IGNORED

Magellan

The Codex

AsmusR,

I just tested your version out and it is excellent. May I ask if it is a big leap to have the image behind the dialog box get modified without exiting the dialog box, kind of having an APPLY button rather than OK which will give you a preview of what you will get with the particular threshold ? Once you are happy you click on OK.

David

Edited by Davvel
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, wonder if LASooner went anywhere with this? I love baseball games!!

haha yeah straight into the programming wall that has thwarted me for decades. I want to do it, I really do, but I get home from work and just want to sleep. I've thought about trying to do this in XB, but I'd like to learn assembly, but then I get distracted by squirrels and there goes that.

This was as far as I got

Edited by LASooner

:) It is a magnificent design... As a rabid baseball fanatic, I get chills when I think about good baseball videogames.

Strike Three is fun, Championship Baseball is about the only reason I still own my MBX system, and seeing your design here got me worked up a bit.

The TI needs a new baseball game, hands down... I wrote a baseball simulation game which was a door game on Heatwave BBS. It was a nice little game, but I think it may never see tge light of day again.

I would pay real dollars for a new baseball game on cart and would jump at the chance to help write it!!

• Like 1

One of my favorites was All Star Baseball for the Intellivision. It was almost exaxtly the same as their regular baseball game, except it had a Single Player mode.

Had a really clever speech snippet that said "YER OUT" even without the speech module.

That game could be re-created on the TI. I would like to see a baseball game that had the solid arcade elements of MBX Championship Baseball but playable on a non-MBX system.

Vanilla XB would likely not be the medium of choice due to speed limitations though.

Edited by Opry99er

• 3 weeks later...

Opry99er,

Have you seen this? http://intellivision.us/intvgames/baseball/baseball.php

World Series MLB was amazing for it's time. But not as fun to play as MLB or All Star Baseball.

Hardball on the C=64 was a fun game BITD.

Back on topic... Can someone do a start to finish scrolling demo in xb or complied xb?

That is,

1. draw a world in Magellan. Show the settings etc. Show how to save it. ( any steps needed )

2. Get the world into XB so it can be used.

3. a simple scroll right/left and up/down loop would be awesome.

I love Magellan, I just don't know how to use it very well. I learn better by seeing an example. ( old an inflexible I guess )

I have been stuck in a create slump, maybe expanding the display area will help me get out of that?

Thank you!

• Like 1

The problem with XB is the speed. Making a huge map and writing a scrolling routine are pretty simple things to do... The issue is the speed.

The Wilhelm compiler, XB256, and The Missing Link make this possible, and even simple!

I can give you some examples of how to work Magellan... may even make a video.

Will be a few days though, as I am pretty buried right now.

And I love all the Intellivision baseball games. They remain among my favorite sports games...

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

Hey gamer, I thought you were linking to the ECS GAME...

Super Pro Baseball? I have NOT played that. New release?

Yes, a new release! Hey is fixing super pro hockey as well. I didn't think it could be saved, but it is looking good as well.

XB256 is slick! I did a few demos with it. A video example would be awesome! PS I like the baseball sim you made.

I have been away from the TI for several months. I was working on a Dr. Mario type game ans someone else beat me to it. LOL.

I then started playing with a qbert type game, but I cannot make the graphics it would need.

So, I want to make a nice racing game, but the screen will need to scroll to make it worth doing.

Be well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use the "Binary Data" export in Magellan 3.2. My program is able to load the character and map data from the binary file, but I cannot find the sprite data. Checking the "Include Sprite Data" option during export changes a flag bit in the file header, but the actual data appears to be missing. Has anybody had success with sprites in the "Binary Data" format? I don't mind digging into the Magellan code, but I want to rule out operator error before doing that.

Thank you.

I'm trying to use the "Binary Data" export in Magellan 3.2. My program is able to load the character and map data from the binary file, but I cannot find the sprite data. Checking the "Include Sprite Data" option during export changes a flag bit in the file header, but the actual data appears to be missing. Has anybody had success with sprites in the "Binary Data" format? I don't mind digging into the Magellan code, but I want to rule out operator error before doing that.

