IGNORED

Prototype ColecoVision Controller PCBs with spinner componets

Yurkie

I have taken apart and refurbished well over 100 ColecoVision standard controllers and had never saw boards with the spinner components on them until I came across these 2 about a month back. They where from a craigslist purchase. There was no difference in the controller housings, and I didn't notice the until I took the second controller apart. These 2 PCBs are the only ones I have ever saw that have the spinner components soldered in place along with an extra 2 diodes. Here are some pictures. Note that the board to the left of the ones with the spinner components that has the location marked,this is quite common. There are many different boards and many don't even have markings for placement of the spinner components. I also have a Super Action Controller PCB and spinner knob posted for reference. Note that the standard controller components are horizontal and the SAC are vertical. These boards are as found. All I did was remove them from the controller housings. Note the double-sided tape under the components.

post-23318-127126010859_thumb.jpg

post-23318-127126014199_thumb.jpg

post-23318-127126016988_thumb.jpg

post-23318-12712601921_thumb.jpg

So the spinner on these boards where above the keypad?

Every photo I seen shows it below the Keypad, very interesting.

But the way there postioned means the spinner would go vertical, spin up and down, hmm

The controllers housing these came out of were no different than any others, the pcbs just have the spinner components soldered in place. I believe I saw a photo of a proto controller with the spinner above the keypad somewhere. My guess is that the magnets in the spinner knob would be mounted differently so that it would spin horizontal. There wouldn't be enough room for it to be vertical.

But the way there postioned means the spinner would go vertical, spin up and down, hmm

The controllers housing these came out of were no different than any others, the pcbs just have the spinner components soldered in place. I believe I saw a photo of a proto controller with the spinner above the keypad somewhere. My guess is that the magnets in the spinner knob would be mounted differently so that it would spin horizontal. There wouldn't be enough room for it to be vertical.

Todd, does these boards comes from me?

Yep, horizontal should still work. That's why the reed switches are offset left/right.

Todd, does these boards comes from me?

Not sure what your asking.

If you mean, are these out of controllers that you sent to me the answer is NO.

Like I said in the posting these are from a complete set....Console, 2 controllers, power supply and about 8 common carts. I bought off craigslist about a month ago.

I believe I saw a photo of a proto controller with the spinner above the keypad somewhere.

Those PCBs comes from the Prototype #2 System

Actually, a decision from Coleco was to remove those spinner from the Final Design...

Maybe it was a commercial purpose due to the Super Action Controller

I do believe that alot of those boards were already produced and they used the same pcbs in the final design until they were getting out of..

The same happen with cartridges, you can have an authentic cart with eprom of the Final Version in...

Anyway, here's a pic of the Prototype #2 Controller

post-11933-127128009216_thumb.png

I believe I saw a photo of a proto controller with the spinner above the keypad somewhere.

Actually, a decision from Coleco was to remove those spinner from the Final Design...

I do believe that alot of those boards were already produced and they used the same pcbs in the final design until they were getting out of..

The same happen with cartridges, you can have an authentic cart with eprom of the Final Version in...

Is that controller in your collection J-F?

No, The only coleco "physical" prototype I own, is a "ADAM Final System Prototype"

previously seen on ebay

I've buy 1 of the 2 unit with another guy

I do believe that our unit were from the 1st ADAM prototype concept (look at Colecovision.dk)

No, The only coleco "physical" prototype I own, is a "ADAM Final System Prototype"

previously seen on ebay

I do believe that our unit were from the 1st ADAM prototype concept (look at Colecovision.dk)

My girlfriend thinks I should refurbish these 2 boards and put them in controllers with ball knobs. I told her, that you wouldn't be able to tell they had the spinner components on them when assembled, and she said she realized that, but still thinks it would be cool.

previously seen on ebay

My girlfriend thinks I should refurbish these 2 boards and put them in controllers with ball knobs. I told her, that you wouldn't be able to tell they had the spinner components on them when assembled, and she said she realized that, but still thinks it would be cool.

I'll buy one for sure buddy! .. but with no ballknob please! :D

I must be the only one who actually love the Coleco standart Controller :D

I *think* I've got a few of these with components in them (99% sure, would have to look again to be positive, but not really worth taking apart a bunch of controllers to me! lol). I don't think there's anything 'special' about them, just early revisions of the board. Coleco probably had the next production run made without the components to save money. Someone may be willing to spend more on them, but to me, they're just another varied revision of the Coleco Controller board.

Edited by Murph74

The spinners are useless if added, since you need four buttons to play super action games.

I'd save those boards for parts for SAC's if you every need unused sensors.

Has it been determined though that this is same type of spinner as found on the Super Action Controllers? The Super Action Controller spinners have a different action from traditional spinners.

The spinners are useless if added, since you need four buttons to play super action games.

I'd save those boards for parts for SAC's if you every need unused sensors.

I wouldn't ever need extra SAC parts, I hate those controllers.

I made a circuit and put 4 face buttons on a controller to make it a SAC. Only a couple SAC games and even less that need the spinner. I believe baseball and football are the only 2.

I just thought the extra mounted components where cool.

Not looking to sell these, just thought it would make an interesting post.

Just checked a few of mine and found two silk screened versions. Earlier revision numbers than the one you have -

Rev F and 5603481 on the pcb.

Likewise, it's interesting to note that the one with the components, the connections for the cable appear to be different. More of the slide on contact variety vs. through hole solder like the empty silk screened PCB variant. I noticed on the latter (at least on mine) that Violet and White are not being used, and my guess is that has to do with the additional signal needed for the spinner. So If someone wanted to add a spinner to these, you'd need a cable with all 9 lines.

Just checked a few of mine and found two silk screened versions. Earlier revision numbers than the one you have -

Rev F and 5603481 on the pcb.

Likewise, it's interesting to note that the one with the components, the connections for the cable appear to be different. More of the slide on contact variety vs. through hole solder like the empty silk screened PCB variant. I noticed on the latter (at least on mine) that Violet and White are not being used, and my guess is that has to do with the additional signal needed for the spinner. So If someone wanted to add a spinner to these, you'd need a cable with all 9 lines.

Cool, thanks for the info! :D