IGNORED

Mario Bros for Colecovision

retroillucid

Here's a mail I received today

J-F,

Now that I've had some time to play Mario Bros. and really enjoy it I wanted to drop you a line and compliment you and ask a few questions.

First, this is a fantastic version of Mario Bros. It really rivals the NES version which (until I had this CollectorVision version in my hands) was my favorite version. I really love the whole package--from the manual to the red cartridge. I'm also really impressed with the detail involved in this game as well as the fluid movement of Mario and the minimal flicker when man objects are on the screen.

1. The font: The font is the very recognizable Nintendo font.

You paid careful attention to the detail of the arcade game including having the little curly-Q arrow that indicates "Bonus Coin." Other elements such as the descriptions of how to attack the enemies are included--something the NES version lacks. The high score table at the end allowing you to input your score, the attention to how the turtles behave in the game--leaving their shell, righting it and getting back in. These are all details that have never seen the light of day in a home version.

2. The enemies are all fairly 2-dimensional but it works because effort was added to make them appear behaviorally as they would in the Arcade game. Obviously sacrifices had to be made due to the ColecoVision's limitations... I assume one of the obvious sacrifices was to omit the attract screen animations.

Your decision to use "credits" is one that I think every retro gamer can appreciate. If you're gonna make an Arcade port it should feel like an arcade game right down to inserting a coin. Incidentally, the controllers that were inspired from this game really pair nicely with the game design. Thank you for that. I'm lucky to have been able to get a set from Todd Scheele.

Thanks for letting your retro gaming passion drive you to creating such a great classic for the ColecoVision. It's a blast to play. And as long as I'm alive, it's gonna remain in my collection.

I take this oopportunity to say that there will be a Classic Edition! :D

It'll be later this year

Otherwise, some few RED Edition copies left in case you miss it ;)

I take this oopportunity to say that there will be a Classic Edition! icon_mrgreen.gif

It'll be later this year

Otherwise, some few RED Edition copies left in case you miss it icon_wink.gif

Hi J-F icon_smile.gif

It would be nice if you could save high scores in the future?

I think that if you still have to do extra Mario Bros.. It could be a good idea to use Eduardo's Mega Cart 2 to save game data.

"I take this oopportunity to say that there will be a Classic Edition! :D

It'll be later this year

Otherwise, some few RED Edition copies left in case you miss it ;)"

Hey there Retroillucid! :D

What will be the difference b/t the classic edition and the red cart I got from you??

I bought one and it is a grrrreat game!!! When I was a kid I hated the Atari version. I was pretty young and couldn't get past the 1st stage...and my bully neighbor "friend" who owned the Atari and the game used the 2 player mode to bully me on the TV screen.

Also, ten-four mentioned saving high scores when the cart is taken out of console. That would be cool if it can be done.

Brock

Edited by Brockolye