IGNORED

AtariAge Welcomes Ted Dabney!

An earlier thread about Nolan Bushnell's recent appointment to Atari's Board of Directors has evolved into an intense debate about Bushnell's role in the history of video games. Among the many developments in that thread comes the happy news that Ted Dabney, designer of the first coin-operated video game (Computer Space) and co-founder of Atari, is now an AtariAge member!

To quote the earlier thread:

I wish his arrival had occurred under happier circumstances, but I too am honored and flattered to see that Ted Dabney has joined AtariAge, and I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I extend him a warm and enthusiastic welcome.

Mr. Dabney, I hope you can tell from reading this thread that you are among friends here. We are delighted by your presence and stand in awe of your many accomplishments. Thank you, and welcome!

Please join me in welcoming one of the video game industry's founding fathers and pioneers into the AtariAge community!

• Like 6

Personally I think that is really cool. A co-founder joining a community centered around Atari and classic games in general. I think it would be an interesting thing indeed to see what your impact has been, and what your impact still is on the community. Just an odd thought trail...I do that.

Welcome to the boards. Enjoy!

I am humbled by the reception I've received. Thank you so much.

First, I want to say I am not an inovator, I'm just a very capable engineer.

Nolan Busnell had the visions and I had the way to accomplish them.

My only complaint is that he gave me no recognition for what I did.

He said that I had no digital skills yet I designed and manufactured the "Number Callout System" (Notalog) for Pizza Time.

I designed and manufactured the "Isaac Asimov Presents Super Quiz" for Pizza Time. He still owes me $40,000 for that one.

He said that I didn't have a daughter because he always pretended that he worked in HIS daughters bedroom. He told me that Paula (his first wife) would not allow it.

All in all, you wouldn't be interested anything I have to say except for my involvement with Nolan. And I thank him for that.

• Like 20