IGNORED

Pac-man

_Fandal_

Hi!

I had some free time today so I played Pac-man as it is current game in HSC. And I was suprised how easy this game is as I had pretty high score without too much trouble. But then I realized that I'm playing some different version of the game. I searched Atarimania and I found out that Pac-man was released by Atari in 1982 as a cartridge. My file version looks very very simillar but it has different title screen (with copyright Atari 1982 message) and gameplay is much easier as monsters are slower. Any ideas what my file version is supposed to be? Is it some hack or beta version of what?

F.

post-5049-127205066984_thumb.png

post-5049-127205067723_thumb.png

Edited by _Fandal_

Hi!

I had some free time today so I played Pac-man as it is current game in HSC. And I was suprised how easy this game is as I had pretty high score without too much trouble. But then I realized that I'm playing some different version of the game. I searched Atarimania and I found out that Pac-man was released by Atari in 1982 as a cartridge. My file version looks very very simillar but it has different title screen (with copyright Atari 1982 message) and gameplay is much easier as monsters are slower. Any ideas what my file version is supposed to be? Is it some hack or beta version of what?

F.

This is a Beta Version. Some things are missing from the final release and some things are different. Mostly there were things stripped out and Simplified to Scale it down to fit in The 8k Cart version we are all familiar with.

The chomp sound is a little simpler, the blue color of the maze is brighter, the intermissions (cartoons) are missing, and the "attract mode" animations are gone in the cartridge version. I didn't realize the beta version was easier, however. I'll have to play them both again.

Hi!

F.

The ATR version seems to be different than both the ROM and XEX version. Title is the same as the ROM version but the sound when pac-man eats the pac-dots is different. Speed also seems to be the same as the ROM version.

Hi!

F.

I have file versions of both, didn't realise the gameplay was easier so that needs mentioning as it might explain the really high scores :ponder:

Yeah there are a couple "funky" versions out there. There was an official UK tape release that has intermissions and the better wocka wocka sound that I would highly recommend. Anyways one of the versions you can definitely tell is screwy cause the monster AI is all screwy. Plus the monsters will go thru the "no ghost zones".

Hi!

F.

I have file versions of both, didn't realise the gameplay was easier so that needs mentioning as it might explain the really high scores :ponder:

Better to go with official releases by Atari on HSC. Tales of Beta Lyrae also had that one easier hacked file version that didn't have the "black-hole".

The atarimania ROM doesn't have the attract mode title screens etc, does anyone have a real cart that does :?:

What about the amusing intermissions (after level 2 etc) were they added to a file version (the UK tape ver only?) or has anyone got these on a cart :?:

How many cart versions of pac-man are there :?:

I know other versions of Pac Man (Ms Pacman, Super Pacman) have multi-colored ghosts. Has anyone done a hacked a version of regular version of pacman to add some whites to the ghost eyes? I checked every version of pacman I have and they are all single color ghosts.

It's not as easy as just sticking some eyes on the players. The playfield is antic 4 (character mode), and the [ghosts + pacman] = [4 players + 5th player (all four missiles)]. The other games all use a sprite multiplexer to achive the extra color for the eyes. So, hacking in the eyes means hacking in the multiplexer, or using character graphics which would have to be shifted in order to move smoothly.

The atarimania ROM doesn't have the attract mode title screens etc, does anyone have a real cart that does :?:

What about the amusing intermissions (after level 2 etc) were they added to a file version (the UK tape ver only?) or has anyone got these on a cart :?:

How many cart versions of pac-man are there :?:

Okay, there's two meanings for ATTRACT mode. There's the color cycling which does occur on the A8 pacman cartridge as well as A5200 cartridge. The A5200 cartridge has the intermissions, but everything else sounds and looks the same; the patterns that the monsters follow on A5200 pacman is bit more difficult for the player. All other hack versions on A8 are to be considered special cases not standard Pacmans.

The UK tape version was an official release, includes all the intermissions, and a better wocka wocka sound.

The UK Tape Version is the Same as the DataSoft Disk Version in the US. both official Releases. Better Wocka Wocka sound, Intermissions,

and the Ghost Names/Scoring Example, Attract Mode.

Also The Same as the "Pac-Man Arcade" Cart Release From Video 61 and in my Ebay Store. It was another complete Unreleased Prototype Cart.

The UK tape version was an official release, includes all the intermissions, and a better wocka wocka sound.

The UK Tape Version is the Same as the DataSoft Disk Version in the US. both official Releases. Better Wocka Wocka sound, Intermissions,

Also The Same as the "Pac-Man Arcade" Cart Release From Video 61 and in my Ebay Store. It was another complete Unreleased Prototype Cart.

I've been playing pac-man spot the difference (I have no life) here's what I found:

"enhanced" version has the characters/nicknames screen, intermissions, dark blue walls, different dot munching sound, ghosts/game is much harder, ghost munch sound much louder...

