IGNORED

I just beat Troy Aikman NFL Football

jeremiahjt

Just as the title says I conquered Troy Aikman and was awarded with another lame Jaguar ending. Awesome!

How many people out there have actually gone through an entire season? Going by how many (or few) threads there are about this game I would guess not many.

I actually found the game enjoyable, but there are a few simple things that could have been done to vastly improve this game.

Has anybody ever played the Genesis or Snes versions? I'm curious how the Jag version compares to those.

• Like 1

I played through an entire season before, with a friend for the whole season, both of us. I really liked the game back in the day, it was my favorite football game for the first 2 years after it came out. of course I moved onto the 3D polygon NFL games after that. I've never seen the 16-bit versions. I actually, just recently started a new season that I am upto the 3rd game in now, just out of nostalgia. I'm having a lot of fun with it again and I will finish the season I started, but over several days or weeks or months...we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Brutal sports football is very cool. I remember in college (back in '94) there was an arcade game, IIRC, called 'Pigskins' and it was a very similiar game to Brutal. I remember hoping that the game would come to the Jaguar, and just a short time later getting Brutal! It's as good or better than the arcade game, though there are differences and both are cool. But Brutal Sports Football, isn't European "soccer" football or American football; it's more like a cross between "soccer" with the goalie and other positions, and the face-off, etc. and Rugby, with the oval ball and running and throwing, etc. So it's a unique and weird variation on several "football" style games.With lots of violence thrown in for good measure,and a dash of American football. It' the "football" game that pays homage to all the different nation's styles of football.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Yeah yeah, "GridIron" and "Futbol/Football/Footy". We get it already. :D

But, 'Sensible Soccer' IS the name of the game isn't it? :P

Unfortunately I haven't spent much time playing either. Congrats to anyone who has the fortitude to play through it, lol. I did experience 'Brutal Sports Football' on the Jag at a friend's and it was pretty fun. 'Mutant League Football' and 'Mutant League Hockey' were two Genesis titles I did enjoy as well.

Also a very popular "Football" game is 'Football Manager' which is also on the list of games I'd like to play one day. :)

I actually like International Sensible Soccer a lot more than Troy Aikman too. That doesn't change the fact that I hate soccer with a passion.

I hate people who call it soccer with a passion :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the SNES version when it first came out, before I owned a Jaguar. When I was in high school (ca. 1993-4) I used to waste time dreaming up plays on notebook paper to try in the play editor.

I enjoyed the SNES version, and IMHO some of the music and sounds are a little better. But I like the improved graphics, bigger sprites, and overall feel of the Jaguar version. I played two seasons, one in which I won with the Cowboys, and one with the Bengals in which I came up short in the Super Bowl. Getting the Bengals there was a real challenge!

Troy Aikman and Syndicate were the first games I got for my Jag back in the day, besides the pack-in Cybermorph. I played Troy Aikman a lot back then, and completed several seasons. There are a few plays you can exploit to beat the other guys and score nearly every time. I used to win games 70-some points to nothing.

• 7 months later...

I am having trouble completing passes on the highest difficulty level - "Veteran." It seems to require precise timing between the QB & WR. I have only been able to complete a handful of passes on this level. The other two difficulties; Rookie and Pro have something like a WR "auto-catch" feature, so that after you throw the ball, if timed correctly, the WR will automatically catch the ball on many of the passes. On veteran mode, the WR will not ever just catch the ball on their own - even if you wait till their letter designation turns red indicating they are open before the throw, you have to do exactly what the manual says which is after you throw the ball you must press B, while the ball is in the air, to become the receiver you just threw to. Then you have to guide him to the "x"(the end of the receivers' running route) and press B again to catch the ball. It's proving to be pretty tough. The WRs don't always run their route and the defense is pretty aggressive making the coordinated effort harder by intercepting and sacking you often. Anyone with some Veteran mode passing pointers???, or tips??? for perhaps the required throw timing? on this level, please share any info you have discovered! Thanks in advance! :)

• 3 years later...

I have not beaten Troy Aiken Football!

I did play it for the first time tonight, and it took me off guard. It's pretty fun and easy to play, which is more that I can say for most football games. Opinions of this game on the interwebs are pretty low so I was pleasantly surprised to find it playable.

Anyone else pop this one in now and again, and/or like it?

I played Troy Aikman a lot back then, and completed several seasons. There are a few plays you can exploit to beat the other guys and score nearly every time. I used to win games 70-some points to nothing.

Can you run down the best plays to exploit? I have this game as well, and I'm not very good at it.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I played Troy Aikman, but I'll see if I can boot it up to find out which play was my favorite. I know it had a receiver way out to one side, and nobody would ever cover him. I'd pass to that receiver and he was good for a few dozen yards each play, if not a touchdown.

It's been a long time since I played Troy Aikman, but I'll see if I can boot it up to find out which play was my favorite. I know it had a receiver way out to one side, and nobody would ever cover him. I'd pass to that receiver and he was good for a few dozen yards each play, if not a touchdown.

Thank you sir. Was seriously considering PMing you to ask.

Lets have the PFG 9000 playbook of winners :)