IGNORED

AtariAge Welcomes Ted Dabney!

Metal Ghost - thanks for the welcome...

Nobody cared about my involvement in Atari until you guys came along.

AtariAge is a concept that I would have never imagined.

You folks have treated me like a "rock star" and I have enjoyed it tremendously.

Thank you so much.

There are a lot of brilliant people here at AA that can understand the technology behind your accomplishments creating the first video games. I am not one of them. If it were up to me to create the world's first video game, it never would have happened. Therefore, I really appreciate your work in getting things started. It's obvious that without your help Atari never would have happened, so thank you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

accousticguitar,

That's a nice thought but isn't quite true!! The Video Game Industry was an "idea whose time had come".

If it wasn't me, it would have been somebody else. I'm very glad it was me.

If Bally hadn't rejected PONG this site would be called "BallyAge" or maybe "MidwayAge".

You are right about Atari though. I was key there. If I didn't have enough personal money to buy the first 50 Hitaci TV's then Atari wouldn't have been able to build the first PONG's. The only thing we could have done is patent my digital motion circuit and watch for fast everybody could get around it.

• Like 5

If I didn't have enough personal money to buy the first 50 Hitaci TV's then Atari wouldn't have been able to build the first PONG's.

those are the stories we love to read! :D

jahfish,

I like telling these stories. If there is something in particular you would like to know,just tell me.

Remember that I left before the 2600 so I don't know much about that one.

Ted

• Like 2

Even though you weren't involved with the 2600, I'd still love to hear your insights on it. When you guys were working on those early arcade machines did you ever think that it would be something that could get turned into an experience in the home or was the focus entirely on trying to develop new kinds of "pub games" ?

Were you guys looking at what Magnavox was doing (with the Odyssey) and thinking of yourselves as competitors or in another market entirely?

Edited by Algus

Even though you weren't involved with the 2600, I'd still love to hear your insights on it. When you guys were working on those early arcade machines did you ever think that it would be something that could get turned into an experience in the home or was the focus entirely on trying to develop new kinds of "pub games" ?

Were you guys looking at what Magnavox was doing (with the Odyssey) and thinking of yourselves as competitors or in another market entirely?

Hi Algus,

Our focus was strickly on coin-op. The consumer market was not within our reach.

The Odyssey was pretty primitive and wasn't destined to last. It was specific to Magnavox TV's.

We did start to give this some serious thought after the success of PONG.

The first two PONG prototypes had RF outputs (could connect to any TV) so Al Alcorn had a place to start.

Al built a demo unit to show Sears. They liked it and gave Atari a big order for these things and they would get exclusive rights to it.

Sears cancelled the order well after Atari spent big bucks on production. They probably figured that they would be able to cut a better deal if Atari was getting desperate.

All the cancellation did was cost Sears its exclusivity. Atari just took off the Sears logo and went with another retail chain. Sears came back later on.

Now, all of this happend after I left so I'm going on what I heard from Nolan and Al.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It was specific to Magnavox TV's.

Actually it wasn't. It was just marketed by Magnavox retail stores, and there are some reports that salesmen said it would only work on a Magnavox TV. However, it works on any set.

This is definately true. Ive seen many odyssey ads and they never even suggest they only work on magnavox tvs, infact im not sure how a company would even do this with 1972 technology. They just have magnavox tvs in their ads. Who wouldnt. Why would they advertise an odyssey on a competitors tv

It was specific to Magnavox TV's.

Actually it wasn't. It was just marketed by Magnavox retail stores, and there are some reports that salesmen said it would only work on a Magnavox TV. However, it works on any set.

This is definately true. Ive seen many odyssey ads and they never even suggest they only work on magnavox tvs, infact im not sure how a company would even do this with 1972 technology. They just have magnavox tvs in their ads. Who wouldnt they. Why would they advertise an odyssey on a competitors tv

• 2 months later...

Wow Marty, that's great to hear! Can you outline the specifics (besides having a Skype account I assume) on how to listen in on the interview? I'm guessing that it's like a U-Stream type of set-up?

