IGNORED

Nolan Bushnell Appointed to Atari Board

. . . I'll try and answer in brief.

Whenever I try to answer in briefs, the person always runs away. Good luck in your attempt.

Oops, I just offended myself. That's it, I'm leaving AtariAge and I'm not coming back until I'm gone!

Edited by Random Terrain
  • Like 5

. . . I'll try and answer in brief.

Whenever I try to answer in briefs, the person always runs away. Good luck in your attempt.

Oops, I just offended myself. That's it, I'm leaving AtariAge and I'm not coming back until I'm gone!

Easy solution....Just take them off..... :ponder:

• Like 2

Owen, you're entitled to your opinions...

Good bye. Email me when wgungfu has left the building, and I may return. Until then, happy gaming, and enjoy your battles here too.

-Owen-

Is Ted still posting? Or did wgungfu drive him away too?

Sheesh what a waste of a golden opportunity. Unreal!

• Like 4

Owen, you're entitled to your opinions...

Good bye. Email me when wgungfu has left the building, and I may return. Until then, happy gaming, and enjoy your battles here too.

-Owen-

Is Ted still posting? Or did wgungfu drive him away too?

Give me a break.

The entire time he's been here, he's been calling people things like "jerks" and "self-righteous", saying things that don't jibe with documented hard evidence, and throwing a hissy fit when getting called on it. Yeah, we really missed out there.

By the by: If you complain about people making personal attacks and being intolerant...when you react to these perceived things with words like "bile," "bitter and argumentative," and "vitriolic nonsense," as well as personal attacks of your own, and then threatening to leave on top of that, you're severely hurting your argument...not to mention your credibility.

And if this isn't worth your time, don't take the time to post about how it isn't worth your time.

• Like 4

Oh, the anti-Nolan team is going to allow us to move on if we accept your opinions about Nolan, Ralph, early Atari, and the Odyssey?

Nobody here is anti-Nolan. All we want is to document the correct history, and not one that was either fabricated or taken from unreliable memories.

You may not be anti-Nolan, but some people are coming off that way. See Marty.

So Owen Rubin is "leaving"? When did he ever post here to begin with before this debacle? I suspect that fit was thrown simply to elicit a reaction from the same clowns that are whining about Nolan being "driven away by Curt and Marty".

When confronted by facts, just start pissing and whining? Nice. Took some cheap shots at Ralph Baer too. That was classy. Pity he's leaving...isn't he going to tear into Ted as well?

The first rant was somewhat excusable, but all that garbage he just posted was pathetic. Any respect I had for that guy is pretty much gone. Hope he doesn't drop his rattle on the way back to the playpen.

I like the way you resorted to name calling, that's classy. So please explain to me how I am a "clown" for seeing bias and speaking up about it.

• Like 3

you obvious have some hatred toward him, because the title said it all.

Yes, of course. It's hatred rather than editorial commentary on someone leveraging a supposed experience to talk people in to giving him a position. You have no idea what's going on internally at Atari SA, I do.

You still haven't responded to any questions regarding your knowledge of the internal workings of Atari SA (unless I missed it in the 32 pages, in which case sorry).

Marty, how did Nolan leverage his way onto the board of Atari SA? You have stated that you have first hand knowledge, please enlighten us.

• Like 1

Is Ted still posting?

Yes, and echoing the same things we stated earlier.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/162122-atariage-welcomes-ted-dabney/page__view__findpost__p__2001467

Or did wgungfu drive him away too?

Considering the three of us got a lot of the early Atari information from Ted in the first place, and brought him here as well, that's a bit grandstandish.

orubin.com

owen@orubin.com

As I said. This should not be about me or Dabney or any of the players but to Atari the brand and the technology. I would love to have a new thread started where I can answer questions, get feedback and set a clear record of the history of which I am very proud. I think that if there is a civil environment which may be difficult for Marty (I have no idea what I did to him but he is really on a rant against me. He has been at work for several years on my personal profile on Wikipedia some os which was damaging. I don't think we have ever met but without knowing it I must have stolen his girlfriend, spilled is beer or stepped on his hand.) But so be it.

I think that Getting as many of the players as possible in conjunction with Curts extensive collection of written documents we should be able to create a much better history than any one persons recollection. It has been over 30 years and we tend to forget or worse try to conform history to our wishes. The more of us commenting will lead to a most accurate record that I for one would be happy to have.

Nolan

• Like 10

As I said. This should not be about me or Dabney or any of the players but to Atari the brand and the technology. I would love to have a new thread started where I can answer questions, get feedback and set a clear record of the history of which I am very proud. I think that if there is a civil environment which may be difficult for Marty (I have no idea what I did to him but he is really on a rant against me. He has been at work for several years on my personal profile on Wikipedia some os which was damaging. I don't think we have ever met but without knowing it I must have stolen his girlfriend, spilled is beer or stepped on his hand.) But so be it.

I think that Getting as many of the players as possible in conjunction with Curts extensive collection of written documents we should be able to create a much better history than any one persons recollection. It has been over 30 years and we tend to forget or worse try to conform history to our wishes. The more of us commenting will lead to a most accurate record that I for one would be happy to have.

Nolan

I found myself thinking the other day about what you could have done to him to give him these intense feelings. He seems to have a genuine dislike of you.

Nolan

http://www.atariage...._1#entry2000023

Just in case he didn't see it the first time. :)

I think that if there is a civil environment which may be difficult for Marty (I have no idea what I did to him but he is really on a rant against me.)

