IGNORED

My Atlantis 2 Cart, My Story

Scrabbler15

Any chance Sir Scrabbler would feel like autographing Centy carts? Just' puttin that out there in case someone else was thinking it but didn't want to say. It'd be really cool to get multiples too, like the current TG holder, Scrabbler, and maybe a designer or something...

Also, I do have a song about centipede... http://dicknixonarisen.bandcamp.com (it's part of the atari album and called 'dead friends')

I don't mind signing anything, if it comes up. I would have to get over my aversion to writing on a cart, though. I've never written anything on a cart, ever. Couldn't bring myself to do it. If I were someone else and I wanted me to sign my cart, I would have a long discussion with myself about whether I really wanted me to do that. I could probably convince myself, being the reasonable guy that I am, but it would be an interesting conversation. This is starting to sound like I'm talking to myself about talking to myself.

The song is very cool. I'm a song writer, too, but my music and my Atari never intersected. Thanks for sharing.

I scored 5.64 seconds today, a couple of times, and that is basically the wall I hit back in the 80's.

Why didn't I just stay away from it? I guess I just can't help myself.

It's such a joyous exercise in futility.

A little late on my reply, but I just saw your video and it was really interesting. Great story, thanks for sharing.

Dragster was one of my favorites as a kid, but I was never able to get below 6 seconds. I made a hack of Dragster back in 2004 that replaced the dragsters with the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard, and then added a code change from Thomas Jentzsch that allowed you to shift automatically. I was finally redeemed and scored a 5.44. :) The orignal thread is here if you'd like to take a look: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/46292-dragrace-hack-revisited-auto-shift/page__hl__dragster%20auto%20shift__st__25.

Steve

I scored 5.64 seconds today, a couple of times, and that is basically the wall I hit back in the 80's.

A little late on my reply, but I just saw your video and it was really interesting. Great story, thanks for sharing.

Dragster was one of my favorites as a kid, but I was never able to get below 6 seconds. I made a hack of Dragster back in 2004 that replaced the dragsters with the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard, and then added a code change from Thomas Jentzsch that allowed you to shift automatically. I was finally redeemed and scored a 5.44. :) The orignal thread is here if you'd like to take a look: http://www.atariage....20shift__st__25.

Steve

Wow, that's really interesting. I think the discussion in your thread might help my time. Thanks for that.

In the non-hacked version I have to get off the gas at the very end. Since your hack means never letting off the gas in 4th gear, that is probably where the other 2 tenths of a second comes from. It might mean I'm staying off the gas a fraction of a second too long at the end of the race.

I don't know if you programmed the horn, but I had to laugh thinking about the car flying down the track, the engine revving through the gears, and the Dixie horn celebrating a sub 6 time.

I had a 5.61 this past week.

post-26187-127584047469_thumb.jpg

Dragster was one of my favorites as a kid, but I was never able to get below 6 seconds. I made a hack of Dragster back in 2004 that replaced the dragsters with the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard, and then added a code change from Thomas Jentzsch that allowed you to shift automatically. I was finally redeemed and scored a 5.44. :) The orignal thread is here if you'd like to take a look: http://www.atariage....20shift__st__25.

Steve

Wow, that's really interesting. I think the discussion in your thread might help my time. Thanks for that.

In the non-hacked version I have to get off the gas at the very end. Since your hack means never letting off the gas in 4th gear, that is probably where the other 2 tenths of a second comes from. It might mean I'm staying off the gas a fraction of a second too long at the end of the race.

I don't know if you programmed the horn, but I had to laugh thinking about the car flying down the track, the engine revving through the gears, and the Dixie horn celebrating a sub 6 time.

Nope, I didn't add the dixie horn into the hack, but that's a really good idea. :) I'm impressed with the 5.61, after all these years you're still a master of the game. I'm going to have to play the original again with the hints you posted earlier in this thread and see if I can finally break the 6.0 second barrier. I also made an original game several years ago called "Drag Race" based on Dragster, the gameplay is very similar. You can find a copy of it on my website, bjars.com. Check it out if you have some time, you may like it too. ;)

Steve

EDIT: I hadn't played Drag Race in a long time, so I downloaded it myself and played a few rounds. My first run was 4.47 seconds. I've attached it below if you want to try it out.

