IGNORED

Doom & Quake for 2600?

rpgfaker

Sure, why not. If it only ran two colors instead of 3 the background looks relatively believable. Now....if the system could actually scroll and scale it, how the hell slow would it run?

There's actually a doom for the C=64, and it's running a low res 40 pixel wide image, but then, the C64 is considerably more powerful too.

I highly recommend both Doom and Quake cartridges (which both really push the 2600's capabilities). You should also check out the Channel F port of Crysis, which is truly mind-blowing.

Let's not forget about the Magnavox Odyssey port of World Of Warcraft. Who would have known you could use nothing but a light source to get connected to the internet?

Sarcasm aside, anybody also remember the faked Genesis port? The site is gone, though, due to the closing of GeoCities.

Also, a Doom 2 arcade machine is seen in the movie "Grosse Pointe Blank", but it was a mock up.

• Like 1

Well... I'm not sure that doom isn't possible. Something like a combination of Skeleton and gangster alley. It'd have to be static screens of course, kill everything before you get to move on. Wolfenstein would be the same game with more swastikas.

Well, these three show that something like it can be done:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-merlin-s-walls_14946.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-tunnel-runner_8142.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-escape-from-the-mindmaster_13617.html

8)

• Like 1

And in case anyone hasn't seen this yet, there's also the World of Warcraft port for the Atari 2600:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/moltencore/

Love the video!

That was a hoot!

That isn't just a hoax anymore however. It was released as a game. Not in any form of emulation mind you, but a game none the less.

http://www.gamersuniversity.com/?page_id=209

Yes, someone actually took the screen shots, sat down, and coded a game to match the look and feel! Now, if only it could be converted to actually be played on the Atari!

• Like 1

Doom and Quake for the 2600?is this a joke,must be.There's IMO too much going on in those games for the 2600 to do them justice.I'm not against that,but Quake and Doom?,can that be done?.Post 13 says so,is it definate?I consider that a great feat if so!!!!

Edited by Rik

Cropping is your friend.

If you don't want to be friends with cropping, then Alt-PrintScreen will be your friend.

Oops. Crop and me are friends. However Crop is a neglected friend. I never call, never write. Hell, I don't even send a simple email. I am surprised Crop doesn't even talk to me at all. Poor Crop.

There's actually a doom for the C=64...

No, there isn't. That's a Wolfenstein 3D clone.

Mood is a wolfenstein port? Cool, well, close enough, and my point is more or less the same, 3D, smoothe scrolling, enemies...done in the 40 pixel width that the 2600 uses for a BG image, only thing is, 3-4 colors per scanline, where it would have to be cut to 2 on the 2600.

The 2600 could never be as hectic, but if you don't mind scrolling with the fat BG pixels the 2600 uses, I see no reason someone couldn't take somekind of engine like Merlins walls, rotate it (it doesn't seem to scroll by scanline anyways) and put enemies on it.

Or yeah, just jack Skeleton, or Tunnel run and add a couple of character sprites, and maybe items, a second gun, health pack, whatever.

Edited by Video

Mood is a wolfenstein port?

. Did you even look it up before deciding to call it a Doom clone?

The 2600 could never be as hectic, but if you don't mind scrolling with the fat BG pixels the 2600 uses, I see no reason someone couldn't take somekind of engine like Merlins walls, rotate it (it doesn't seem to scroll by scanline anyways) and put enemies on it.

You think Merlin's Walls runs sideways just for fun? They obviously did it that way because that was the only way they could get that kind of display running on a 2600. Rotating the maze display allows it to be drawn top-to-bottom, 2600 style, such that each ray-cast stripe occupies a single (or double, quadruple, whatever) scanline. The only thing the renderer has to store is the width and color of each line. Rotating the display 90 degrees would require adding enough RAM to buffer two copies of the entire screen, AND you'd lose the ability to have different wall colors.

It's easy for people to say they "see no reason" not to do something when they have no idea what they're talking about.

• Like 2

Wellmy point is you don't need two wall colors. Having color depth might be cool, but is it necessary?

Or for that matter, leave the walls, floors ceilings, etc, all the same color. Just black and use missiles and balls to etch the edge of walls, and contours of the floors/ceilings.

I bet you could rotate a square room smoothly with little or no problem to the 2600.

Of course, it's like most other things, people don't want it to be possible, so they just say "it can't be done" and nobody ever bothers even trying. Unfortunately, that's what I expect most to happen.

As for mood, yeah, sorry about that *kills self* Guess I was just going by what the writer called it. But then again, it's the raycasting engine that was important. Many things can be axed to make it work, or make it work better. IMO, it would have looked better, and scrolled smoother if they gave it flat walls instead of textures. But I'm a dumbass, so nobody would listen to me anyways :P

I bet you could rotate a square room smoothly with little or no problem to the 2600.

Well then, if it's no problem, let us know when you've done it!

Read also....

Of course, it's like most other things, people don't want it to be possible, so they just say "it can't be done" and nobody ever bothers even trying. Unfortunately, that's what I expect most to happen.

:P (do I lie? )

• 2 years later...