IGNORED

My Atlantis 2 Cart, My Story

Scrabbler15

As a (former?) competitive player, what do you think it takes to "make it"? Obviously you had something that others didn't. Or, in other words, why am I still not good at street fighter?

This is what I think:

There has to be a love of competition. I've told my kids whether you win or lose, the opportunity to compete is its own reward.

It takes a somewhat compulsive personality. There is no other way to explain playing Dragster for 5 or 6 hours in a row, because you scored 5.74 seconds and you know that maybe the next one is the one that's going to be 5.71.

First, you learn how to play a game. Then you play what you know (and play and play) until you accidentally happen onto a technique that lets you play better. Then you play what you know (and play and play) and you find something else that you can add to what you know. Rinse and repeat.

There is more to this answer and I didn't realize it until this week. I started thinking about this, again, because my 10 year old and I are planning on going to King of Prussia this weekend to play in the big Wii tourney that's going on.

I noticed that there is this, almost continual, thought process going on in my mind. We're just going to have some fun, but I can't help my competitive bones from taking over. I have all these what-if questions racing through my brain. (e.g. When can I work on bowling...What can I do to hit the pocket more consistently?...Should I be aggressive?... What can I do to avoid open frames...Splits will kill a good score...What if I move the Mii to the center dot..What if I throw from the edge of the alley...Don't think there is enough pin action...If I get a strike should I watch the replay?) And that's just bowling.

There are so many factors to consider about game strategy, team strategy, venue, logistics, research, practicing, work, family time, and on and on. Then, after dealing with all the issues, Mario could still drive his cart off a cliff, taking with him any chance of winning. And if that happens, you still have to be okay with yourself and know that life goes on.

So the Champ is coming out of retirement for a Wii tournament! NICE! Let us know how you do :)

Well, as of about 60 seconds ago, my son and I are leading the parent/child division of Mall Group #1. Our team is 'Scrabbler Posse'. Still a long way to go until 6:00 pm tomorrow.

Lets go Scrabbler Posse! If you make some T-shirts I will wear one!

As a (former?) competitive player, what do you think it takes to "make it"? Obviously you had something that others didn't. Or, in other words, why am I still not good at street fighter?

This is what I think:

There has to be a love of competition. I've told my kids whether you win or lose, the opportunity to compete is its own reward.

It takes a somewhat compulsive personality. There is no other way to explain playing Dragster for 5 or 6 hours in a row, because you scored 5.74 seconds and you know that maybe the next one is the one that's going to be 5.71.

First, you learn how to play a game. Then you play what you know (and play and play) until you accidentally happen onto a technique that lets you play better. Then you play what you know (and play and play) and you find something else that you can add to what you know. Rinse and repeat.

There is more to this answer and I didn't realize it until this week. I started thinking about this, again, because my 10 year old and I are planning on going to King of Prussia this weekend to play in the big Wii tourney that's going on.

I noticed that there is this, almost continual, thought process going on in my mind. We're just going to have some fun, but I can't help my competitive bones from taking over. I have all these what-if questions racing through my brain. (e.g. When can I work on bowling...What can I do to hit the pocket more consistently?...Should I be aggressive?... What can I do to avoid open frames...Splits will kill a good score...What if I move the Mii to the center dot..What if I throw from the edge of the alley...Don't think there is enough pin action...If I get a strike should I watch the replay?) And that's just bowling.

There are so many factors to consider about game strategy, team strategy, venue, logistics, research, practicing, work, family time, and on and on. Then, after dealing with all the issues, Mario could still drive his cart off a cliff, taking with him any chance of winning. And if that happens, you still have to be okay with yourself and know that life goes on.

So the Champ is coming out of retirement for a Wii tournament! NICE! Let us know how you do :)

Well, as of about 60 seconds ago, my son and I are leading the parent/child division of Mall Group #1. Our team is 'Scrabbler Posse'. Still a long way to go until 6:00 pm tomorrow.

Lets go Scrabbler Posse! If you make some T-shirts I will wear one!

We finished 4th out of 295 in our division. We also posted the best King of Prussia score in our division. Not bad for a green rookie and an aging veteran.

post-26187-128019488823_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I will be auctioning the jackets that were given to the medal winners of the 1983 word Centipede championships, seen worn by Centipede world champ Andrew Brzezinski (from the U.K) on the cover VSC owners bulletin Winter 1983.

The red shirts were worn by all contestants, i've not seen another contestants wearing the Silver jacket only the 1983 world Centipede champ. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214890-atari-competition-jacket-1983-brand-new-value/

The jackets we're commissioned by Porter + Pocock Associates (the jackets are actually labelled Porter + Pocock Associates; a London based PR company that made the jackets in ltd numbers for UK competitors.

Only 2 U.K competitors were in the worldwide Centipede finals in Munich in 1983. I know of only 2 other examples of the jacket to exist in the world which were found 3 years ago when the PR company had an office move. I have only one and there will be only one sold (highlander).

The only picture I can find of the jacket is the 1983 VCS owners Bulletin http://www.atarimani...etin-27_41.html

If anyone has this jacket in their collection in the USA please let me know. I think its unluckily.

Its possible that the jackets were only given to medal winners which would make it very rare indeed.

Edited by thechallengeofnexar