IGNORED

VGA converter for 800XL

Havok69

So it's been discussed many times, however as technology changes and new products come to market, what is the current consensus as to which converter is best for plug and play operation? I am specifically looking to connect an NTSC 800XL to a 17" LCD computer monitor that has analog and digital inputs. I've been scouring the past threads, and it always seems that there needs to be modifications made to get the best picture. Besides the S-video mod for the 800XL, what are the best options to get a modern LCD with a sharp image and no interference\lines in the picture?

Or at the very least, is there a model we can standardize on, and a step by step procedure for modifying it?

And if we can get some good documentation in this thread, perhaps sticky it?

You could use a simple capture card (or USB) and use your PC to display. You could also use a USB TV card and re-purpose an old laptop. Simply use the composite or S-Video inputs on these devices.

The GTIA generates an S-video specific signal no matter what, so you aren't going to get anything better. Besides, not many monitors now days do NTSC/PAL horizontal refresh rates, unless it's a TV specific monitor. A TV card and a computer that you already own is much cheaper than a converter box that averages $100 US.

Well the eBay converter is only $23 shipped. That's not too painful if it doesn't work out. Looks like the cheese box has been discontinued, and the Video View is the replacement:

http://www.interloper.com/products/product-details.php?productid=54440003&cat=54&mfgn=&page=1&sec=1&od=

Might be a good time to get the cheese box as places should be clearing them out.

The computer option is a good idea, but I really wanted to do a dedicated setup next to my main computer. With all the junk I have on my main system it would be a hassle to put the Atari in front of it, or have to look at the screen sideways while typing. I could do it, since I have digital and analog connections on the monitor, but I would like to keep them separate.

Is there anyone else that has a converter box with a LCD computer monitor that's nice and crisp?

I had a TV PC Card for a laptop, but it was nearly unusable. Many of them add a short delay, like 1 to 3 seconds, as they record to the hard drive before they render. They do this to enable video capture and other somewhat advanced features. The net effect is that video games don't really work well. I don't think all of the TV Tuner cards do this, but many do so you should look out for that.

I use an Ambrey AV-8 upscaler and it does work quite well. My 130XE has a nearly perfect picture. My 1200XL on the other hand.....

http://www.ambery.com/vitoxgacoscs.html

HTH

Ken

Well the eBay converter is only $23 shipped. That's not too painful if it doesn't work out. Looks like the cheese box has been discontinued, and the Video View is the replacement:

http://www.interloper.com/products/product-details.php?productid=54440003&cat=54&mfgn=&page=1&sec=1&od=

Does that one have a built-in speaker? All solutions I've tried are incomplete (i.e., they suck). They show pictures hooking up VCRs, Cameras, etc. but they forget about the audio connections. Good for watching silent films/videos or hook up some complex amplifier and make a mess out of the wiring.

There are these, which I've heard good things from in the Amiga Community:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1105174943641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110517494364&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Check the feedbacks. I think 147 negatives in one year is not that good (even for so many transactions).

That doesn't mean one can just try to get the same thing from another place.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1105174943641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=110517494364&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Check the feedbacks. I think 147 negatives in one year is not that good (even for so many transactions).

That doesn't mean one can just try to get the same thing from another place.

That device looks almost exactly the same as this one from Sewell Direct, except the Sewell device uses a BNC connector instead of an RCA. I bought a similar Sewell device to convert VGA to NTSC (Composite and S-Video) and I have been very happy with it. I can sit on my couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse and play emulated games on my old standard def TV set, which looks "right", because that's the type of display these games were created for.

SW-22418_lg.jpg

That Ambery AV-8 looks pretty good, at least as far as the specs are concerned. I like it does full screen, and outputs in 1280x1024, which is the native resolution of my 17" LCD. Anyone else use that one with an 800XL?

Freshy - are you using composite or s-video on your 130XE?

I Tried this one from ebay. The Video Quality Sucked

Good to know - I'll cross that off my list...

Edited by Havok69

I have two devices. One is high def, the other ordinary def. Both look great when used with Ataris. The latency is a PITA, but it can be eliminated.

Just don't use the application that comes with the capture device.

One that works well, but is somewhat rough to setup is Dscaler. All it does is simply take the raw video data and blast it to the screen. There are other applications like this. Often the preview screen in movie applications avoids the latency too.

USB devices are fast enough to just do the video near real-time.

I have a Grand Video Console. It has audio in/out, a VGA pass-through, composite, and s-video input. Also has 3 output resolutions (640X480, 800X600, 1024X768) each of which will do 60Hz or 75Hz. You can hook up 3 devices at the same time, and switch them via the remote. I used to have my 130XE connected via s-video, and the XEP80 through the composite. It made a nice switcher. It also works as a "flicker-filter" which is great. Interlaced modes don't flicker at all.

Now the bad news. It can't properly de-interlace the A8's "improper" signal. Since there are no even and odd fields, you end up with every other scanline being dropped by one. The best test for these devices is Flicker-Term. It cannot display a straight line. A row of underscores which should look like ______ looks like _-_-_-_-_.

I have a Grand Video Console. It has audio in/out, a VGA pass-through, composite, and s-video input. Also has 3 output resolutions (640X480, 800X600, 1024X768) each of which will do 60Hz or 75Hz. You can hook up 3 devices at the same time, and switch them via the remote. I used to have my 130XE connected via s-video, and the XEP80 through the composite. It made a nice switcher. It also works as a "flicker-filter" which is great. Interlaced modes don't flicker at all.

Now the bad news. It can't properly de-interlace the A8's "improper" signal. Since there are no even and odd fields, you end up with every other scanline being dropped by one. The best test for these devices is Flicker-Term. It cannot display a straight line. A row of underscores which should look like ______ looks like _-_-_-_-_.

How does the audio portion work? Does it provide an amplifier and/or speaker or just converts RCA type to those mini-stereo type headphone connectors?

The one I have is okay for 640*480 mode but gets some interference/noise in higher resolutions.

How does the audio portion work? Does it provide an amplifier and/or speaker or just converts RCA type to those mini-stereo type headphone connectors?

The one I have is okay for 640*480 mode but gets some interference/noise in higher resolutions.

There is no amplifier, it's just a pass-through. Takes 1/8" stereo PC input, and has 2 female RCA inputs which are shared between the composite & s-video in. Worked nicely for me, as I had stock Atari + XEP80 with shared Atari audio, then I could also switch a PC with audio to the same monitor.

I use an S-Video cable I got off E-Bay.

That Ambery AV-8 looks pretty good, at least as far as the specs are concerned. I like it does full screen, and outputs in 1280x1024, which is the native resolution of my 17" LCD. Anyone else use that one with an 800XL?

Freshy - are you using composite or s-video on your 130XE?