IGNORED

My Atlantis 2 Cart, My Story

Scrabbler15

Not only a version he'd never played, but also a version with those 5200 sticks...

that's my go-to campfire scary story now.

And then he saw them, silhouetted against the rising moon... NON-AUTO-CENTERING-ANALOG-JOYSTICKS!

LOL! Yes, they were they joysticks that stalked the night.

Not only a version he'd never played, but also a version with those 5200 sticks...

that's my go-to campfire scary story now.

And then he saw them, silhouetted against the rising moon... NON-AUTO-CENTERING-ANALOG-JOYSTICKS!

LOL! Yes, they were they joysticks that stalked the night.

Even talking about them now makes me so that I can't type (they were THE joysticks...).

Perfect pitfall? that I have a chance at, i've come close. I am writing a choose-your-own based on pitfall right now. hah. There's a nice graphic map that AJ made on this link http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161066-just-completed-pitfall-ii-for-the-first-time/page__st__25

Thanks for the response!

Whoa, hold on! I didn't make that map, never said I did. It was made by AA member Pitfall Harry (Ben Valdes -- it says so right at the bottom), as part of a contest he ran several years ago (there are some clues for that contest hidden in the image).

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Perfect pitfall? that I have a chance at, i've come close. I am writing a choose-your-own based on pitfall right now. hah. There's a nice graphic map that AJ made on this link http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161066-just-completed-pitfall-ii-for-the-first-time/page__st__25

Thanks for the response!

Whoa, hold on! I didn't make that map, never said I did. It was made by AA member Pitfall Harry (Ben Valdes -- it says so right at the bottom), as part of a contest he ran several years ago (there are some clues for that contest hidden in the image).

oops, beg pardon good sir

Does anyone remember anything about a contest on Activision Decathalon back in the 80's?

I won an Activision joystick as a second or third prize in the contest. I think there was a top cash prize of like $5,000 or something. I remember taking lots of pictures of Decathalon scores, but I don't really remember a whole lot about the contest.

Today is the first time I've thought about this contest in years. Just wondering if anyone has any information that can clear my brain fog.

Does anyone remember anything about a contest on Activision Decathalon back in the 80's?

I won an Activision joystick as a second or third prize in the contest. I think there was a top cash prize of like $5,000 or something. I remember taking lots of pictures of Decathalon scores, but I don't really remember a whole lot about the contest.

Today is the first time I've thought about this contest in years. Just wondering if anyone has any information that can clear my brain fog.

So I was thinking about this Decathalon contest, again, today. Now I'm thinking that the contest was played on Activision's game, but that it was actually sponsored by a different company promoting that company's joystick. I don't remember the company. Duh.

The fog thickens. Oh well.

I won an Activision joystick as a second or third prize in the contest.

That's an appropriate prize. I can see someone needing a new joystick after playing a lot of Decathlon.

Middle of April, I had to go out and get a working 2600 to test my A2 cart. (My 2600 stopped working 10 or 15 years ago.)

Now that I have a console, again, Activision Dragster is pulling me in.

I don't understand why it's so much fun. The game is akin to that guy in one of the Karate Kid movies, who has a log in his yard that he keeps hitting with hand, even though he is never going to break it.

I scored 5.64 seconds today, a couple of times, and that is basically the wall I hit back in the 80's.

Why didn't I just stay away from it? I guess I just can't help myself.

It's such a joyous exercise in futility.

I don't understand why it's so much fun. The game is akin to that guy in one of the Karate Kid movies, who has a log in his yard that he keeps hitting with hand, even though he is never going to break it.

Hitting that "log" is actually a Wing Chun style martial art exercise for strength and hardening of the muscles\bones ;)

wing-chun-wooden-dummy-lg.jpg

Hitting that "log" is actually a Wing Chun style martial art exercise for strength and hardening of the muscles\bones ;)

wing-chun-wooden-dummy-lg.jpg

Didn't know that. Interesting. Thanks.

Do you think it would help my Dragster game?

• Like 1

It might, actually...

Jackie Chan uses that thing all the time. Hasn't he broken like all of his bones or something like that?

So what are your dragster tips, sir Scrabbler?

When it goes right, it's something like this:

Hold the clutch in (joystick left) during the countdown. With one second left, press the gas button.

At zero, let out the clutch. If it's timed right, the tach will be at the beginning of the redline once the car is in gear.

Keep the button pressed for the entire race, except for the very end.

When the clutch is let out at zero, try to shift twice (bang-bang) so that the car is in second gear as soon as the race starts.

As soon as the tach starts moving up in second gear, shift to third. As soon as the tach starts moving up, again, shift to fourth gear.

The tach is probably below the redline at that point. Bump the clutch in very short bursts. The tach will move up with each bump, and, for the most part, it will stay where it is bumped to. Do this until the tach is in the middle of the red. If the clutch bumps are not quick enough, the engine will probably blow.

Once in fourth gear in the tach red, hold down the gas until the highest pitch of the engine is heard. Then let off the gas to drop the engine pitch down a notch. Once the pitch goes down, get right back on the gas. Without this gas on/off/on, the engine will blow.

Each shift/clutch bump should only make one sound/beep/note/whatever-it-is. If there is lots of sound when shifting, the clutch is in for too long.