DragRace.bin

Any chance Sir Scrabbler would feel like autographing Centy carts? Just' puttin that out there in case someone else was thinking it but didn't want to say. It'd be really cool to get multiples too, like the current TG holder, Scrabbler, and maybe a designer or something...

Also, I do have a song about centipede... http://dicknixonarisen.bandcamp.com (it's part of the atari album and called 'dead friends')

I don't mind signing anything, if it comes up. I would have to get over my aversion to writing on a cart, though. I've never written anything on a cart, ever. Couldn't bring myself to do it. If I were someone else and I wanted me to sign my cart, I would have a long discussion with myself about whether I really wanted me to do that. I could probably convince myself, being the reasonable guy that I am, but it would be an interesting conversation. This is starting to sound like I'm talking to myself about talking to myself.

The song is very cool. I'm a song writer, too, but my music and my Atari never intersected. Thanks for sharing.

hah - a real collector. I feel what you're saying, I take care of my extra combat carts and all. If it was anything other than a common, I wouldn't do it either.

Do you have any of your music published or available online?

hah - a real collector. I feel what you're saying, I take care of my extra combat carts and all. If it was anything other than a common, I wouldn't do it either.

Do you have any of your music published or available online?

No, nothing published.

I've got the equipment here at the house to record my songs for all posterity , but I keep putting it off. It may be all these new old games I have, again, distracting me. But I do want to get working on it soon.

Steve

Nope, I didn't add the dixie horn into the hack, but that's a really good idea. :) I'm impressed with the 5.61, after all these years you're still a master of the game. I'm going to have to play the original again with the hints you posted earlier in this thread and see if I can finally break the 6.0 second barrier. I also made an original game several years ago called "Drag Race" based on Dragster, the gameplay is very similar. You can find a copy of it on my website, bjars.com. Check it out if you have some time, you may like it too. ;)

Steve

EDIT: I hadn't played Drag Race in a long time, so I downloaded it myself and played a few rounds. My first run was 4.47 seconds. I've attached it below if you want to try it out.

I'm just starting to figure out this whole emulator thing. Two months ago, I didn't even know Atari emulators existed.

The point is, I just got to try your Drag Race game, today. I liked it. I had fun. Thanks for sharing.

what about signing on a box ... would you do that? ;)

:ponder: Hmm, also pushing the envelope. :)

Embrace it man, you have to start facing the fact that you are geek royalty :-) (and I am being serious). Are you going to the classic gaming expo?

Not this year. I'd love to get to a show like that, though. All the designers and gamers and games and the smell of '80s geekiness filling the room. Wow. For me, it still exists just in my imagination. That is, until I get to one.

• 2 weeks later...

what about signing on a box ... would you do that? icon_wink.gif

How about my Joystick Thumb? icon_mrgreen.gif

Yeah, that would work out better. You could make a print of it. icon_mrgreen.gif

Damn, wish you were going to CGE. icon_sad.gif The whole gang is going to be there.

CPU wiz also?

The Wiz wll be there. icon_wink.gif

When and where is CGE this year. Maybe I could find a way to show up.

what about signing on a box ... would you do that? icon_wink.gif

How about my Joystick Thumb? icon_mrgreen.gif

Yeah, that would work out better. You could make a print of it. icon_mrgreen.gif

Damn, wish you were going to CGE. icon_sad.gif The whole gang is going to be there.

CPU wiz also?

The Wiz wll be there. icon_wink.gif

When and where is CGE this year. Maybe I could find a way to show up.

Jul 31 - Aug 1 in Las Vegas.

I'll be at a family reunion that Saturday, but it sounds like it's also gonna be a family reunion, of sorts, at CGE.

This is the first time I have come across your story. Great story it is! Unfortunately I was only eight in 1983 and my parents would probably have had a big issue with me leaving cross country or internationally...not to mention I wasn't very good with high scoring in those days ;) It is however great to hear the story from someone who experienced it and was good enough to win as much as you did. Thanks for this very rare historical information!

