IGNORED

Fans of Ghouls'n'Ghosts Unite!

Hi there!

I just nominated SG'n'G for Capcoms Retro Idol Experience!

Let's hope it'll even manage to enter the contest. Right now he needs more nominations, so if you have a capcom-unity account, please join me in this quest and add your support as well :)

Arthur needs our support! :D

ATTENTION: Don't hijack this thread for other Capcom Retro Idols, just open another thread if you must!

Greetings,

Manuel

One of my favorite SNES games. Finally beating it legit with the crappy ring weapon is one of my greatest gaming accomplishments.

Now you have to do it on professional mode. ;)

Seriously though, this is by far one of my favorite games from that time period. I can go back to it now like it was yesterday, and still stomp it like I did when I was younger. In fact, I did just that last week. :)

Edited by Austin

That game kicked my ass, a LOT. But it was fun and pretty too.

The trick is to stick with the crossbow weapon through most of the game. The red devils are tough to kill with anything else.

Yeah, Red Arremers are the bane of any player in the GnG series. I'm surprised at how much of a breeze both Astaroth (blue fuzzy-headed boss with a red robe) and Nebiroth (far more powerful version before the true final stage) were.

The nice thing about the Armerers in the original Ghosts 'n Goblins is that they can be baited, allowing you to control their actions. Not so in Super Ghouls 'n Ghost (at least, not that I have figured out)--they are a royal pain in the ass in this game. They are not quite as bad in the original Ghouls 'n Ghosts though (arcade and Genesis), at least, they don't idle and avoid every shot as much as they do in SGnG.

Edited by Austin

I'm surprised at how much of a breeze both Astaroth (blue fuzzy-headed boss with a red robe) and Nebiroth (far more powerful version before the true final stage) were.

I thought those guys were tough to beat with the ring weapon. Took me awhile.

I'm surprised at how much of a breeze both Astaroth (blue fuzzy-headed boss with a red robe) and Nebiroth (far more powerful version before the true final stage) were.

I thought those guys were tough to beat with the ring weapon. Took me awhile.

yes, same here, especially if you don't have the green or gold armor (it doesn't shoot as far if you don't). Then, it also gets weaker the farther it's shot, so you have to be extremely close to get good damage. Of course, on those bosses, being close is the last place you want to be, haha. :)

If I counted right, SGNG got three nominations for Capcoms Retro Idol Experience so far, I hope that's good enough for it to even enter the show :)

Does the Super Ghouls & Ghosts on the Capcom Collection for PS2 count? Same as the SNES version but no slow down!

Thank heavens SNES9X doesn't emulate the slowdown either ;)

I always thought SGNG was the easiest of the Capcom made GNG games, as both Arcades and the NES one seemed to be much harder. The two from Sega are both easier, especially the one for the Master System is a joke.

Of the modern ones, the PSP game was okay, albeit too much of a collect-a-thon, and I've never played the iPhone version.

Well, the thing about Astaroth and Nebiroth is that they're pattern is HIGHLY predictable. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Astaroth's AI can easily be manipulated (force where the jet of fire and the laser is fired).

Hm, I'd like to see that in action. I had a hell of a time on Professional mode last week and ended up giving up (An hour or two of play down the drain! I love it!). :o

Of the modern ones, the PSP game was okay, albeit too much of a collect-a-thon

There was a Japan only "Kai" version of that game for PSP that removed the collecting (though it still has the original version with the collecting too). That sounds like the definitive version.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is awesome, but I'm not sure if I like it better than Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Throwing in my love for Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

Right now I'm trying to set a new best time for a speedrun of Professional mode - it's taking forever because I'm not allowed to get hit the entire game :(

But I try for a few hours every other day on my ustream if anyone wants to watch:

My guess is it'll be done in a week or two.

Anyway, the game itself is awesome. Beating it casually is a great feeling. I agree with using the Bow for normal play, except in Level 4 it's a really bad idea. Usually I try to powered-up knife my way through the game, but losing the upgraded armor right before Level 6 is pretty bad.

Speed-running it on pro mode without getting hit? Are we talking twice through, finishing the game with the ring? If so, you've gotta be on crack! I will definitely like to see the end result. :)

Yeah, twice through and finishing with the bracelet. Technically I'm allowed to get hit during the final boss without losing too much time, but from the first stage up through the end of Round 2 Level 7, having upgraded armor is necessary.

Currently I've finished 5 speedruns of this game - on Normal mode, my times are 42:37 and 41:12, on Professional mode my times are 42:05, 41:34, and 40:52. I'm trying to beat that 40:52 now, I'm pretty sure I can take off another 30 seconds or so.

BTW your post #666 is about SGnG. That's pretty good.

Speed-running it on pro mode without getting hit? Are we talking twice through, finishing the game with the ring? If so, you've gotta be on crack! I will definitely like to see the end result. :)

Yeah, twice through and finishing with the bracelet. Technically I'm allowed to get hit during the final boss without losing too much time, but from the first stage up through the end of Round 2 Level 7, having upgraded armor is necessary.

Currently I've finished 5 speedruns of this game - on Normal mode, my times are 42:37 and 41:12, on Professional mode my times are 42:05, 41:34, and 40:52. I'm trying to beat that 40:52 now, I'm pretty sure I can take off another 30 seconds or so.

BTW your post #666 is about SGnG. That's pretty good.

I'm working on it now if you want to stop by. Beware - constant failure.

Oh noes! :o :o :o

SGnG didn't even manage to enter the show! :sad:

Here's a rundown of the 17 titles that made the cut:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/04/26/capcom_unity_retro_idol:_your_top_17_games

What do you all say, should we switch to support Demons Crest instead now?

The GnG universe absolutely needs some love! :cool:

Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts was one of my favourites on the Snes. Great music, graphics, gameplay and atmosphere.

super-ghouls-n-ghosts-sn-png.pngPNG, 792x2109px, 1366 KB (1.33 MB)

You can download a longplay of it too in high quality.

http://www.archive.org/details/Longplay-SuperGhoulsNGhosts_SNES

(use the cinepack alternative for max resolution)

Edited by DimensionX