IGNORED

People should stop freaking out about the Snes's cpu

Why do people freak out whenever somebody actually says something true and factual about the Super Nintendo's processing power, yet people get praised for extremist trash talking? Why can't people just perceive it the way it is, instead of over-inflating the problem? I'm sick of people's inflated opinions being percieved as factual data through internet sites.

Why do people freak out whenever somebody actually says something true and factual about the Super Nintendo's processing power, yet people get praised for extremist trash talking? Why can't people just perceive it the way it is, instead of over-inflating the problem? I'm sick of people's inflated opinions being percieved as factual data through internet sites.

Are you referring to people talking smack about the SNES's power, or people praising (protecting) it?

Honestly, the SNES had a lot of advantages over other systems of the time, like 3D capability even without the FX chip (all mode 7 games, like HyperZone, Super Mario Kart, Pilot Wings etc.) Plus the sound, music, and color was superb :thumbsup:

I love me an SNES!

Are you referring to people talking smack about the SNES's power, or people praising (protecting) it?

Honestly, the SNES had a lot of advantages over other systems of the time, like 3D capability even without the FX chip (all mode 7 games, like HyperZone, Super Mario Kart, Pilot Wings etc.) Plus the sound, music, and color was superb :thumbsup:

I love me an SNES!

People talking smack about the SNES's power.

I'm tired of every single game review for a run'n'gun or shmup game having an inappropriate snide remark about the Snes's processing power. Such as "There is soo much stuff going on, the Snes's cpu can't handle even half the action without slowing to a crawl!"

I'm also sick of the Snes being thought of as an rpg-only system.

Edited by Multijointed Monster Maker

I'm sick of Genesis being thought of as a sports games and Sonic-only system.

Both of you have good points. I had a SNES and loved it growing up, but I played a lot of Genesis at a friends house during the time also, so I think both systems are very good.

Each system had it's pluses. The Genesis had a faster processor so it was better at doing action and shoot-em-ups. The SNES had superior sound and video hardware, so it featured better graphics and music.

But a great game could be made for EITHER system if the programer knew what they were doing.

The Genesis had some awsome RPG's made for it (the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games) and the SNES had some great fast paced shooting and action games for it (Gradius III, F-Zero, and Contra III)

After all, it's not the HARDWARE that determines if a system does well or not -- it's the GAMES.

i think someone's just upset coz genesis does what nintendon't, and that's a fact.

No that's an opinion.

Guys, we are not here to refight the 16-bit Wars.

It does a disservice to all the veterans on both sides who gave their lives fighting for their console back then. ;)

Edited by Ben_Larson
  • Like 1

Each system had it's pluses. The Genesis had a faster processor so it was better at doing action and shoot-em-ups. The SNES had superior sound and video hardware, so it featured better graphics and music.

The Genesis was only better at action games and shmups for an average skilled programmer. For a programmer who knows how to write fast code for both consoles, the Snes has 128 max sprites onscreen vs 80 max sprites onscreen for Genesis.

Edited by Multijointed Monster Maker

I'm sick of Genesis being thought of as a sports games and Sonic-only system.

Both of you have good points. I had a SNES and loved it growing up, but I played a lot of Genesis at a friends house during the time also, so I think both systems are very good.

But a great game could be made for EITHER system if the programer knew what they were doing.

The Genesis had some awsome RPG's made for it (the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games) and the SNES had some great fast paced shooting and action games for it (Gradius III, F-Zero, and Contra III)

After all, it's not the HARDWARE that determines if a system does well or not -- it's the GAMES.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Both systems had their their good points and their weak points.

It all comes down to the effort put into the game and how it took advantage of the system, and the opinion of the gamer.

As a teen, I was a Nintendo fan boy, where as my Cousin was a Sega fan boy. But we both stayed the night at each others houses almost every weekend, and we hung out a lot in summer time, and both had the same amount of fun on both systems.

The only thing that gets me really irritated is when people go on about how terrible the SNES port of Doom was, and they go on to compare it to the "better" 32X version.

I mean sure, the resolution is pretty low and the frame rate is slow, BUT, it is the only version of Doom ported to console that had all of the levels faithfully reproduced with all the correct textures and sprites, they only cut a couple of the levels out, but kept all the original secret levels, had all three episodes, all the enemies and bosses, and all of the weapons, plus the music was excellent.

Now the 32X version, though it was fast and had higher resolution.. the music was god awful, it was missing more than half the levels, both of the bosses were missing, and the textures were all wrong.

Another thing, people complain that the enemies only face forward in the SNES version.. but I would also like to point out that they only face forward in the 32X version as well.

(But of course that argument has nothing to do with SNES vs. Genesis, it has to do with Williams vs. the team of Japanese developers that produced the 32x port of Doom)

When it comes down to it, the only thing that matters is how much fun you have playing a game! If it had to do with anything, then why did we play the Atari 2600? It certainly wasn't for its sound quality, processing speed, or color palette and music chip.

Edited by jeremysart

There is only one reason I own both the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis...

BUBSY !!!

Don't own very many other games for both that I really care about. Both are basically the same, though I like the music on the SNES version a little bit better.

Edited by doctorclu

There is only one reason I own both the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis...

BUBSY !!!

Don't own very many other games for both that I really care about. Both are basically the same, though I like the music on the SNES version a little bit better.

Is this holdover from April Fools day? :lol:

• Like 1

sega is better it has blast processing!

Now dont get me wrong, but on the Super Nes's power situation, I recall the Sega having an AV issue or two when I first bought my Sega model 2, I put the AV cable in and got no picture.

Come to find out I bent a pin putting the AV cable into the Sega's rear....lol