IGNORED

AtariAge Welcomes Ted Dabney!

No worries Mr. Dabney! A lot of people don't get Random Terrain's unique blend of flavors and spices to create jokes. :)

Can you elaborate a bit more on what happened in the falling out between you and Mr. Bushnell and ultimately your being removed from the company? It was a very hot topic in the other thread so I'd like to hear some more perspective on that if you feel comfortable talking about it.

Thanks!

No worries Mr. Dabney! A lot of people don't get Random Terrain's unique blend of flavors and spices to create jokes. :)

Can you elaborate a bit more on what happened in the falling out between you and Mr. Bushnell and ultimately your being removed from the company? It was a very hot topic in the other thread so I'd like to hear some more perspective on that if you feel comfortable talking about it.

Thanks!

Cebus Capucinis,

Thanx for the question.

The only thing that I'll say about that right now is that, at the time, Nolan and I both thought it was a good idea.

I'm pretty sure you wanted more but this will have to do for now.

My hobby now is writing Visual Basic programs. I'm not real good at it but I can get it to do anything I want. Real VB programmers would probably not be impressed with my stuff but I am.

But what does that have to do with pizza or giant mice? Please stay on topic! :D

LMAO!!!

Hey is there a market for old CEC tokens? lol ;)icon_mrgreen.gif

Edit, I nosed around the net to find...

GOOD GOD! Look at this... $1000 for a CEC token?!!?!?

http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/tokens/cec/CECbounty.html

Edited by Shantai

Please add me to the list of people who are pleasantly surprised (much so!) at Mr. Dabney's participation here. I think there are probably more people very interested in anything you have to say, than you realize. Thanks for the info! more! more! :)

No problem! I understand it is a rather touchy subject and was simply curious. :thumbsup:

No. It's not a touchy subject. It's just that I'm trying work some stuff out with Nolan right now and I don't want to say anything, either positive or negative, until I do.

I hope all goes well for you. I would be very interested in hearing/reading/seeing an accurate account of that era of Atari. Marty and Curt have been trying for years(as you well know)to accomplish that. Having you and Nolan work stuff out and (I assume) "get your ducks in row" regarding how you want to present "what really happened" would be wonderful.

I look forward to the fruits of your discussions if you are so inclined to share.

Also, to echo everyone else - Welcome!! I hope you like it here!

"Buck"

Chris Buckmister

Mr Dabney, it is a pleasure and an honor to have you on this board. I just recently read From Pong to Pokemon: The Ultimate History of Video Games, so its really neat to me to have just learned about you and Nolan and for you both to now be on this board.

Have you ever read any video game histories and if/so do you feel as if anything has been misrepresented or anything that you feel that you should "set straight" (not related to Nolan of course since I see that you're trying to work something out with him).

Mr Dabney, it is a pleasure and an honor to have you on this board. I just recently read From Pong to Pokemon: The Ultimate History of Video Games, so its really neat to me to have just learned about you and Nolan and for you both to now be on this board.

Have you ever read any video game histories and if/so do you feel as if anything has been misrepresented or anything that you feel that you should "set straight" (not related to Nolan of course since I see that you're trying to work something out with him).

Dastari Creel,

No. I don't stay up on the industry at all. I've heard a lot of stories that didn't include me. Al Alcorn gave a two hour interview about the Syzygy/Atari startup and I wasn't mentioned even once. Nolan seems to come up with truths based on what he wants to be true.

Other than Leonard Herman, nobody seemed to care very much about my participation. On a very few occasions I've been given too much credit.

I didn't invent Computer Space. I developed the cicuits that Nolan used to invent it. I did coin the phrase "Hyperspace" for when Computer Space flipped to black-on-white. I designed the sound cicuit that used a zener diode selected for how noisy it was. Those were some fun times.

Ted

• Like 1

Mr. Dabney....Did you have any input into this upcoming film/movie called 'Atari' (the one apparently starring leonardo DiCaprio) If not, why don't you get a rival film company to make another 'Atari 'film....it will be interesting

carmel_andrews,

No input. I tried every way I could find to contact them. No reply at all.

Nolan is the "big kahoona". A movie about me would even be boring me.

Ted

Edited by Ted Dabney
  • Like 1

welcome ted! it is a pleasure to see you here and to know that finally the right people get some credit!

a lot of people missunderstood the nolan thread. it wasn't about bashing nolan .... it was more about giving credits to those people involved in the success of atari that have been forgotten along the road ...

i always hate when the "boss" taps own his own shoulder and forgets to thank publicly the other people involved, especially when they contributed a big part of the creative process.

at the end, this is why people left atari and went on founding atari, apollo, imagic and so on ...

Just a couple of other things Ted....Was computer space based on a similar coin op game (that preceded it) called 'galaxy game' by Bill Pitts (even though only one was made)

Is it true that Steve Bristow has one of the very few surviving Computer space machines (does he still have it...or is it gathering dust somewhere)

Also, whatever became of the driving game (that bally asked NB to design/build) that Bushnell was supposed to be designing (with Alcorn) while he was getting alcorn to design Arcade Pong

Lastly once you've sorted out your business with Mr Bushnell, would it be possible for you to somehow emulate the likes of Arcade Pong and Computer space via Visual Basic (since you said you were fairly proficient in this programming language)

Mr. Dabney....Did you have any input into this upcoming film/movie called 'Atari' (the one apparently starring leonardo DiCaprio) If not, why don't you get a rival film company to make another 'Atari 'film....it will be interesting

carmel_andrews,

Ted

Ted you should insist Tom Cruise play your role in the movie. He would get top billing over Leonardo ;)

carmel_andrews,

Ted

Ted you should insist Tom Cruise play your role in the movie. He would get top billing over Leonardo ;)

I think Gabby Hayes would have been a better fit...

• Like 1

I think Gabby Hayes would have been a better fit...

Well, I'm sure you're doing yourself an injustice here. Even so, I think some video clips are in order ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7koigiUq7GE

... just in case the young whippersnappers on these boards don't know who you're talking about. I think Tall in the Saddle is my favorite among the Gabby Hayes movies I've seen.

I don't know Ted,

I figure Sam Elliot would be your perfect fit for the REAL Atari movie...

post-23-12739794802_thumb.jpg

Nolan should still be played by Will Ferrell - he's the perfect height and build, throw a mustache and pipe on him and you have Nolan...

Here is my 3 minute "Photoshopped Will Ferrell as Nolan"

post-23-127398016965_thumb.jpg

Richard Karn would've made a good Al Alcorn, but he's getting a little on in years and you need a younger looking guy to play Al for the beginning of the movie.

Curt

jaybird3rd,

Thanks so much. I loved those clips of George "Gabby" Hayes.

I haven't seen anything like that since I was a young whippersnapper.

Ted

• Like 1

Well I don't know about y'all, but I'm friggin STARVING....anybody for some pizza?

Seriously, I'm hungry, it's late and I'm thousands of miles away from REAL PIZZA!!!...egad!

Welcome Mr. Dabney!..even though I only openend this thread because I thought he was the guy from "Cloak and Dagger"...lol!

That's Dabney Coleman but kind of a funny coincidence.

Well I don't know about y'all, but I'm friggin STARVING....anybody for some pizza?

Seriously, I'm hungry, it's late and I'm thousands of miles away from REAL PIZZA!!!...egad!

Welcome Mr. Dabney!..even though I only openend this thread because I thought he was the guy from "Cloak and Dagger"...lol!

That's Dabney Coleman but kind of a funny coincidence.

and Wargames! :)

God I love that movie!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...