You have to be at the show to see it, it's not a webcast event. It's an interview specifically for the Midwest Gaming Classic attendees.

• Like 1

Mr. Dabney, how about writing a book about the early years at Atari?

That would be a great read and Mr. Dabney is surely the best person for such a job!

Personally, I'd really love to read something as detailed as Bagnall's "Commodore: a company on the edge" but for Atari and the very early industry days...

In the meantime, the book I wrote (The Golden Age of Video Games) should be released in a matter of days. I'm very happy and proud to say that Mr. Dabney was so kind to help me in this project by writing the foreword and by providing some unique and insightful comments and anecdotes on the early Atari days which I would have definitely missed otherwise.

Cheers!

Roberto

• Like 1

I am extremely interested in Master Dabney's book, if he were to make one. It would be a huge best-seller, if it was advertised here.

I am very interested in the stories that you have provided us, Master Dabney, and I am rereading the thread over again.

That would be a great read and Mr. Dabney is surely the best person for such a job!

Personally, I'd really love to read something as detailed as Bagnall's "Commodore: a company on the edge" but for Atari and the very early industry days...

Already being done. Lenny and Curt and I have interviewed Ted very extensively. Lenny for his next update to Phoenix, and Curt and I for our '69-'84 Atari Inc. book ('69 because that's when the story really starts).

Already being done. Lenny and Curt and I have interviewed Ted very extensively. Lenny for his next update to Phoenix, and Curt and I for our '69-'84 Atari Inc. book ('69 because that's when the story really starts).

can't wait to read both of them! Any idea when they'd be out?

• 3 weeks later...

All you folks have shown such an interest in the early days of Atari that I can only be thankful that I was a part of it.

Marty, Curt, Lenny and Roberto have written so much about this subject that there is nothing that I could write that could be any more informative. I have a lot of fun working with these guys.

Remember, it was Bushnell that created Atari. My main contribution was to invent the motion circuit that made it possible and my savings account allowed us to build the first 62 Pongs.

Bushnell's character is such that he has to take all the credit for everything even though none of this would have happend without Steve Bristow, Al Alcorn and me. It's very sad that money and fame run his life. He was a fun guy to be with before he had these things.

The Skype interview was a real hoot. Being able to see and talk to someone on my computer was a very new experiance for me.

• Like 2

Ted, thanks so much for giving generously of your time and memories. I was alongside a lot of others this weekend at the Midwest Gaming Classic to see your interview with Marty. It was great fun hearing the stories and seeing events from your perspective -- was much appreciated. Thanks for being part of this community.

All you folks have shown such an interest in the early days of Atari that I can only be thankful that I was a part of it.

Marty, Curt, Lenny and Roberto have written so much about this subject that there is nothing that I could write that could be any more informative. I have a lot of fun working with these guys.

Remember, it was Bushnell that created Atari. My main contribution was to invent the motion circuit that made it possible and my savings account allowed us to build the first 62 Pongs.

Bushnell's character is such that he has to take all the credit for everything even though none of this would have happend without Steve Bristow, Al Alcorn and me. It's very sad that money and fame run his life. He was a fun guy to be with before he had these things.

The Skype interview was a real hoot. Being able to see and talk to someone on my computer was a very new experiance for me.

Edited by lapetino

Ted's skype interview with me at the Midwest Gaming Classic is up now at 8bitdomain -

http://www.8bitclassics.com/Community/Gaming-Events/Midwest-Gaming-Classic/General/167-Interview-w-Ted-Dabney-at-Midwest-Gaming-Classic-2011.html

Apologies for the "Michael Katz calling" popups. We had run overtime because of a break when we lost the connection with Ted, and Michael unaware of this kept trying to start his chat session. I finally had to quick call Michael to let him know while Ted was talking to the audience.

• Like 1

If anyone transcribes that interview, please post it up here also. No offense, but I can't listen to that. I admit it is a little better than the Baer one (that I completely gave up on). I understand and assume that you did your best, but I'd sure like to read a transcription.