IGNORED

Superfly DX

CyranoJ

Is there a youtube vidoe of this game yet? :)

TBH it'd look quite poor compared to the real deal. I suggest that if you want the full experience (2d games look quite crap if shown at lower fps than 50 or 60), you watch it on a real machine (bjl, flashcart or skunkboard), or at worst, try it on project tempest on 60hz (or 50 if your monitor can handle it :))

Just got the results from Outline 2010, and I'm pleased to say .....

We won!

Video and other media clips will be uploaded when the guys return from the party!

Congratulations!

I wasn't long enough at Outline to see the voting results, but my vote must have been the decisive factor :D

Thanks for the great game. :thumbsup:

And it was great to meet SH3 & GGN in person. Maybe next time I will stay longer. But then I have to sleep in the hardcore snoring room :P

Robert

Edited by rdemming
  • Like 2

Back from Outline today, was immense fun as usual. Met some cool people for the first time and got to explain a little of the Jaguar & how they could get into making stuff. Was fun to see the guys who queued up for a time to play SuperFly late on Saturday evening... some excellent face-to-face feedback & a few things we need to look at before making a final version, but most of all a lot of people saying "one more go!".

There are a few issues with the version CJ released last week. The main problem in that version is that three unlock codes given are broken (oops!). We've been emailing people who have asked for the correct codes but a new version with these fixes, a few more issues resolved & a couple of additional small features is on the cards. Doing a release like this shows us that this is the best way to get our stuff out there - there's no better testing team than Jaguar fans - and lots of them, so thanks for playing & for the feedback. It'll delay things a tiny bit, but we'll end up with a better game for it, so I hope that's OK with everyone.

Having watched the YouTube video I've realised the style of game. I have Simon Querhorst's Atari 2600 game 'I Project' and this is very similar in gameplay type except it's an above viewpoint. Here's a link: http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/ip.html

Can't wait to play this on Jaguar.

Hello Lee, yea, good thinking to make that comparison but I think it differs a fair bit to that in actual gameplay terms (at least after just watching a video), but I can see why you made the connection. With SFDX you need just one button to control the game (I think I Project has full controls or at least more than 1 button). Press fire & the player sprite rises, release & gravity pulls it towards the bottom of the screen. Very simple stuff to begin with, making the game easy for anyone to get into... it soon gets trickier though. Just for those who don't know, SuperFly DX is a remake of my ST group's 2002 game 'SuperFly', which was in turn inspired by South Coast Diaries' excellent Copter (which earlier that year had become a bit of an addiction in the irc channel #atariscne - urging coder MrPink & good friend Havoc/LineOut to begin development). Our game was also the inspiration for an atari 8-bit 1k game 'Super Fly' (although I've never seen it running, just a single screen shot) & a forthcoming bigger/proper version for an 8-bit machine (again, details are sparse, I believe they intend to use the 'Super Fly' name and I have seen a screen shot from the coder). I also met a coder & teacher at OL who used to love playing SuperFly so much that he began writing a version that played a lot slower and was actually designed as a teaching-aid - a question is posed & the young student can navigate to the correct multiple-choice answer using the same gameplay - genius! OK, I'm rambling on, but I've become a bit of a 1-button-game geek recently, trying things out and reading up on the possibilities of a 1-button interface is quite eye-opening - I'd love to work on something else like this at some point in future.

And this is the original superfly. Just a comparison ;)

Cheers, Christos... it seems you were the one who taught GGN to fly? :P (soooory!)

Is there a youtube vidoe of this game yet? :)

I'll make some videos of the different aspects of the game this week & add them, while it won't give a true impression of it running on real hardware, it should be better than a camera pointed at a beamer screen in a fairly bright room with a half-drunk northerner mumbling over it ;)

I wasn't long enough at Outline to see the voting results, but my vote must have been the decisive factor :D

Thanks for the great game. :thumbsup:

And it was great to meet SH3 & GGN in person. Maybe next time I will stay longer. But then I have to sleep in the hardcore snoring room :P

Robert

Thanks for making the trip, Robert, had some really nice chats with you about all things Atari and more! :) A quick check said we got the 5th highest voted prod of all entries to all compos, for a game at a demo party that's not too common... thanks for voting! Seeing a little of your past Atari stuff was also a nice surprise - did you see Grazey's eyes light up? :) Next time you will have to talk shop with Calsoft as well, he works on similar interesting projects as yourself but was busy working on next year's game at this party & I'm not sure any of us introduced you to him properly.

PLEASE let me know when I can buy that nice boxed edition :-) and put me down for one :-)

You'll read it here first. I got some nice feedback about the box I took with me, quite pleased with it.

Eek, sorry for the long post, needed to catch up...

sh3-rg

And this is the original superfly. Just a comparison ;)

Cheers, Christos... it seems you were the one who taught GGN to fly? :P (soooory!)

No problem mate. On the other hand neither GGN or I forced MrPink to code all those anti cheat mechanisms...

Thanks for making the trip, Robert, had some really nice chats with you about all things Atari and more! :) A quick check said we got the 5th highest voted prod of all entries to all compos, for a game at a demo party that's not too common... thanks for voting! Seeing a little of your past Atari stuff was also a nice surprise - did you see Grazey's eyes light up? :) Next time you will have to talk shop with Calsoft as well, he works on similar interesting projects as yourself but was busy working on next year's game at this party & I'm not sure any of us introduced you to him properly.

