IGNORED

AtariAge Welcomes Ted Dabney!

Well I don't know about y'all, but I'm friggin STARVING....anybody for some pizza?

Seriously, I'm hungry, it's late and I'm thousands of miles away from REAL PIZZA!!!...egad!

Welcome Mr. Dabney!..even though I only openend this thread because I thought he was the guy from "Cloak and Dagger"...lol!

That's Dabney Coleman but kind of a funny coincidence.

and Wargames! :)

God I love that movie!!

This whole thing is very familiar. :D

Edited by Random Terrain

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Reverend,

Everybody was talking and not asking questions.

The one question that was asked, I couldn't answer at the time.

I was only in on the very early days. It was all coin-op.

I don't even know what a 2600 is.

I think part of the reason is that those earlier years haven't been as well-documented, and of course there's a lot of misinformation out there as well. I'm sure we'll all have more questions when Curt's and Marty's book comes out.

• Like 1

RetroGamingRoundup.com is excited to announce we will have the first on-air interview with Ted coming in our October podcast. 2 hours of a very in depth interview for your listening pleasure. And believe me, you don't want to miss this!

And, Ted, if you are reading this, it was a real honor talking with you and we are looking forward to a follow up interview In the future. (SoCal Mike)

Edited by Parrothead
  • Like 4

RetroGamingRoundup.com is excited to announce we will have the first on-air interview with Ted coming in our October podcast. 2 hours of a very in depth interview for your listening pleasure. And believe me, you don't want to miss this!

And, Ted, if you are reading this, it was a real honor talking with you and we are looking forward to a follow up interview In the future. (SoCal Mike)

My pleasure SoCal Mike. That was a lot of fun.

• Like 3

I'm a little late to the party because I don't get to get around to the forums as often as I once did due to work, but I wanted to extend a hearty welcome to you, Mr. Dabney.

I'm one of the younger ones on the board, being born some time after the Atari 2600 made it's debut. My brother introduced me to that machine, so Atari has practically been a household word all my life. In addition to the great arcade games that I've had the privilege to play on occasion, without your contribution and Mr. Bushnell's, none of that would have been possible.

Welcome aboard! icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

As a reminder:

We are excited to announce that coming in our October RetroGamingRoundup podcast, next week, we will present a 2+ hour interview with Mr. Ted Dabney, co-creator of Atari and also the first commercially produced arcade game, Computer Space. This is his first aired interview ever!

This is an interview you don't want to miss. As many of you know the story Nolan Bushnell tells about how Computer Space and Atari came into existence isn't exactly the way it was. Ted tells all and answers many of the questions we have all had for years about the birth of CS and Atari.

When the podcast goes live, I will update this thread with a show link.

Edited by Parrothead

As a reminder:

We are excited to announce that coming in our October RetroGamingRoundup podcast, next week, we will present a 2+ hour interview with Mr. Ted Dabney, co-creator of Atari and also the first commercially produced arcade game, Computer Space. This is his first aired interview ever!

First video arcade game, the arcade game industry was around long before that. ;)

[This is an interview you don't want to miss. As many of you know the story Nolan Bushnell tells about how Computer Space and Atari came into existence isn't exactly the way it was. Ted tells all and answers many of the questions we have all had for years about the birth of CS and Atari.

And we really look forward to it. As you allude to above, there's going to be content in this interview echoing what myself and Curt previously said on AA (since Ted was the source for a lot of it) that'll have the previous naysayers eating crow. Very well done interview and it sounds like Ted is having a great time.

• Like 1

As a reminder:

First video arcade game, the arcade game industry was around long before that. ;)

[This is an interview you don't want to miss. As many of you know the story Nolan Bushnell tells about how Computer Space and Atari came into existence isn't exactly the way it was. Ted tells all and answers many of the questions we have all had for years about the birth of CS and Atari.

And we really look forward to it. As you allude to above, there's going to be content in this interview echoing what myself and Curt previously said on AA (since Ted was the source for a lot of it) that'll have the previous naysayers eating crow. Very well done interview and it sounds like Ted is having a great time.