Thank you.

I haven't touched the "Binary data" export format since I started modifying the Magellan code a few years ago, and you're in fact the first person I know who have used it :). If you add sprites to the format and want it included in the "master branch" of the code, just send your code changes to me and I will release a new version.

I guess other of my additions like "bitmap mode colors" will also be missing from the binary format.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with XB is the speed. Making a huge map and writing a scrolling routine are pretty simple things to do... The issue is the speed.

The Wilhelm compiler, XB256, and The Missing Link make this possible, and even simple!

I can give you some examples of how to work Magellan... may even make a video.

Will be a few days though, as I am pretty buried right now.

And I love all the Intellivision baseball games. They remain among my favorite sports games...

I'm interested in seeing an XB scrolling routine please! Agree, XB256 and the compiler change everything for BASIC coders.

Opry99er,

Have you seen this? http://intellivision.us/intvgames/baseball/baseball.php

World Series MLB was amazing for it's time. But not as fun to play as MLB or All Star Baseball.

Hardball on the C=64 was a fun game BITD.

Back on topic... Can someone do a start to finish scrolling demo in xb or complied xb?

That is,

1. draw a world in Magellan. Show the settings etc. Show how to save it. ( any steps needed )

2. Get the world into XB so it can be used.

3. a simple scroll right/left and up/down loop would be awesome.

I love Magellan, I just don't know how to use it very well. I learn better by seeing an example. ( old an inflexible I guess )

I have been stuck in a create slump, maybe expanding the display area will help me get out of that?

Thank you!

Growing up we played this game more than any other. The INTV sports titles are still amazing to play. I need single player versions. A TI port would be wonderful. Agree, XB256 and Harry's compiler change everything for the BASIC world and completely lower the cost of entry for game programmers.

:) It is a magnificent design... As a rabid baseball fanatic, I get chills when I think about good baseball videogames.

Strike Three is fun, Championship Baseball is about the only reason I still own my MBX system, and seeing your design here got me worked up a bit.

The TI needs a new baseball game, hands down... I wrote a baseball simulation game which was a door game on Heatwave BBS. It was a nice little game, but I think it may never see tge light of day again.

I would pay real dollars for a new baseball game on cart and would jump at the chance to help write it!!

Me too!

I'm interested in seeing an XB scrolling routine please! Agree, XB256 and the compiler change everything for BASIC coders.

Basically you use Magellan and set all your graphics in the A-Z, a-z range. Then you lay them out where you want them on the map.

You then take each row and turn it into a string, with the proper ASCII character in each place (that you re-defined). It will look like this:

"AyfGlPmVvvccdIuReABcXQiin"

Once you get each string done, you use DISPLAY AT to display the portion of the string you want.

This works best inside a window (10x10 or so)

Not fast... but functional. :)

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I'd like to see an export option in Magellan for XB256, since XB256 can use the full range of characters on screen 2, and all the sprites get mapped to the 32-144 range of screen 1. Basically I'd like to see an export option that does what Exporting to Extended Basic does, but maps the full character and color range using XB256 commands. I've been cutting and pasting character defs by hand for the characters out of the 32-144 range.

I've also noticed if you create a blank character, the XB exporter doesn't define that. It just skips that character in the data statements.

Edited by LASooner
  • Like 1

I'd like to see an export option in Magellan for XB256, since XB256 can use the full range of characters on screen 2, and all the sprites get mapped to the 32-144 range of screen 1. Basically I'd like to see an export option that does what Exporting to Extended Basic does, but maps the full character and color range using XB256 commands.

^^^^What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Somebody must have wanted that 'feature' at one point, but if nobody sees the value I can change it to not exclude empty characters.

This might be a little out there, but a programmable report generator would be a cool next version, where people who use "weird" languages can format the output file in different ways.

It would also let you write your current output formats in the report generator and maybe reduce the amount of "hard code" dedicated to this purpose.

Just a thought.