The scoring difference on level 1 was driving me crazy, I even counted the dots... it turn out that the fruit is worth 4,100 every time, so you get more points for this making a theoretical maximum of 2560 dots + 8200 cherries + 12000 ghosts = 22760. Even on the key level where you should get 5k you only get 4,100, robbery ;) Unless this is just my file copy!

Anyway we have two great versions of the game :thumbsup:

I've been playing pac-man spot the difference (I have no life) here's what I found:

"enhanced" version has the characters/nicknames screen, intermissions, dark blue walls, different dot munching sound, ghosts/game is much harder, ghost munch sound much louder...

The scoring difference on level 1 was driving me crazy, I even counted the dots... it turn out that the fruit is worth 4,100 every time, so you get more points for this making a theoretical maximum of 2560 dots + 8200 cherries + 12000 ghosts = 22760. Even on the key level where you should get 5k you only get 4,100, robbery ;) Unless this is just my file copy!

Sounds Like you have a weird Hacked Version. Here is an XEX of the Official DataSoft Release With Proper Scoring. This one Includes the characters/nicknames attract mode screen, intermissions, dark blue walls, different dot munching sound, Etc.

Sounds Like you have a weird Hacked Version. Here is an XEX of the Official DataSoft Release With Proper Scoring. This one Includes the characters/nicknames attract mode screen, intermissions, dark blue walls, different dot munching sound, Etc.

Thanks will check this one out! I did a bit more research and you get 4100 on levels 1 and 2 cherry and strawberry, then it's ok for a couple of levels or so then you get 1000pts less than you should per fruit/atarilogo/key with means you get ZERO for the greengage? thing :!:

I found this PacMan PDF on my old hard drive.

Book_how_to_win_at_pac-man but the PDF is to large to post here at AA. Seems to be pattern recognition and timing to get the most Ghosts and Cherry's.

post-10165-127242702616_thumb.png

Front Page..

Edited by rdea6

Thanks will check this one out! I did a bit more research and you get 4100 on levels 1 and 2 cherry and strawberry, then it's ok for a couple of levels or so then you get 1000pts less than you should per fruit/atarilogo/key with means you get ZERO for the greengage? thing :!:

Weird.

Let me know how the one I uploaded Works out for you. =)

I found this PacMan PDF on my old hard drive.

Book_how_to_win_at_pac-man but the PDF is to large to post here at AA. Seems to be pattern recognition and timing to get the most Ghosts and Cherry's.

I used to have that book when I was a wee lad. It definitely helped my Pac-Man skills back-in-the-day...

Weird.

I just tried it-- it's no good. The joystick controls stick at certain times-- it just stops moving right or up on certain screens. And it's not that hard. Try holding joystick to right at beginning of screen and you should see that at certain screens (levels), it doesn't move right but forces you to go left and down before you can move right and up. That's the only thing that killed me as I was on a record pace:

post-12094-127256129631_thumb.jpg

Weird.

I just tried it-- it's no good. The joystick controls stick at certain times-- it just stops moving right or up on certain screens. And it's not that hard. Try holding joystick to right at beginning of screen and you should see that at certain screens (levels), it doesn't move right but forces you to go left and down before you can move right and up. That's the only thing that killed me as I was on a record pace:

Thanks kjmann. I'm glad u posted that atariksi, I thought it was just me (again!). I've got used to not being able to go right at the start of level without pushing up first. I'm getting on ok with this ver although am missing the extra 4K per cherry :D

Hope you plan to post a score dwhyte, I did read your poems ;)

kjmann, the version you've posted is NOT a Datasoft release - it's rather one of several prototype versions that float over the net. The official Datasoft release (and the identical US Gold tape version) is distinct in that it does not contain the Atari copyright on the title and Nicknames screens.

At AtariOnline.pl there are several versions of Pac-Man available - among them is a file version of the cartridge release, the Datasoft version, and several different(!) prototypes (or maybe some of them are bad cracks), that differ in details. However we can't be sure if the Datasoft version available there is 100% correct. So I suggest to grab the US Gold tape version from Atarimania, which is verified to be 100% correct.

Edited by Kr0tki

kjmann, the version you've posted is NOT a Datasoft release - it's rather one of several prototype versions that float over the net. The official Datasoft release (and the identical US Gold tape version) is distinct in that it does not contain the Atari copyright on the title and Nicknames screens.

At AtariOnline.pl there are several versions of Pac-Man available - among them is a file version of the cartridge release, the Datasoft version, and several different(!) prototypes (or maybe some of them are bad cracks), that differ in details. However we can't be sure if the Datasoft version available there is 100% correct. So I suggest to grab the US Gold tape version from Atarimania, which is verified to be 100% correct.

Yes That is the Datasoft Release. I have an Original Disk of the Datasoft Version (Commodore 64 on side one and Atari on side 2 with the Gold/Blue lettering labels) and It is Identical. Includes the intermissions and the Character/Nickname Screen. It Also Had the Atari Copyright on the screen. Also I tested that Control Bug This morning and it exists in my original of the datasoft release as well. a nasty bug to say the least.