That's how I do it, but like I said, I'm at the 5.64 wall. I'm still looking for a way to shave that other .13 seconds off the time to tie the record. Haven't found it, yet, though.

I think that was more how-to-manual than it was dragster tips.

In any event, thanks for asking. It was very therapeutic to get that out. I might sleep better now.

• Like 3

Hello, nice to meet you. Very Very cool story, Same thoughts as everyone else here, very impressed by your gaming history. I am only in my 30's now and was too young/inexperienced to compete at the time but I have fond memories of my older cousin "training" for video game events, mostly arcade but I do remember him writing out the Pitfall maps, etc.. Me and my Dad did manage to get quite a few Activision patches, wish I had kept them, all but one of them were sewed on the back of a jean jacket that has long been donated to Goodwill. I would highly recommend speaking at classic gaming shows if they ever have any in your area, the video on Youtube would make a great live speech and hey, nothing like having a bunch of us Atari guys showing up to hear what you have to say right? Anyways, I hope you stick around and play with us, your history with gaming has some of the coolest stories I have ever heard. I wish you luck with the Atlantis 2 auction, I totally agree to leave the shirt and game together, Wonder can always buy them both and re sell the game if he wants the shirt :D See you around!

Yes it would! A man of your size and muscle structure would gain alot of speed and acuracy from this sort of training over a long peroid of time.

Yes it would! A man of your size and muscle structure would gain alot of speed and acuracy from this sort of training over a long peroid of time.

Correct, I can vouch for this method. Every night I punch myself in the nuts 20 times and over the years my speed and accuracy has sky rocketed in that area....okay I'll stop now ;) :D

Hello, nice to meet you. Very Very cool story, Same thoughts as everyone else here, very impressed by your gaming history. I am only in my 30's now and was too young/inexperienced to compete at the time but I have fond memories of my older cousin "training" for video game events, mostly arcade but I do remember him writing out the Pitfall maps, etc.. Me and my Dad did manage to get quite a few Activision patches, wish I had kept them, all but one of them were sewed on the back of a jean jacket that has long been donated to Goodwill. I would highly recommend speaking at classic gaming shows if they ever have any in your area, the video on Youtube would make a great live speech and hey, nothing like having a bunch of us Atari guys showing up to hear what you have to say right? Anyways, I hope you stick around and play with us, your history with gaming has some of the coolest stories I have ever heard. I wish you luck with the Atlantis 2 auction, I totally agree to leave the shirt and game together, Wonder can always buy them both and re sell the game if he wants the shirt :D See you around!

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, you can be sure I'll be sticking around. It was a long time of being away, but it's good to be home, again, in land of Atari.

Each shift/clutch bump should only make one sound/beep/note/whatever-it-is. If there is lots of sound when shifting, the clutch is in for too long.

This sound tip only applies to fourth gear (I noticed while playing today). Shifting through the lower gears is noisier, but the shift still has to be quick.

Hey everybody (again).

Thanks for all the welcoming messages. I appreciate it. It feels really good to be back.

I may even come out of Dragster retirement.

I'm gonna do my best to answer all of the questions as soon as I can, so hang in there.

I can hook you up with Todd Rogers if you want to go against the current world record holder :)

Hey everybody (again).

Thanks for all the welcoming messages. I appreciate it. It feels really good to be back.

I may even come out of Dragster retirement.

I'm gonna do my best to answer all of the questions as soon as I can, so hang in there.

I can hook you up with Todd Rogers if you want to go against the current world record holder :)

Cool. Maybe, eventually. I can take a video game beat down same as the next guy.

I read somewhere that he was considering getting a 5.51 run on video. Now that would be awesome. Even if I couldn't match it, at least I could see what my game is missing.

Correct, I can vouch for this method. Every night I punch myself in the nuts 20 times and over the years my speed and accuracy has sky rocketed in that area....okay I'll stop now ;) :D

Nut shots create a stronger fortitude not so much speed and accuracy but whatever works for ya! ...lmfao.. :lol:

I may be late to the party but welcome to AA!

I watched your video and it was indeed a really cool story! If you have any pictures from your trips I'd love for you to post some if possible. I love hearing about stories from yesteryear and our classic hobby! :)

Thanks for the welcome.

I'll add your suggestion to my long things-to-do list.

Here's another story I haven't mentioned anything about, yet, just for you. ;)

One of the prizes I got for the U.S. Centipede Championship was a coin-op Millipede game. I get a call from this truck driver and the conversation went something like "Hey, I'm suppose to deliver this to you, but I can't get to your house." We lived up on the side of a hill next to a dirt road and he's got this semi parked mostly in one lane of our two lane road at the bottom of the hill in our one red-light town. He says " You gotta come down here and get this. I'm not even suppose to have this truck on these little roads." Well, I didn't have any way to get it up the hill. So, I saw that one of my neighbors (that I didn't know) had a pickup. My request had to be something you don't hear everyday. "Yeah, I got this arcade machine at the bottom of the hill. Could we use your truck to get it up here?" There were two of them that agreed to help. We got Millipede loaded on their truck and got it to the house. They also helped carry it into the house. Once I got it set up, I played the ceremonial first game. Then I let the two guys play it as a "thank you" for the use of their truck.

• Like 3