IGNORED

Hooked on 8-bit carts

Tanman

Here are some more carts, all dumped from originals today. Mostly these are just verifying known dumps, although Mr Do's Castle appears to be different from the one at Atarimania.

In addition to that, there are The Activision Decathlon, Math Mileage, The Monkey Wrench II (A800 right-cart) and Mr TNT.

07042012_2.zip

A couple more dumps.

Orc Attack - dumped 3 different carts, all with the same result - same as the image at Atarimania. Picnic Paranoia (confirms a previous dump). U-Boot Commander (dump identical to known dump of Submarine Commander - no surprise, since the cart labels are the same too).

09042012_2.zip

Great finds, thank you guys! I'm having 6 images marked as verified and 5 new cartridge dumps. Most importantly, it turned out that the images of Mr. Do!'s Castle and Up for Grabs hosted at Atarimania are cracks, and their Last Starfighter image is incorrect.

Thanks for the ROM-less cartridges - I'm not intending to put much effort into that part, so your suggestions are even more helpful.

I tried to find out how carts are being dumped. I think there's a Atarimax cart programmer that, I guess, you plug a cart into it and read it with a PC USB connection. The only way I know is with Omnimon to

dump a cart. How are these carts being dumped?

edit: Another thread about Jindroush cart dumping system mentions the Atarimax USB dumper, so I guess that is the easiest way. You plug a cart into the USB dumper cart and read it

through a PC USB connection and accompanying USB driver and software?

Edited by russg

I tried to find out how carts are being dumped. I think there's a Atarimax cart programmer that, I guess, you plug a cart into it and read it with a PC USB connection. The only way I know is with Omnimon to

dump a cart. How are these carts being dumped?

edit: Another thread about Jindroush cart dumping system mentions the Atarimax USB dumper, so I guess that is the easiest way. You plug a cart into the USB dumper cart and read it

through a PC USB connection and accompanying USB driver and software?

That's it.

I used to use Omnimon for dumping carts, but the "Atarimax Maxflash USB Programmer" from atarimax.com is the device to get. It makes dumping carts much easier and less time-consuming. Highly recommended.

Steven Tucker's customer service is deservedly legendary, and he's already updated the software that operates the device several times in the last few weeks to cater for unorthodox bankswitching methods.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably not seeing it, but is my Assembler Editor cart in your analysis?

It was there, under "Editor Assembler". I've updated the cartridge's name (back to "Assembler Editor") and added comments for more accuracy.

Actually the ROM is BOTH the "Assembler Editor" and "Editor Assembler".

I have the "Editor Assembler" and "Assembler Editor" cartridges, both are 2-chip models. I did a dump of both and they are exactly the same.

The "Assembler Editor" cartridge I have has a PCB # C012963, with left chip C012403A-05, right chip C014503-05, both © 1982.

post-26019-0-45701500-1335935011_thumb.jpg

The "Editor Assembler" cartridge I have has a PCB # C012963, with left chip C014503A-03 © 1980, right chip C012403A-05 © 1982.

post-26019-0-94044400-1335935039_thumb.jpg

Both of these dumps were the same as the ROM found on AtariMania and the ROM in the zip list found in this topic.

I do not have the 1-chip cardridge of the Assembler Editor.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. What does it mean if some games don't behave properly when loaded off an Atarimax flash cart? I just got my USB programmer and created an 8 mbit cart with a bunch of titles. Some work great, while others will get stuck on the intro screen or behave erratically in some other way. In Ms. Pac Man, for instance, the ghosts move super fast or just freeze in place. Some of the dumps I got from this thread and some from Atarimania.

The same errors occur on my 800XL and XEGS.

Does this mean that the dumps themselves are bad, or that I did something wrong programming the cart? Also, would dirty contacts affect the flashing of the cart (i.e. corrupting some but not all games)? Thanks for any advice.

Edited by boxpressed

Definitely look for alternative dumps, also check out the atarimax forum, there are some games such as bounty bob strikes back that have been fixed for the maxflash.

There are also images to download of working game sets.

Try one of these dumps of Ms. Pacman.

Ms. Pac-Man (1983).xex

Ms. Pac-Man.bin

The 16k bin file will not work with "Mathflash Cartridge Studio" software as Mitch pointed out (8k only).

The xex file will program though.

You would have to use software called "MakeMenu ver. 1.3" by Eric Bacher to use 16k roms with Atarimax carts.

Let me know if they work in your Atarimax cart.

• Like 1

Doesn't the Editor Assembler label seem a bit odd?

The expression "all 8 bit Atari computers" just doesn't sound very natural. The "ATARI INC." copyright - without the comma - looks suspicious as well.

Do all cartridges look like this one? Was the program sold in a specific box?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Doesn't the Editor Assembler label seem a bit odd?

The expression "all 8 bit Atari computers" just doesn't sound very natural. The "ATARI INC." copyright - without the comma - looks suspicious as well.

Do all cartridges look like this one? Was the program sold in a specific box?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

My Editor Assembler cart is exactly the same. It didn't come with a box, though, so I can't say whether there were box variants corresponding to the different cart labels.

Try one of these dumps of Ms. Pacman.

Ms. Pac-Man (1983).xex

Ms. Pac-Man.bin

The 16k bin file will not work with "Mathflash Cartridge Studio" software as Mitch pointed out (8k only).

The xex file will program though.

You would have to use software called "MakeMenu ver. 1.3" by Eric Bacher to use 16k roms with Atarimax carts.

Let me know if they work in your Atarimax cart.

Thanks so much! The xex file works perfectly. So, I should use only xex for 16K (and up?) carts if I stick with Maxflash Studio, correct?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, here's another update of the ROM list. Again, thanks to all for providing new ROM images. See Changelog.txt for the news.

FULS' "Leo's 'Lectric Paintbrush" image is a bit different than the one known from Atarimania. Thanks for dumping!

I have found a program named "Checksum Verifier", that was originally developed in-house at Atari (see README.txt for details). It contains a list of checksums for many cartridges. What is interesting, the list contains entries to several cartridge revisions that are different than the ones we know, for example "Qix rev. 7". I have added such entries to the list as well.

• Like 2

CRCs for my tiny collection of carts. Only BASIC had no match for CRC in your table.

I purchased that BASIC together with my 800 and a 410 cassette but I'm not sure if the year was 1979 or 1980.

I'm enclosing a copy of the BASIC dump.

- atari_writer_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 7be4533d, size = 16384 bytes

- basic_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 4bec4de2, size = 8192 bytes

- defender_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 782a81e4, size = 16384 bytes

- music_composer_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 2aca9cee, size = 8192 bytes

- action_dump.rom - CRC-32 = eb905cb4, size = 16384 bytes

- star_raider_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 5ec023ba, size = 8192 bytes

- super_breakout_dump.rom - CRC-32 = 08dc1fc6, size = 4096 bytes

- telelink_i_2k.rom - CRC-32 = 30186f2b, size = 2048 bytes.

a8isa1_basic_dump.zip

p.s.

I have one hack, so simple it's silly.

A few years ago someone posted an image for Monkey Wrench II, which is for a right-handed 800 cartridge. Since I remembered wanting MW2 long ago I just appended the above BASIC version to it thus creating a single 16K cart that works in an 800 (and should work in a 400 too).

basic_mw2.zip

Edited by a8isa1