IGNORED

Who else has a Gemini?

DickNixonArisen

I actually love them. It has a kind of industrial/federal look to it, like it was designed by committee in the 70's. As it probably was.

The combination joystick is really cool too - I like the tight spring feel. Buttons could be better, though. I'd say it's my third favorite stick past the EPYX XJ500 and Wico Command Control.

The sticks were released separately too of course. I forget the name? The only difference was the little foil label in the middle didn't say gemini.

I have one. I got it for "free" in a Craigslist find last summer. I paid $20 for 40+ VCS games and there was the Gemini, sitting at the bottom, underneath the pile. W00t w00t!

It's in excellent shape, cosmetically, but the controller ports are a little flaky. Got the same results when I plugged CX-40s into the ports. I tried the Gemini controllers in my Heavy 6er and they work great, so I know it's the ports. Maybe someday, I'll crack it open and look into the issue.

It is a pretty cool design, though. I'd like to get it up and running someday.

I have one. I got it for "free" in a Craigslist find last summer. I paid $20 for 40+ VCS games and there was the Gemini, sitting at the bottom, underneath the pile. W00t w00t!

It's in excellent shape, cosmetically, but the controller ports are a little flaky. Got the same results when I plugged CX-40s into the ports. I tried the Gemini controllers in my Heavy 6er and they work great, so I know it's the ports. Maybe someday, I'll crack it open and look into the issue.

It is a pretty cool design, though. I'd like to get it up and running someday.

I have had 2 with the same problems. Solder is cracked on the joystick ports. Probably just needs to be heated but I don't have a soldering gun/kit nor have I ever done it. A common failure point on the gemini is also the power supply port for the same reason.

I have had 2 with the same problems. Solder is cracked on the joystick ports. Probably just needs to be heated but I don't have a soldering gun/kit nor have I ever done it. A common failure point on the gemini is also the power supply port for the same reason.

It a real easy solder job to fix the ports. I'd consider it a fairly good project for a beginner. It'll probably take you longer to open the case than it will to solder the connectors :)

I've seen quite a few,like to have one,problem is,they've never been in one piece.Always found cracked with missing chucks of plastic,or the plastic around power supply port broken off usually.

Edited by Rik

Hm. Didn't know they had so many problems, even if minor ones. I'm mostly into the feel of the joysticks and look of the console.

Yeah,seems like the ColecoVison's cheap quality rubbed off on the Gemini's also,makes sense.The CV's weakness seemed to be more in the hardware department where as the Gemini's casings seem to have been made with very brittle or thin plastic.I've never seen a perfect Gemini,always cracked ones.I however do like the Gemini controllers a whole lot ;)

Edited by Rik

Hah, yeah.. I have a broken CV, 7800, NES, jr, two GB's and an SMS. ... Anybody want 'em? just pay shipping hahah

if they're even worth that. it is pretty silly to keep them around. got f' ton of bad 5200 controllers too but who doesn't.

My gemini works great, is nice and clean, no problems at all.

For quite a few years, my Gemini was my main system; I have various other models, but I liked the small size. It worked just fine.

Oddly, it did not come with the original joysticks -- but it did have the original Coleco switchbox and power supply.

I have since picked up a pair (each by itself, not with a console!), but everything is now in storage so I have not yet had a chance to test them out.

For quite a few years, my Gemini was my main system; I have various other models, but I liked the small size. It worked just fine.

Oddly, it did not come with the original joysticks -- but it did have the original Coleco switchbox and power supply.

I have since picked up a pair (each by itself, not with a console!), but everything is now in storage so I have not yet had a chance to test them out.

I don't have have a Gemini, but found your controllers at the San Jose Flea Market a couple of years ago. I used them for a little while, but eventually went back to regular paddles and my favorite joystick.

I don't have a Gemini, but a I do have the expansion module #1 (VCS Adapter) for the ColecoVision system and I think the board is basically the same sans the RF modulator. It still works well and the video is as good are better than any of my Atari 2600's/VCS's.

• 2 months later...

I'm actually looking for a Gemini, but I can't seem to find one for a good price. All I need is a loose one (that works and doesn't have a broken case :D )...

Does anyone know if the Gemini is compatible with Sears Video Arcade II controllers? Or, more to the point, are Dual Command and Video Arcade II controllers interchangeable (can each system use the others' controllers)?

I've seen quite a few,like to have one,problem is,they've never been in one piece.Always found cracked with missing chucks of plastic,or the plastic around power supply port broken off usually.

I just picked up another Gemini at a yard sale (it was in a box of systems. Has the exact same problems as the one I got back in April. Once I get my soldering iron, I'll try fixing them both up. :)

BTW, both cases are in great shape, so I guess I lucked out in that department. :)

Edited by Deteacher

Last year I pulled a really nice Gemini with both controllers and a bunch of games out of the trash at the warehouse at my work. It was in the child center and then I guess it got put in the warehouse cause they thought it was broken. Turns out the power cord on the inside just needed to get soldered back to the board. Works like new now. The controllers work good except the paddles are a little jittery. I'm planning on selling it as soon as I get done moving.