Nolan, first it was Curt's on a rant then I'm on a Rant, when it was just Owen on a rant. Let's set the record straight here so that it's clear between you and I, and nobody can read anything more in to it or claim to know what I'm thinking or where I'm coming from. I have nothing against you personally. I'm telling you point blank - nothing against you personally. My interest at this point is purely in research and getting to the bottom of things. I am Curt's partner in this research, and we've done nothing but what you're suggesting should be done below. In fact we've been working hard and exhaustively at it for years now. If information that you've given over the years contradicts with what Ted or others, or documented resources have stated, that's something that needs to be hashed out, and that people would certainly want hashed out. Which is what Curt reiterated to you.

He has been at work for several years on my personal profile on Wikipedia some os which was damaging.

That's an outright inaccuracy. First off it's not your personal profile, it's not personal space that you own. There are policies and regulations on Wikipedia guiding on what information is added and where and how. That includes the inclusion of information that is both positive and critical of said subject - they're encyclopedia articles. And the issue in question was with your daughter Alyssa (also the PR agent for yourself and uWink, which violates Wikipedia's conflict of interest policy), when she tried to edit your profile to include PR material rather than material that follows Wikipedia's policies on resources and content. In fact I took the time to clearly state and address the situation with her right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nolan_Bushnell#Errors_and_mistatements

If something is not how you think it should be in the article on you in Wikipedia, Nolan, I am more than happy to work with you on rectifying that - within the bounds of Wikipedia's guidelines and regulations, just as anyone else has to follow. That includes policies on consensus of material and references. I've done it for plenty of other articles, and have worked hard there helping to bring entries to GA (Good Article) and FA (Featured Article) status, which is the actual goal of articles there. In the meantime, I also continue to revert vandalism done to your article, just as I would anyone elses there.

That's what we (Curt and I) have been doing together Nolan. If you're stating you'd like to contribute more material and resources, we're certainly open to it.

Edited by wgungfu
  • Like 2

I probably should not do this since there are some Baer lovers and I know that I will do nothing to change that but me and Don Quixote love to tilt at windmills.

1. What did I take from Ralph Baer? I came I saw I signed the book with my own name and never denied it.

2. What did I see that was new or unique. Nothing. I saw a blip moving back and forth. Had I see that before? Yes in 1965 at the University of Utah.

3. Did you see any circuitry---No

4. Did I or any of my people see any of Ralphs Circuitry before the patent suit No we did not and were frankly not interested.

5. Did the demonstration remind me of the ball and paddle game. Yes. It was easy to assign Al to do it as a training project had I not gone to the demo would I have assigned a ball and paddle game to Al? I will never know that one without a back to the future machine..

6. Did Ralph invent the ping pong type video game. NO there were several digital versions starting in the early 60 and Willy Higgenbotham demonstrated a stand alone unit in 1958.

7. Did Atari pay Magnavox a royalty NO we settled for a paid up license for 100,000 per year for 5 years which was less than our legal costs would have been. In our eyes it was a junk settlement. If it would have been a royalty it would have been less than a half a percent the first year and less in subsequent years.

8. Why do I get irritated with Ralph? He likes to claim that he invented Pong He did not Al Alcorn did most of the work and I helped with some details. It used circuitry that I invented two years prior to the Magnavox demonstration. He saw my game "Touch Me" patented a version and licensed it to Hasbro. Could I have sued him for that, probably did I no. (Do a search on Pong and notice the lack of Computer space which was in the market for a year before the Burlingame show, why??)

9. He claims that I will not appear with him on a public forum. The opposite is true he is the one that cancels. I am happy to have that discussion on the net, on a video conference. any forum. I would love to have Ralph interject on any of the above points.

Summation: People should claim their own work and give credit to those upon whose shoulders they stand. I have always credited Steve Russell and the guys at the U of U, Stanford and Mit that did the early video game programming that I played loved and got hooked.

Do a search on Pong and you with see Ralph all over them without any credit to Al or Atari. Ask yourself how that happens. The web is great for those that want to self promote.

I have been silent for 30 years in an attempt to be above the noise but I think that it is time to get the true record and history on the table.

Nolan

• Like 14

I would like to offer/extend this to Nolan as well as Ted, Wgungfu, Curt, Owen etc. Every Monday from 8-10pm I've hosted an Atari Chat first on CTCW/Game Gavel and now here. I'd like to invite you all and anyone interested to participate either then or at a time convenient to you for a Live Q&A (with questions submitted prior or whatever you prefer).

If you'd like an open public room to discuss issues/air grievances between yourselves in 'real time', I would be more then willing to mediate/ be a 3rd party sitting in on that as well.

Please send me or speak with me via PM if anyone is interested and hopefully we can work out a time that would be convienient for anyone who would want to participate.

Thanks and hope to speak with you soon.

On the Magnavox issue: was any part of the litigation even related to the tennis game's gameplay mechanics or "look and feel" at all? That seems to be the main assumption, but the whole video signal manipulation with digital circuitry seems to be the main issue over the patents (the same one Nintendo later went to court with -obviously with nothing to do over the mechanics or gameplay of a specific game).

Didn't Maganavox get royalties (and/or sue) for pretty much all successful video games (in the literal -raster- sense) up until the patents expired?

Vector based arcade games would obviously be a non issue. (so computer space and pong, yes, Asteroids, no)

And a slightly different note: was Galaxy Game at Stanford raster or vector based? (I've seen a mix of info on that --I know Spacewar! was vector)

As I said. This should not be about me or Dabney or any of the players but to Atari the brand and the technology. I would love to have a new thread started where I can answer questions, get feedback and set a clear record of the history of which I am very proud.

I have started a new thread just for this purpose here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/162342-discuss-atari-history-with-nolan-bushnell/

I am going to close this thread so we can have a civil discussion on Atari's history in the above thread.

..Al

• Like 4