IGNORED

ADAM Prototype Module

retroillucid

Here's one of the 2 Adam prototype module sold last year on Ebay...

Does someone can tell for sure what is it? :ponder:

I can post more picture of the unit if needed..

I can tell you what it is ......... it's dirty and needs a clean :D

On a serious note, could this be a prototype interface module between the Adam and external disk drives?

Here's one of the 2 Adam prototype module sold last year on Ebay...

Does someone can tell for sure what is it? :ponder:

I can post more picture of the unit if needed..

The casing is an Expansion Module #1 - Atari VSC (2600) Adapter with the setting buttons removed and the cartidge connector replaced by a parallel female connector. The Exp. Mod. #1 plugged into the ColecoVision front expansion bus or the ADAM's expansion bus on the right side and allowed owners to play their Atari VCS games via the ColecoVision, the module was actually an Atari VCS console that used the power and video output of the ColecoVision. I can't honestly say if this is a legit Coleco made prototype of the Expansion Module #1 or someone pulled a fast one on you. Have you actually plugged it into an ADAM or ColecoVision, or are you afraid to in the case that it damages these units? Basically, you have to start somewhere and hope for the best.

The "ADAM Final Test..." label doesn't look like anything Coleco would have done to identify a prototype and they did create a series of test cartridges for their systems so that label strikes me as odd.

Unfortunately I no longer have an Exp Mod #1 to compare the chips on the circuit board, but it isn't an adapter to attach an external floppy drive. Coleco made an external 5 1/4" SS/DD Floppy Disk Drive that plugged into either ADAMnet connector on the console (coiled or flat cable with telephone connectors to attach the two) and any other drives planeed for the ADAM would have been of the ADAMnet variety. There were no hardware items developed by Coleco that used the Expansion Bus other than the AutoDialer. However, 3rd party developers from mid-1985 on to 1992 released serial, parallel, speech syn/clock card, midi and 80 column units that used this bus.

Good luck with your search for info, hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

I suspect it was used in the factory or by field service engineers. "Final test" is a term used to test a system that has been fully made up e.g. the motherboard PCB in the plastics and screwed down, RF shielding in place, all screws in the case are in and tight. Basically just before you bag it, add manuals etc. and then put it in the box. The large upper facing D-Connector probably connected to another box that checks out signals and/or instructs the Adam what to do like some simple tests e.g. RAM test, ROM checksum test etc. Is there a field service guide for the Adam available? Have you dumped the ROM?

I suspect it was used in the factory or by field service engineers. "Final test" is a term used to test a system that has been fully made up e.g. the motherboard PCB in the plastics and screwed down, RF shielding in place, all screws in the case are in and tight. Basically just before you bag it, add manuals etc. and then put it in the box. The large upper facing D-Connector probably connected to another box that checks out signals and/or instructs the Adam what to do like some simple tests e.g. RAM test, ROM checksum test etc. Is there a field service guide for the Adam available? Have you dumped the ROM?

It could be... but...

Does all coleco hardware were assembled in USA ?

Not China?

• Like 2

Maybe something is blown inside the proto...

...As it was found in Coleco's garbages when they went out of buisness (That was the Seller was saying)

This unit might have worked with one of the cartridge test programs... a couple of which only worked on a real ADAM Computer.

Could it be this?

This picture you posted is the original concept art for the first design of the ADAM Computer. Don't think this unit was every actually designed, but having heard so much about the incredible talents of the poeple working for Coleco back in the 80's, I'm sure something like this existed before they proceded down the road to what we know the ADAM to be.

They also had developed a CD-ROM Drive and an ADAM system that was completely compatible with the Apple II along with other amazing prototypes that have got to be out there somewhere.

... but having heard so much about the incredible talents of the poeple working for Coleco back in the 80's, I'm sure something like this existed before they proceded down the road to what we know the ADAM to be.

That's why i'm thinking this proto has something related to this

There's also, another ADAM proto wich I've seen many time on web

The system look almost identical, except for the front of the unit

BTW: I'm the one who buy this original Adam sketch :) .. also proud too! :D

• Like 2

This's the one I'm talking about

That's the first design that the public saw (Summer CES '83). This was the replacement to the Supergame Module and as you can see in the Memory Console, it had two wafer tape drives which Coleco finally gave up on and went the route of the digital data drive.

That's the first design that the public saw (Summer CES '83). This was the replacement to the Supergame Module and as you can see in the Memory Console, it had two wafer tape drives which Coleco finally gave up on and went the route of the digital data drive.

If you look closely to the proto pcb, you'll notice a Eprom labeled: Tape Sim.

could it be related to the wafer tape?

• Like 2

Wish I could tell you for sure. I have assembled all the Test roms I have, a number of them that won't work on an emulator and back in the '80's was told they don't work in cartridge form... maybe looking for additional hardware.

• Like 1

Wish I could tell you for sure. I have assembled all the Test roms I have, a number of them that won't work on an emulator and back in the '80's was told they don't work in cartridge form... maybe looking for additional hardware.

That's SO MUCH cool from you! :D :thumbsup:

(+1 for you Jim ;) )

So, now I'm pretty sure it come from the Adam "waffer tape" Module!

• Like 2