IGNORED

M.A.S.H.?

farquh

The truth is that the MASH finale is still (and always has been) the highest rated non-sporting event in the history of television.

and yes, the one where the goat ate the payroll is a classic!

• Like 1

Love the show and like the game.

Also my fave episode is the one where Hawkeye spend the whole episode trying to find out what the "B" and the "J" in B.J.'s name stand for and in the end B.J. says it stands for my mother Bea Hunnicut and my father Jay Hunnicut.

The truth is that the MASH finale is still (and always has been) the highest rated non-sporting event in the history of television.

The SuperBowl had more total viewers, but still had a lower rating and audience share than the MASH finale. There are approximately 70 million more Americans now than there were when MASH aired and 30 million more televisions, yet only 500,000 more people watched the SuperBowl than the MASH finale. Of course, this is only what Wikipedia tells me, so take that for what it's worth, but I still think the MASH finale is the champ. I liked the show, but I think the movie was better.

• Like 1

I seem to remember there being a game based on M.A.S.H. for the Atari 2600. I've tried to look it up on this site in the rarity guide, but typing m.a.s.h. or mash does not generate any results.

Was it not an official Atari release?

That's because it's M*A*S*H with asterisks.

I love that show, I'd probably seen them all over the years, but we bought the series DVD set a couple of years ago and watched seven or eight episodes a week for MONTHS until the finale. We were really sad to see it end!

One of my favorite scenes of many:

The camp is pinned down by a sniper hiding in the hills and everyone is scared.

Frank: "We have to do something, ANYTHING!"

Hawkeye: "I agree with Frank, let's do anything." icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_laughingblue.gif

Hawkeye: I will not carry a gun Frank. When I got into this war I had a clear understanding with the Pentgon: "No guns." I'll carry your books, I'll carry a torch, I'll carry a tune, I'll carry on, I'll carry over,carry forward,Cary Grant,cash and carry,carry me back to old Viginny... I'll even hari-kari if you show me how! But I will not carry a gun!

Everyone tells me the movie is better, still haven't seen it. The game must be based on the movie, not the show? As the other fox titles are movie-based like Alien?

I remember when I first started watching mash (We don't do TV but I worked at a nursing home in Oklahoma so I got a good share of mash, lonesome dove and andy griffith) and was expecting hilarity. It was one of those episodes where nothing happens but more patients arrive and hawkeye cries. WTF man

well, as great as the show was, in the later seasons it was much like Futurama spoofed when Bender was Hawkeye and they kept switching him from "irreverent" to "maudlin."

The movie and the show are really apples and oranges (since the end of the movie is the end of the war). Both are good in their own way for what they are. I like the show better because it develops the characters further than the movie can.

The game doesn't do much for me. Is ok.

Everyone tells me the movie is better, still haven't seen it. The game must be based on the movie, not the show? As the other fox titles are movie-based like Alien?

It could be either or both, since 20th Century Fox produced both. I've seen the movie, and like the series better.

I remember when I first started watching mash ... and was expecting hilarity. It was one of those episodes where nothing happens but more patients arrive and hawkeye cries.

I only remember Hawkeye crying in one episode, the one when he is inexplicably sneezing all the time and finally Dr. Sidney Freedman gets him to face a repressed painful childhood memory which connected to a patient he'd recently seen. That would be a rather strange introduction to the series and I wouldn't blame anyone who saw that one first for not liking it.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Radar mailed a jeep back home, piece by piece. Hawkeye narrates that when his local postman would eventually learn what he delivered, he'd have a retroactive hernia!

MASH was great.

Colonel Flagg was ... the wind! (cue Hawkeye, after Flagg jumps out the window: "The Wind just broke his arm") :D

This is more than a tiny bit off topic, but I once took care of a gentleman who had made a writeup of his war stories, including some really interesting stuff: (I believe i'm clear on HIPAA and ethically in general since there should be no names or private info and the one guy meant for his story to be distributed). I'd even cover their genders, but really, you can assume male for ww2 anyway.

