IGNORED

Hooked on 8-bit carts

Tanman

There is also this and this which may be of help

I always used this one: vglist.com. A lot of info there. It lists 335 U.S. titles. It lists the title, company who made it, model number, rarity, type (i.e. Strategy, sports, Action), and year of release.

In that list, it states the Congo Bongo is "R" along with Spy Hunter. I have both but it seems Congo Bongo is more common as it's price is < $10 whereas Spy Hunter goes for a lot more. And then it lists Miner 2049er as "C" whereas the price for that is also pretty high (going by Ebay). And Atarimania seems to have some difference of opinion on the rarity. Does everyone make up their own rarity ratings or is there some systematic method?

• Like 1

There is also this and this which may be of help

I always used this one: vglist.com. A lot of info there. It lists 335 U.S. titles. It lists the title, company who made it, model number, rarity, type (i.e. Strategy, sports, Action), and year of release.

In that list, it states the Congo Bongo is "R" along with Spy Hunter. I have both but it seems Congo Bongo is more common as it's price is < $10 whereas Spy Hunter goes for a lot more. And then it lists Miner 2049er as "C" whereas the price for that is also pretty high (going by Ebay). And Atarimania seems to have some difference of opinion on the rarity. Does everyone make up their own rarity ratings or is there some systematic method?

I can tell you that the rarities on vglist are from when we (my wife and I) started collecting back in 1995-96. Most of those rarities are base on our local areas when we started collecting and when we first started selling on ebay back in 1997. Some of them have been cross referenced with other websites as well. Keep in mind the rarity and price don't always match. I have always noticed that a "one list fits all" never seems to exist. These lists on this sight where used back in our collecting days. We just thought we would share in info we had put together over the years.

Hello,

the list is false vglist.com.

there is too much error :(

missing

conquest of the crown

multi ficha

microcalc

atari logo : french, german and spanish version....

ataritexte (french version)

atrax n°5

Monkey Wrench II for atari xl

super e-burner

replay

ace 80

ace 80-xl

tool kit

P.B.R (print buffer routine).

P.B.R (disk emulator).

direct access

Pill

gostcart II

cartridge simulator

3000 graphics generator

5000 graphics generator

spectrawiew II

hamsoft/amtor

hamsoft/amtext

drumesiser

Magic Dump II

easy scan II

BOOTEASE !

caractere generator

@+

Arnaud

Hello,

missing

conquest of the crown

multi ficha

microcalc

atrax n°5

super e-burner

replay

ace 80

ace 80-xl

tool kit

P.B.R (disk emulator).

direct access

Pill

gostcart II

cartridge simulator

3000 graphics generator

5000 graphics generator

spectrawiew II

hamsoft/amtor

hamsoft/amtext

drumesiser

Magic Dump II

easy scan II

BOOTEASE !

caractere generator

@+

Arnaud

Well, it is a U.S. cart list. Were the carts you listed above sold in the U.S.? This is why I put this info out here. I want people to tell me any corrections that are needed in order to make the most complete U.S. carts list we can.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I came across this price list:

Atari Cartridge Price Listing

Hope you find it useful.

Thanks, but prices for Atari 400/800/XL/XE rare carts should be much higher IMHO.

For example:

Assalut Force 3-D - $50 (should be $100),

Boulder Dash - $60 (should be $100),

Karateka - $10 (should be $40 or higher),

Fort Apocalypse - $55 (should be $80),

Espial - $40 (should be $100),

Summer games - $14 (should be $40),

Decathlon - $8 (should be $30),

Super Zaxon - $50 (should be $100),

Topper - $35 (should be $100),

Assalut Force 3-D - $50 (should be $100),

Boulder Dash - $60 (should be $100),

Karateka - $10 (should be $40 or higher),

Fort Apocalypse - $55 (should be $80),

Espial - $40 (should be $100),

Summer games - $14 (should be $40),

Decathlon - $8 (should be $30),

Super Zaxon - $50 (should be $100),

Topper - $35 (should be $100),

I wouldn't let go my carts for these prices. Espial for $100? One of the rarest carts ever, even rarer than the legendary Matterhorn. A loose Matterhorn was sold for approx. 500 Euros recently.

• 4 weeks later...

Magic Dump II was sold in the US, as Arnaud bought it from me back in 2005

magicdump1.jpg

magicdump2.jpg

magicdump3.jpg

magicdump4.jpg

magicdump5.jpg

Hello,

missing

conquest of the crown

multi ficha

microcalc

atrax n°5

super e-burner

replay

ace 80

ace 80-xl

tool kit

P.B.R (disk emulator).

direct access

Pill

gostcart II

cartridge simulator

3000 graphics generator

5000 graphics generator

spectrawiew II

hamsoft/amtor

hamsoft/amtext

drumesiser

Magic Dump II

easy scan II

BOOTEASE !

caractere generator

@+

Arnaud

Well, it is a U.S. cart list. Were the carts you listed above sold in the U.S.? This is why I put this info out here. I want people to tell me any corrections that are needed in order to make the most complete U.S. carts list we can.

• 9 months later...

I just added a few more dumps my zip file. I think they are all identical to Fuls dumps however.