Um, ya, that is what I meant :) Can't wait for this to go live so others can hear it.

I am humbled by the reception I've received. Thank you so much.

First, I want to say I am not an inovator, I'm just a very capable engineer.

Nolan Busnell had the visions and I had the way to accomplish them.

My only complaint is that he gave me no recognition for what I did.

He said that I had no digital skills yet I designed and manufactured the "Number Callout System" (Notalog) for Pizza Time.

I designed and manufactured the "Isaac Asimov Presents Super Quiz" for Pizza Time. He still owes me $40,000 for that one.

He said that I didn't have a daughter because he always pretended that he worked in HIS daughters bedroom. He told me that Paula (his first wife) would not allow it.

All in all, you wouldn't be interested anything I have to say except for my involvement with Nolan. And I thank him for that.

I just had a thought

Nolan Bushnell = Steve Jobs

Ted Dabney = Steve Wozniak

:o

• 1 month later...

Wow....I really need to frequent the Gaming General room more often. I take the spring and summer off to work on the 'ol car and enjoy the outdoors, and then I find that Mr. Dabney is a member of our little community here!

I just finished listening to the interview over on Retro Gaming Roundup. Mike squared and Scott....great job guys! I've listened to SO many podcast interviews over the years that are simply extremely bad because of poor hosting/questions being asked. After hearing yours (my 1st from RGR) I'm now a subscriber!

Mr. Dabney - welcome to AtariAge! I cannot begin to express my appreciation for taking the time to have a dialouge with our community and to being to educate us all regarding the true history behind this hobby/company that we enjoy so much! I'm so glad that this is finally being document for posterity's sake.

• Like 2

...taking the time to have a dialouge...

Did you mean "Dialounge", the 66 pound beach chair for skinny people with too much money? With an extension cord, you could set the TV and Atari on the other chair for retro fun-in-the-sun.

No, I think he meant 'bobsled'. That's like luge with 2 people, making it dialuge, right? or is it 3?

Wow. Dialogue. I stand corrected....though maybe I need to get me one of those chairs!! :ponder:

Edited by Metal Ghost

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....I really need to frequent the Gaming General room more often. I take the spring and summer off to work on the 'ol car and enjoy the outdoors, and then I find that Mr. Dabney is a member of our little community here!

I just finished listening to the interview over on Retro Gaming Roundup. Mike squared and Scott....great job guys! I've listened to SO many podcast interviews over the years that are simply extremely bad because of poor hosting/questions being asked. After hearing yours (my 1st from RGR) I'm now a subscriber!

Mr. Dabney - welcome to AtariAge! I cannot begin to express my appreciation for taking the time to have a dialouge with our community and to being to educate us all regarding the true history behind this hobby/company that we enjoy so much! I'm so glad that this is finally being document for posterity's sake.

Metal Ghost - thanks for the welcome...

Nobody cared about my involvement in Atari until you guys came along.

AtariAge is a concept that I would have never imagined.

You folks have treated me like a "rock star" and I have enjoyed it tremendously.

Thank you so much.

• Like 11

you're welcome! :)

see yourself more as a AtariAge-Legend than a rockstar. because we're less rockstarfans, and much more devoted collectors that have tons of respect for the people that created our hobby in the first place!

rockstarfans will often go with the media hype and quickly move on to the next "star" ... we stay true to our roots!

we respect nolan for his influence on the history of atari, but we also don't forget the people in the background that made all this possible and that nolan often forgot to mention when he was just talkin about himself and his company!

• Like 2

Metal Ghost - thanks for the welcome...

Nobody cared about my involvement in Atari until you guys came along.

AtariAge is a concept that I would have never imagined.

You folks have treated me like a "rock star" and I have enjoyed it tremendously.

Thank you so much.

There are a lot of brilliant people here at AA that can understand the technology behind your accomplishments creating the first video games. I am not one of them. If it were up to me to create the world's first video game, it never would have happened. Therefore, I really appreciate your work in getting things started. It's obvious that without your help Atari never would have happened, so thank you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: