IGNORED

Fans of Ghouls'n'Ghosts Unite!

Demon's Crest is an amazing experience. Presentation-wise, arguably the best game for SNES. The mood it conveys, the effects, the music, etc are just excellent. I've always like the Gargoyle's Quest trilogy and Demon's Crest is easily the best of the 3 IMO :thumbsup: X 100

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but does anybody besides me find Capcom's graphical style annoying? I always felt like Capcom always takes too much time working on background details and not enough time working on animation. If I was working on Demon's Crest I would've gave less ROM devoted on background tiles and more ROM devoted to sprite frames.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but does anybody besides me find Capcom's graphical style annoying? I always felt like Capcom always takes too much time working on background details and not enough time working on animation. If I was working on Demon's Crest I would've gave less ROM devoted on background tiles and more ROM devoted to sprite frames.

Eh.. annoying? Considering the kind of animation in this game was roughly standard for at least 95% of the rest of the SNES's library, I'd say the visuals in most of the system's games are annoying! ;) :lol:

More frames of animation would have been nice, but then again, we *are* talking about the SNES here.. Not exactly a power-house, even in its hey-day. You focus on more frames of character animation, you probably end up sacrificing much of the cool, moving/animated background elements (admittedly a big part of the magic in [quality] SNES platformers, IMO). Imagine Demon's Crest with bad-ass character animations slapped on flat, static, boring backgrounds that look like they came out of the Power Rangers cart.. meh, I'll pass! ;) :D

Speaking of Demon's Crest, I just picked this one up today.. A local used shop had a complete one in excellent shape. Paid more than I wanted to, but what the hell.. It's good to have it again. :P

Edited by Austin

how good is the NES demon game? My friend has it, But haven't seen it around much. It's an rpg, I understand.

It's a fun game. Challenging, too--particularly that final boss. If I remember right, there was more talking and "adventuring", though.. Not quite as cut-and-dry as Demon's crest, which primarily puts forth its story in the action stages themselves.

If you enjoyed Demon's Crest, I recommend checking out the NES predecessor. It has plenty of similar elements, albeit in a more simplistic fashion.

Eh.. annoying? Considering the kind of animation in this game was roughly standard for at least 95% of the rest of the SNES's library, I'd say the visuals in most of the system's games are annoying! ;) :lol:

More frames of animation would have been nice, but then again, we *are* talking about the SNES here.. Not exactly a power-house, even in its hey-day. You focus on more frames of character animation, you probably end up sacrificing much of the cool, moving/animated background elements (admittedly a big part of the magic in [quality] SNES platformers, IMO). Imagine Demon's Crest with bad-ass character animations slapped on flat, static, boring backgrounds that look like they came out of the Power Rangers cart.. meh, I'll pass! ;) :D

Speaking of Demon's Crest, I just picked this one up today.. A local used shop had a complete one in excellent shape. Paid more than I wanted to, but what the hell.. It's good to have it again. :P

Sadly I already know that. I do homebrew on the Super Nintendo and I find it depressing that the greatest programmers in the day thought this was the best they can do.

Sadly I already know that. I do homebrew on the Super Nintendo and I find it depressing that the greatest programmers in the day thought this was the best they can do.

Great. Just let me know once you made a SNES game better than Demon's Crest. I'll be first in line to buy it.

Meanwhile over at Capcoms, Firebrand got the frontpage spotlight today:

Capcom Retro Idol #9 Demon's Crest

• 2 weeks later...

Speed-running it (Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts) on pro mode without getting hit? Are we talking twice through, finishing the game with the ring? If so, you've gotta be on crack! I will definitely like to see the end result. :)

The end result is I made a 39:41 and considered it done. The video's in submission process at speeddemosarchive, so when it's up I'll get back to you. I did get hit, but at the very end and it didn't really cost time.

Edited by kareshi

On a side note, I busted out the Demon's Crest today and ran through it from start to finish in about 90 minutes. I wasn't able to find all of the talisman items though and because of that I couldn't obtain the final Blue/Purple demon form (The one that allows me to get to that final, final, mega-last-boss). That always seems to happen to me.. Ah well, I guess I'll have to visit Game Faqs next time I give it a go. Regardless, it was still fun though.. :)

Edited by Austin

Just watched a gameplay video of Mega Man X. I'm wondering why if Mega Man is also made by Capcom, why is Mega Man's animation so much better than the animation in Demon's Crest? I always seemed to notice that all the "kiddy" games on the Super Nintendo (Mega Man, Sparkster, Pocky & Rocky etc) have smoother/faster animation than the more "adult" games like Demon's Crest and Super Ghosts and Gouls. I have fond memories of the Super Nintendo, but I grew up playing the kiddy games, and Demon's Crest doesn't match the Super Nintendo I grew to know and love. Mega Man X is the kind of game I remember playing as a child that I associate with the Super Nintendo.

Ah, so you already were here. I'm sorry, I didn't check first when pointing you here ;)

I thought it would've been cooler if one had three votes for this round. I'd have chosen BoF as well and probably Bionic Commando third.

But well, this way the Mega Man fanatics had to pick one of the six MM titles, hopefully eliminating at least five of them this time :lolblue:

Hooray! :D

With our strong support Demon's Crest made it into the next round! Even better, it finished in a spectacular 5th place! This gives hope that the red-winged demon might even make it into the round of the final 5! :o :love:

Please keep voting for Demon's Crest again in the next round. To quote Capcom:

This entire voting process, in case you've forgotten, is research that is going to affect the future of Capcom games. I can't go into more detail....yet...but rest assured your votes mean something!

So if you have a unity account, here's your chance to push Firebrand over the next hurdle:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/06/01/capcom_retro_idol:_choose_your_top_five!

still did better than I'd expect, though. I guess people weren't using this chance to stick up for an underused franchise (even if it wasn't demon's crest/GnG) if MMx and SF2 were here. I mean, Capcom alread KNOWS that we want more of that. They didn't (necessarily) know we wanted more strider apparently or Breath of fire 2 (loved it, but it was patchy in places(

It was mostly bad luck I guess. The voters of the 4 Mega Man titles that got dropped out in the first round most likely gave Mega Man2 the boost to overtake Demon's Crest.

Demon's Crest and G'n'G combined had over 10% in the first round, but "unfortunately" they both made it into the Top 10, so the "G'n'G" votes where still divided between those two.

I went with BoF II now. It's only coming in 3rd in my rating of the series (IV > I > II > III > V), but it's still better than the other remaining choices IMO ;)