IGNORED

FS: Monkey Labs Atari Lampshades!

Got mine today, and it looks GREAT! It has box art from the first six Starpath games around the middle, and the rest is filled in with art from the other six games. This is a high quality item, and IMO there's no need to worry about how the artwork will "fit" on the shade. Were the design more traditional (like flowers or something), it would be hard to believe the shade wasn't[i/] purchased in a store.

I thought, what the heck, I've got this lamp made from an oatmeal can that I dropped a while back. The fall cracked its shade and shattered the black ring bulb. When I get the bulb replaced, I'll light it up and shoot photos!

NOTE: Monkey Labs does enjoy the barter system. I will trade for these as well, but be forewarned: It will take some nice stuff to get me to trade. Trade value is still the same as the price point, so I won't be asking for more than that, but green pieces of paper with Presidents on them are always my priority.

In other words, don't send him $10 bills! :P

You name it. As long as I can find the scans, it's workable. Hell, I can do Playboy centerfolds if anyone wants that. :lol:

EDIT: I do have to be the bearer of bad news, though. The price point has gone up on them. :( After doing a bit of experimentation to find out some variables, using the scans for optimum photo print quality means I go through ink like no tomorrow. In order to offset this cost they'll have to be $50 each now. I'm really sorry to have to announce that but if I do it at the $40 price point I'm actually taking a loss on each one. I have an Epson Stylus Photo R200 and full color pack of ink and black ink costs me $100 to replace. I can basically get out 4 lampshades in complete before needing to replace ink (high quality, photo scans at large size). That's $25 in ink and $15 for the lampshade in materials, already making my $40 price point without taking into consideration cost of adhesive and time to make them.

Ink needs to not be so damned expensive. :x I am going to attempt some other printing options to see if I can get that cost down and make the price point go down. I think Staples charges roughly $1/color print for 12 box scans = $12, but I'm not totally sure. 89c last I tried to print something. There's also the copyright issue, so I don't know if they'll even be willing to print them in the first place. :|

Yeah, it's a BITCH. I bought brand new ink for $100 (really closer to $110 but I'm rounding down with sales tax and all) when I first started doing these. I got shadow's done and the three lampshades for my lamp orders completed and I already have to buy more ink. That's another $100. At this point in time I should have just bought a damned laserjet color printer, which Al and I were just talking about.

Epson ink is SPENDY, too, but Epson color printer photos look a lot better than other brands, I must say.

I should add if you're interested but can't pay now, we can get a project started and then you can pay when you're ready and able. I'm not going to balk at having to hang on to an item for a couple weeks until a buyer can get funds together. :) I know I had a couple people mention they wanted one but couldn't afford it right now, but if you want to get your name on a list and start a project NOW for payment at a future date I am more than willing to do that. :D I understand when money is tight and you want something but can't get it for the time being.

Call it Monkey Labs Layaway Program. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Monkey Labs does enjoy the barter system. I will trade for these as well, but be forewarned: It will take some nice stuff to get me to trade. Trade value is still the same as the price point, so I won't be asking for more than that, but green pieces of paper with DEAD Presidents on them are always my priority.

There I fixed it for ya

Bump with new information.

I don't want to take these with me when moving next Saturday, and I have also made a ton of improvements on my lampshade technique doing my lamp orders. Looking at these they are not nearly as refined as my lamp order shades are, so you know what? These babies are not going for full price. I wouldn't feel right selling someone this for full price.

They still look really good. Under a bulb and on a lamp, great stuff. But they're not perfect. As you can see in these photos the seamwork is not perfect and there's a few adhesive spots that wouldn't lighten. Once again, nothing major but to at least my eye they are imperfections that I can do better on.

Consider them PROTOS. Lampshade protos! :) Price point has been ridiculously reduced on these. $25 plus shipping gets each. I am losing a bunch of money on that deal but that's okay, I need them gone and they can't be a full-price anyway.

post-24585-127370572884_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127370573438_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127370573962_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127370574499_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127370575059_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127370575593_thumb.jpgpost-24585-12737057616_thumb.jpgpost-24585-127370576689_thumb.jpg

Also I'm not making more of these after this sale. There is absolutely no interest whatsoever in me producing this and I'm not going to spend 4-5 hours per lampshade in labor and $40 in expenses each for absolutely no bites. (Yes, $40 in expenses. I was even taking a loss at the full $40 price I started with. $25 is a STEAL)

Well, one order, at least. :D Nonetheless I don't mean to sound bitchy about it but I apparently incorrectly presumed that there were actually individuals out there interested in this product. Guess not. :(

Also I'm not making more of these after this sale. There is absolutely no interest whatsoever in me producing this and I'm not going to spend 4-5 hours per lampshade in labor and $40 in expenses each for absolutely no bites. (Yes, $40 in expenses. I was even taking a loss at the full $40 price I started with. $25 is a STEAL)

Well, one order, at least. :D Nonetheless I don't mean to sound bitchy about it but I apparently incorrectly presumed that there were actually individuals out there interested in this product. Guess not. :(

I'm interested in a XL/XE one... but I've been laid off and I'm broke... If I had the cash I would buy one...

Guess I'm the owner of another super rare prototype Atari item! Now what would this be worth on epay again!? :ponder: Let me tell you guys, that lamp is definitely noticeable hen one walks in.

BTW, Cebus, your payment was sent the day before yesterday. It should turn up soon. Thanks for the business! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lamp with an oatmeal can base just sitting here. Since I always keep one black light around, I purchased a Circline fluorescent black light for this lamp several years ago along with a purple lamp shade.

Now, since I've had Starpath titles 1 through 10 ever since 1983, I think it's only appropriate to ask if you can make one of these from the scans of Starpath box art, scans of the tape inserts, or even scans of the tapes themselves since the prototypes I have don't have box art or the inserts that go in a typical cassette case.

EDIT: If you want, I'll even send you the black lamp shade to work with.

Just a month later comment...

On the original Stella gets a new brain CD, there are cassette insert graphics for 3 more games. I'll attach them. They are tif files, I converted to jpg. I can email the tif's if you want.

post-25375-127480674368_thumb.jpg

post-25375-127480675802_thumb.jpg

post-25375-127480678122_thumb.jpg