fixed price there. I don't think you'll have to pay any fees. I think most transactions on ECrater are paid for with Paypal, but this is not a requirement (at least not by ECrater). I don't think you have to provide a credit card or bank account number to buy or sell at ECrater.

I will definitely chaeck that out. Ebay is convenient but I don't like the fees either!

I will definitely chaeck that out. Ebay is convenient but I don't like the fees either!

What's wrong with the "send me a PM and money if you want one" way?

I agree, it would be more fair to have a fixed price and sent directly...

Otherwise, there will be a bidding war and drive up the cost, leaving some people without one...

Jay

• Like 1

What's wrong with the "send me a PM and money if you want one" way?

I agree, it would be more fair to have a fixed price and sent directly...

Otherwise, there will be a bidding war and drive up the cost, leaving some people without one...

Jay

Good point, I don't want to do anything unfair. I was just looking for a way to help with the order processing. It's nice how you can ship through eBay and they get the mailing label ready to print and kept the buyer notified. I was thinking of doing a "buy it now" on ebay but I am going to look at e-crater instead, if that doesn't look like it will help then I think I will just do what others have done and take orders here on the forum.

Thanks for everyone's input, I do appreciate it.

Hello CreatureXL

In the game MidiMaze the players can choose which interface they want to use. Would be nice if your games would have that same feature. Maybe even with different drivers that can be added at a later point.

Mathy