IGNORED

Want to buy Sio2SD in case - any ideas where?

panamajoe

Hmmm... that looks really sharp. I've got an SIO2SD and an XM301. Would you consider doing another one? I'd compensate you for your time, of course.

As you can see, I'm busy making a second one now and I think it will turn out better than my own! Naturally the more I make, the better they get. I have a standard charge for the job (which takes about ten hours) which this client finds very fair indeed. PM me. :D

Very nice mods.

SDrive woud be aesthetically less invasive.

Although w1k's mod looks extremely good, I'd favour SDrive or SIO2IDE as an internal mod. I have no problem hacking up XM301s, however, and the LCD looks pretty cool into the bargain. icon_smile.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

External SIO2xx(x) have the advantage that you can move them from one Atari 8 bit computer to the next. Or use them on two computers at the same time (using the automatic two computer interface).

How is that done Mathy? Does it utilize the second SIO header on the PCB?

Here's the state of the second unit:

post-21964-127136336283_thumb.jpg

Shame was can't have a metal badge with "ATARI SIO2SD". icon_mrgreen.gif

...Blog updated for those who want to have a go themselves.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Since I've had many enquires, I'll repeat what I have said in PMs: I charge 50GBP to do the conversion work, plus any significant outward shipping costs. I certainly prefer to receive an SIO2SD unit and XM301 case (it keeps things simple). I prefer the modem innards too - simply because although I remove the PCB (and can return it if required), I remove the modem socket and glue it to the hole at the back of the case for aesthetic reasons. At the very least, send me the phone line socket if you wish to first remove it yourself from the XM301 PCB.

I'll exchange shipping and address details via PM on an individual basis. Note that even with my relatively sparse schedule at the moment, these things take a week to make when you're married (probably a day if you're single), so even if you send me money and parts (you can pay immediately or when I notify you the part is complete and ready for despatch: either suits me) straight away, it could be several weeks before you get your unit back in the post. Rather than overload myself and start having to rush these things, I'd prefer to take my time and make a good job of them. icon_smile.gif Making the second ever part this week has reminded me just how time-consuming and skill-intensive these things are.

Edited by flashjazzcat

The blog is great!! I have that exact SIO2SD and an XM301 myself (which I bought specifcally for the project) and I'm gonna follow your blog with great interest. One thing I'd like to know....where did you get the buttons?

Thanks! The buttons came from FM radios from the £1 shop. There were three to a unit and I bought four last year, so I need to source some more if I'm going to make any more. If I find something suitable, I'll post here. I have alternatives (narrower red buttons), but I don't think they look as good as the silver ones.

You can order the radio (with 3 buttons) here: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1704733928481?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170473392848&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]