This is the first time I have come across your story. Great story it is! Unfortunately I was only eight in 1983 and my parents would probably have had a big issue with me leaving cross country or internationally...not to mention I wasn't very good with high scoring in those days ;) It is however great to hear the story from someone who experienced it and was good enough to win as much as you did. Thanks for this very rare historical information!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you happened by.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a (former?) competitive player, what do you think it takes to "make it"? Obviously you had something that others didn't. Or, in other words, why am I still not good at street fighter?

This is what I think:

There has to be a love of competition. I've told my kids whether you win or lose, the opportunity to compete is its own reward.

It takes a somewhat compulsive personality. There is no other way to explain playing Dragster for 5 or 6 hours in a row, because you scored 5.74 seconds and you know that maybe the next one is the one that's going to be 5.71.

First, you learn how to play a game. Then you play what you know (and play and play) until you accidentally happen onto a technique that lets you play better. Then you play what you know (and play and play) and you find something else that you can add to what you know. Rinse and repeat.

There is more to this answer and I didn't realize it until this week. I started thinking about this, again, because my 10 year old and I are planning on going to King of Prussia this weekend to play in the big Wii tourney that's going on.

I noticed that there is this, almost continual, thought process going on in my mind. We're just going to have some fun, but I can't help my competitive bones from taking over. I have all these what-if questions racing through my brain. (e.g. When can I work on bowling...What can I do to hit the pocket more consistently?...Should I be aggressive?... What can I do to avoid open frames...Splits will kill a good score...What if I move the Mii to the center dot..What if I throw from the edge of the alley...Don't think there is enough pin action...If I get a strike should I watch the replay?) And that's just bowling.

There are so many factors to consider about game strategy, team strategy, venue, logistics, research, practicing, work, family time, and on and on. Then, after dealing with all the issues, Mario could still drive his cart off a cliff, taking with him any chance of winning. And if that happens, you still have to be okay with yourself and know that life goes on.

• Like 1

As a (former?) competitive player, what do you think it takes to "make it"? Obviously you had something that others didn't. Or, in other words, why am I still not good at street fighter?

This is what I think:

There has to be a love of competition. I've told my kids whether you win or lose, the opportunity to compete is its own reward.

It takes a somewhat compulsive personality. There is no other way to explain playing Dragster for 5 or 6 hours in a row, because you scored 5.74 seconds and you know that maybe the next one is the one that's going to be 5.71.

First, you learn how to play a game. Then you play what you know (and play and play) until you accidentally happen onto a technique that lets you play better. Then you play what you know (and play and play) and you find something else that you can add to what you know. Rinse and repeat.

There is more to this answer and I didn't realize it until this week. I started thinking about this, again, because my 10 year old and I are planning on going to King of Prussia this weekend to play in the big Wii tourney that's going on.

I noticed that there is this, almost continual, thought process going on in my mind. We're just going to have some fun, but I can't help my competitive bones from taking over. I have all these what-if questions racing through my brain. (e.g. When can I work on bowling...What can I do to hit the pocket more consistently?...Should I be aggressive?... What can I do to avoid open frames...Splits will kill a good score...What if I move the Mii to the center dot..What if I throw from the edge of the alley...Don't think there is enough pin action...If I get a strike should I watch the replay?) And that's just bowling.

There are so many factors to consider about game strategy, team strategy, venue, logistics, research, practicing, work, family time, and on and on. Then, after dealing with all the issues, Mario could still drive his cart off a cliff, taking with him any chance of winning. And if that happens, you still have to be okay with yourself and know that life goes on.

So the Champ is coming out of retirement for a Wii tournament! NICE! Let us know how you do :)

This is what I think:

So the Champ is coming out of retirement for a Wii tournament! NICE! Let us know how you do :)

Well, as of about 60 seconds ago, my son and I are leading the parent/child division of Mall Group #1. Our team is 'Scrabbler Posse'. Still a long way to go until 6:00 pm tomorrow.

• Like 2