IGNORED

Yar's Revenge

devwebcl

Where did you read this?

Is that quote meant for me?

I have the FB2, FB2+, and both Game Boy versions. The GBA version is on a multicart with Pong and Asteroids and is fairly common at Game Stop, the GB Color version is its own game, with a scrolling screen, and I had to get that one on the internet.

Edited by littleman jack

No, that means game variations on the same cart. Yars' Revenge has 7 game variations. Many 2600 games have variations.

When I read that excerpt it sounds to me that the variations they found are between different cartridges played in the same mode.

Yeah does sound that way. Probably have to check dumps of all the versions. My guess is the writer is full of shit and had no idea what he was talking about.

If you guys find a quote in there that makes it sound like there are two different cartridge versions, please quote it here. Maybe I missed something. I admittedly just skimmed it. But what I see tells me they're referring to different game variations, even though maybe they didn't word it as clearly as they could have.

EDIT: I see, I missed that bit on page 9. I don't know, I think he's full of crap. But maybe not, who knows. It seems like one of the retentive sorts (I mean that in a good way) around here would have found this by now with ROM comparisons or by playing and noticing.

There are two different ROMs, not sure what's different about them though.

Nukey took a look at this one, Wickey:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/103737-2600-rom-comparisions-and-dumps/page__view__findpost__p__1601211

Also, Yars' Revenge is one of the games that have been completely disassembled by Dennis:

http://www.bjars.com/source/Yars_Revenge.asm

Note: none of these differences would affect the game in the way that this author is describing.

I found that a lot of those old video game guides contained incorrect information. Makes you wonder though if there were plans for different variations of the cart, which later got scrapped. I'm will to put my money on the author not knowing what he was talking about.

I found that a lot of those old video game guides contained incorrect information. Makes you wonder though if there were plans for different variations of the cart, which later got scrapped. I'm will to put my money on the author not knowing what he was talking about.

Yes, I think the same that the author got confused and probably saw/felt something different with a different cart, besides he could not make a binary comparison those years, today it is easier. However because there is a cart dumped and has been completed disassembled doesn't mean that can't be another version (I know it is almost impossible, but it is not a fact).

Anyway the book it is fun to read :)