IGNORED

TI99-4/A Disk drive help

Also post in a Yahoo TI99 group:

I was told when I purchased my PEB that it had the stock TI drive and

controller. Was the drive used a SS or DS drive?

When I make TI disks on my PC that are SS,SD they work great.

When I make TI disks on my PC that are DS,SD they don't seem to work.

I can get a catalog but it will fail with an error.

When I use DM2 and do an error check I get bad address on everything over 360.

All the way up to 720.

These are the disk images I'm using Ti99-pc to make:

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/v9t9/Funnelweb/

When I formatted a disk in the Ti with DM2 and it asked me Single Sided I

answered no, but when I put that disk in the PC ti9-pc says its a SS,SD disk. I

think I did something wrong though...

Tracks per side 40

Single sided N

Single density Y

Does that yield a DS,SD disk?

Also when I catalog the DS,SD disk in ti99-pc I get a full list of the files

with no error.

Could it be a single sided drive? I have a few in a couple of my TRS-80 drive

units... Maybe something is broken?

The stock TI drives are SS/SD.

I believe the controller can handle DS/SD, but not double density.

If you want DS/DD you will need a upgraded controller, such as a Corcomp or Myarc controller, and a DS/DD drive too.

These controllers tend to fetch high prices on Ebay these days and are really quite rare.

If you want DS/DD you will need a upgraded controller, such as a Corcomp or Myarc controller, and a DS/DD drive too.

These controllers tend to fetch high prices on Ebay these days and are really quite rare.

Thanks. Since I posted this I installed two 360K drives in my PEB and now I can use DS,SD disks.

Not knowing enough about the TI99 and its disk system, and no idea what type of hardware was in the PEB had me very confussed.

I have it all sorted out now. :)

Thanks. Since I posted this I installed two 360K drives in my PEB and now I can use DS,SD disks.

Not knowing enough about the TI99 and its disk system, and no idea what type of hardware was in the PEB had me very confussed.

I have it all sorted out now. :)

Where'd you get the drives from? And/or what type of drives did you use? I want to set up mine with one 5 1/4" and two 3 1/2" drives but I'd like them to be DS/SD rather than SS/SD. I'm prety sure I'm getting a stock TI controller and it's be nice to have the drives available when the controller shows up.

Thanks,

Steve

IIRC the TI disk drives are no different than the floppy drives used on a XT at the time. Yes, common hardware between IBM & TI.

That is correct. I happened to use the drives from a spare TRS-80 coco drive setup I had just sitting on a shelf.

If I remember correct those drive I got from ebay many years ago.

IIRC the TI disk drives are no different than the floppy drives used on a XT at the time. Yes, common hardware between IBM & TI.

That is correct. I happened to use the drives from a spare TRS-80 coco drive setup I had just sitting on a shelf.

Do you know which model TRS-80 drives they are? Were they together as a sets? And did you look in the PEB to see if you have the stock TI controller or a 3rd party?

Thanks,

Steve

Do you know which model TRS-80 drives they are? Were they together as a sets? And did you look in the PEB to see if you have the stock TI controller or a 3rd party?

Thanks,

Steve

You can use any IBM compatible 5.25" 360K drives. I have the stock TI controller. It supports Double sided, but only single density. So the most you will get from the 360K drive is 180K. Still its a whole other side of a disk and double the 90K of the stock drive.

Also the PEB doesnt have the correct holes to mount 1/2 height drives. I drilled holes in the peb for this. If you want to have 2 drives you will need to make a custom cable with 2 card edge connectors for the drives and a female pin connector for the controller. You cant use a PC twisted cable. The last drive on the cable needs to be terminated. All the drives I have, this is a chip that plugs in.

Obvious but you will also need a Y adapter for the power plug if you want 2 drives.

You can use any IBM compatible 5.25" 360K drives. I have the stock TI controller. It supports Double sided, but only single density. So the most you will get from the 360K drive is 180K. Still its a whole other side of a disk and double the 90K of the stock drive.

Also the PEB doesnt have the correct holes to mount 1/2 height drives. I drilled holes in the peb for this. If you want to have 2 drives you will need to make a custom cable with 2 card edge connectors for the drives and a female pin connector for the controller. You cant use a PC twisted cable. The last drive on the cable needs to be terminated. All the drives I have, this is a chip that plugs in.

Obvious but you will also need a Y adapter for the power plug if you want 2 drives.

Okay, so let's say I only use the one 5 1/4" that's coming in the mail. What about adding 3 1/2" Drives? Isn't there some kind of jumper on the Drive that has to be set or soldered or a trace that has to be cut?

Okay, so let's say I only use the one 5 1/4" that's coming in the mail. What about adding 3 1/2" Drives? Isn't there some kind of jumper on the Drive that has to be set or soldered or a trace that has to be cut?

Try this site. It may be able to help you.

http://web.lowcountry.com/~compdr/