While in a prison camp (stalag .. 9? 13? I forget) they received red cross packages, which they got most of at first, until the war started going worse for the Nazis and they ended up getting the dregs or nothing out of the packages. He said in general that they weren't as bad to them as you might have thought, that they were much worse to the captured russians than americans, who some of the Nazis kinda liked in a way. They would steal or rather hold back charcoal and burn it to brew coffee in stoves made out of tin cans, and they had this little stove they cobbled together in that fashion to heat up whatever canned good they were lucky enough to get. At this particular camp there was a sergeant or similar ranking officer who was much meaner to the captives than most of the guards were, and he loved to kick down their little stove and throw away anything they made... so one day they put a couple bricks in it, and he broke his toe... got transferred away and never came back. Hilarious.

He also talked about being pinned down under machine gun fire in italy in a vineyard for hours, and eating all the grapes that the bullets knocked down but being too afraid to reach up and grab any other ones. He also talked about how rare it was to get a cigarette and if you did, you could use it to burn the lice eggs out of the seams of your clothes. And about how he got so sick that he was running for the privy hole while feces was running out of him, "The only time he was ever able to do two things at once". There was one (squad? platoon? I don't know my terms) that he had a friend in, and they had a donkey mascot. When they were disembarking from the boat, they had TNT and ammo cases to carry onto the beach, and they were not under fire so they weren't in that big of a hurry.. so they figured the donkey could carry some. They loaded him up but he jumped off the boat before they were ready to get off, fell right to the bottom and drowned and that was it for the mascot and the supplies.

And the best part... at one of the camps he was at, the nicer one, they let the captives have garbage to play with, like old clothes and such - so they started putting on plays to amuse themselves. Among that stuff they had a dress and a mop for a wig. This was his quote about that: "As the months wore one, those "Women" started to look better and better..."

I also took care of another gentleman who had also been in the camps (on the same hall, at the same time, no less). I kinda mentioned the fact of one to the other, figuring he'd be interested in talking about it maybe, and his only comment was "yeah, he was air force. They treated them a lot better." so that was it as far as he was concerned. The other guy's only stories were about how a b-52's fuel ballast tank (or something like that) worked. He explained it in great detail despite being in the advanced stages of alzheimers.

oh haha no I did forget the best part.. they figured out a way to take the front gate off of it's hinges - but they were too deep in enemy territory and nobody spoke german, so it would have been dumb to try escaping at that point. So they took the gate off one night and hid it in the woods and went back to bed... hahahaa

it was up the next morning with something welded on to keep it on there

so many great lines! honestly they had the best writers ever! heres one that comes to mind:

CHARLES: Are you denying calling me a superior surgeon?

HAWKEYE: Not quite. I called you a superior sturgeon. You're the biggest lox in Korea!

or how bout...

Come on in! Take off your skin and rattle around in your bones!

god the list goes on and on!!!

Edited by opeygon

so many great lines! honestly they had the best writers ever! heres one that comes to mind:

Come on in! Take off your skin and rattle around in your bones!

The M*A*S*H writers don't get credit for that one. It's actually a badly mis-quoted lyric from an old song written by Walter Donaldson and Edgar Leslie published in 1930 called "T'ain't No Sin". The real lyric is:

When you hear sweet syncopation

And the music softly moans

T'ain't no sin to take off your skin

And dance around in your bones

When it gets too hot for comfort

And you can't get an ice cream cone

Just like those bamboo babies

Down in the South Sea tropic zone

• Like 1

and yes, the one where the goat ate the payroll is a classic!

Always has been? Even before it aired? :D

• Like 1

Being a congenital punster, one of my all-time fave lines comes in the episode where Hawkeye's old flame comes to camp.

He and BJ bring a box of items to welcome them; Hawkeye pulls out a bottle and says, "Shampoo." And BJ says, "Because we couldn't find any real poo."

That one always cracks me up no even though I've seen it a gazillion times.

-tet

[edit]No matter how many times I've tried, I can't force the word "thought" to be the word "though."[/edit]

Edited by tetrode kink