Does anyone else with a AtariMax USB programmer mind dumping their A8 cart collection and posting it? It's really not that hard. :)

Mitch

I just added a few more dumps my zip file. I think they are all identical to Fuls dumps however.

Does anyone else with a AtariMax USB programmer mind dumping their A8 cart collection and posting it? It's really not that hard. :)

Mitch

Do you have a link to your zip file?

Hi k1w1,

Thank you very much for your XML files of your Rom collection.

Very nicely done and very helpful.

I've added about 25 more carts to my Rom collection that I will post here if anyone wants me to.

Is there anyway you would be willing to share your Roms here?

You have a great collection of Roms, some I've never seen before.

Thanks again,

FULS

I've added about 25 more carts to my Rom collection that I will post here if anyone wants me to.

Thanks again,

FULS

Yes, please. New dumps are nice to verify that the old one are correct and can also turn up new variants. :)

Mitch

It's said above that FULS' Vanguard is a repro by Nir Dary, sold by Video61.

A few other remarks for k1w1's collection:

- xegs.xml

1. Your 128KB Lode Runner is an overdump with first half being random data. FULS' collection contains a proper 64KB dump.

- a800.xml

1. Final Legacy with graphics menu (as well as the text menu version) is included in FULS' collection.

2. Both revisions of AtariWriter (A and C) are FULS' collection.

3. Gold Mine is dowloadable from Atarimania.

Edited by Kr0tki

Kr0tki,

Thanks for the information and especially the tip on Gold Mine, i must have completely missed it's dump & release.

The MESS software project is all about collecting and categorising the correct dumps for the system in question. This aids the developers of the emulator in correccting issues at run-time nowing they have correct and original software.

Ful's and Mitch have dumped these cartridges from their original collection and yet there are differences in some of the dumps. Are these just problems with the process they used or are they genuine different versions of the cartridge?

Also, my initial assumption was that re-releases were in most cases bit copies of the originals, this appears not to be the case? for example, Ful's has two different cartridge versions of Atari Writer, these differ from the version i have which seems to be the most common.

k1w1

Edited by k1w1

Hi,

Thank you Mitch for being the first one getting this going with the AtariMax USB Programmer.

Thank you Kr0tki with your detailed comparisons. You've caught a lot of errors and kept us honest.

Thank you k1w1 for your MESS project, cataloging the correct dumps and posting your Roms.

How do you calculate the CRC and Sha1 numbers?

I have redumped Bug Hunt, Dark Chambers, and Cosmic Life thanks to Kr0tki pointing out the overdumps.

I have added a different dump of Popeye.

I have added 23 new carts shown in the picture. This hobby is killing my finances. But Atari is worth every cent!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been updating the MESS Softwate list for the a800 based on the dumps from Mitch & Fuls and the comparison put together by Kr0tki. Using that information i have been able to flag a number of dumps as "verified" i.e. more than 2 identical dumps from independant dumpers.

Doing this I have noticed that there are two different versions of Donkey Kong which have different title screens and option screens. One has a Red Ball (crc 8af06275) on the option screen and the other has a jumping board (crc f2b76a27).

I'm guessing one is the original released in 1983 and the other is the re-elease in 1988. Is this the case?

k1w1

I have been updating the MESS Softwate list for the a800 based on the dumps from Mitch & Fuls and the comparison put together by Kr0tki. Using that information i have been able to flag a number of dumps as "verified" i.e. more than 2 identical dumps from independant dumpers.

Doing this I have noticed that there are two different versions of Donkey Kong which have different title screens and option screens. One has a Red Ball (crc 8af06275) on the option screen and the other has a jumping board (crc f2b76a27).

I'm guessing one is the original released in 1983 and the other is the re-elease in 1988. Is this the case?

k1w1

I checked my copy (crc 8af06275) and it is the original brown label a800 version.

Mitch

FULS, have you got that personal message I've sent you a week ago?

?!? In Atari800 both have red balls. Check if your emulator doesn't have the "Disable BASIC" option enabled. This function is usually realised by simulating pressing of the Option key for a few seconds after each reboot. However some games initialise so fast that this simulated Option key affects their title screen, like in this case.

No, actually one of them has copy-protection code removed.

This time I've analysed the dumps more thoroughly; the result is attached in a form of an OpenDocument spreadsheet.

Using Atari800's builtin monitor and its ability to detect writes to memory, I was able to check which cartridges contain copy-protection code (that is, code that writes to a read-only memory area). Then I've analysed the ROM differences and came to an interesting conclusion. MOST of the differences in ROMs are caused by someone removing copy-protection code. Typically it is done by replacing the offending code with NOP, but there are also more complicated instances.

I don't know why there are so many unprotected images there. I supopse most if not all of them, were re-created from earlier file-based cracks.

For ROMs for which I am 100% sure that unprotecting was the reason for their modification, I've marked them with [cr]. However there are several pairs of ROMs that are cracked but also completely different (lots of relocated code) - so I'm not sure if these ROMs are indeed cracks or simply different revisions. Such ROMs I've marked with [cr?].

Glossary is included in the file's first sheet.