IGNORED

Is the IBM Model M keyboard too loud for the office?

Synthead

I just got a job doing data entry and I'm see-saw-ing between using my beloved Model M at work or not. I don't want to wear out the plastic on the keys using it constantly for eight hours a day, five days a week, but my other conern is that I don't want to sound like I'm jackhammering a sidewalk apart in my cubicle. Do you think that this keyboard would be too loud for the job? I guess I should just show up with it and see if anyone complains. I suppose with all the people listening to music on the job, it doesn't really matter anyway. I'm using some cheapo Dell right now, and man, the difference ... What are your thoughts?

Edited by Synthead

I have a Das Keyboard. Similar mechanical keyswitches, but they're not quite as loud. It's also USB, which is nice on a modern computer. Plus, the blank keycaps discourage anyone else from using my computer. I still prefer the Model Ms, but if you share space with others this is a good solution.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is pretty old, but I use an old Dell buckling spring keyboard at work for data entry.

I love is because

a-it's loud so everone knows how fast i am (18000 keystrokes per hour)

b-no on else uses my desk EVER

c-It is way more accurate than the POS keyboards we are expected to use now

d-It says DELL on it and I work for HP, that really pisses off the managers :evil:

• 2 months later...

It depends on the office. If there's normally a lot of "background noise" (noisy equipment, people coming and going, etc), then the keyboard probably won't stand out very much. If it's a quiet office, then I can see how a buckling spring model could become a distraction. You might consider going for a "Quiet Touch" Model M instead, which uses rubber dome switches. I use one in my office, and while I don't like it quite as much as the buckling spring "clicky" I use at home, it's still far superior to the mushy $10 OEM keyboards you'd be stuck with otherwise. Unicomp still sells both varieties, and they even have USB-native versions now.