Ha, ha, yes I saw Grazey becoming like a paparazzi, "secretly" taking pictures of the Dingoo's screen with his mobile phone :D

I don't think I met Calsoft. Or it must have been the nice French guy where I had a very interesting talk with about the elegance of Acorn Archimedes ARM code. He showed me some nice old Acorn Archimedes physics simulation demos.

I'm sure the game with c*nt in its name was no thread to SuperFly? Was it really that "offensive" that it had to be shown after dark? :P

Robert

Hiya Robert :)

Ha, ha, yes I saw Grazey becoming like a paparazzi, "secretly" taking pictures of the Dingoo's screen with his mobile phone :D

I don't think I met Calsoft. Or it must have been the nice French guy where I had a very interesting talk with about the elegance of Acorn Archimedes ARM code. He showed me some nice old Acorn Archimedes physics simulation demos.

Nah, that was Baah of Arm's Tech

I'm sure the game with c*nt in its name was no thread to SuperFly? Was it really that "offensive" that it had to be shown after dark? :P

Robert

Actually it wasn't shown at all. IIRC that game was released 10+ years back, maybe that explains it! Also, it's a game from the sick Dutch f**ks brigade, and they are entitled to do whatever they want in their party ;)

Anyway, it was a real pleasure meeting you and I hope we speak again soon :)

Edited by ggn

Sorry to post twice on a row, but I'd like to announce that the highscore pages are up! So you can now submit your webcodes there and compete with the whole planet :)

When I get round to it I'll also add savecode support, so you can all compete on longest total distances and stars!

Anyway, head over to http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/reboot/web/superflydx/highscores.html and post some codes :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on winning! Maybe I should do a 7800 version? I don't think I could do 11 layers of parallax though. Hmmmmmm... :ponder: Maybe more ;) :lolblue: j/k!

Cheers, GB! If you want a 7800 version I say go for it, 7800 fans would really enjoy it I think & I'm always happy to provide you with gfx as you know... I'll send a PM :D

a forthcoming bigger/proper version for an 8-bit machine (again, details are sparse, I believe they intend to use the 'Super Fly' name and I have seen a screen shot from the coder).

The reason that details are sparse is because the project is at a very early stage of development and progress is very slow due to lack of motivation. I am working on it nearly on my own. There is only a good friend of mine who tries to convert the game to C64. Unfortunately we meet very seldom so there is noone who gives additional input, critic etc.

There is already code for sound playback, horizontal scrolling and vertical movement of the player in 50fps during vertical blank, character set redefinition and a display list but everything needs to be linked together and A LOT of code, graphics and music is still missing.

I hoped to progress a little bit more during the weekend but although CJ was so kind to give me the rise/fall codesnippet for the main character I couldn't exactly find out how it works.

Apart from that a project like that needs some additional help from musicians, graphic artists and beta testers, if not coders. Any volunteers?

O.K. So here is the screenshot sh3-rg mentioned.

Regards,

patjomki

post-11064-127335472506_thumb.jpg

Edited by patjomki
  • Like 1

There is already code for sound playback, horizontal scrolling and vertical movement of the player in 50fps during vertical blank, character set redefinition and a display list but everything needs to be linked together and A LOT of code, graphics and music is still missing.

I hoped to progress a little bit more during the weekend but although CJ was so kind to give me the rise/fall codesnippet for the main character I couldn't exactly find out how it works.

PM sent.

sh3-rg^reboot

PM sent regarding how the table works :-)

MAY 08 2010 :: SuperFly DX Collector Edition & update

Regarding SFDX and the Reboot store.

SFDX is in fine-tuning & a 1.1 version will be released shortly with a list of additional features & fixes. We'll then wait for feedback & make sure it's all good to go before announcing the Collectors Edition availability. Sorry about the daly, but we want to be 100% certain that the game we burn to disc will be free from any remaining little bugs... the best way to do this is to have everyone play it :)

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 5

I saw part of the Youtube video of the game, WOW! very very nice work there guys!, you three have done a most impressive job on this project. :thumbsup: I will load it up on my Jaguar soon to enjoy it. I'm so glad you guys didn't ditch the Jaguar and have kept on Rebooting us Jag hardcores. You guys are kickin' 'em out(Jag games) dudes and really living up to your name. :cool: :D

Thank You Very Much!! Cyrano, sh3, and gnn. ;)

• Like 2

GGN has been busy & has added a new feature to the SFDX webscores. If you enter your SAVE CODE instead of your WEBCODE, you can now enter your details into TOTAL DISTANCE & TOTAL STARS high score tables. *

As a little bonus, we're running a competition that will end on 23rd May 12:00 CET. Keep submitting both your regular WEBCODES and also SAVE GAME CODES & you are in with a chance of winning some goodies :) We're not saying exactly what the prizes are until the winners are announced. It's mostly just for fun, but serious Jag collectors might want to PRESS THE BUTTON as you never know what kind of one-off goodies there might be up for grabs :D

Have fun & thanks for the kind words everyone, 1.1 is almost ready & should be worth the wait - thanks for all the feedback - we listen & appreciate it all!

* Please keep your name the same each time you enter to avoid appearing multiple times :D

Actually, all your questions are answered by following the link in the very first post of this thread, where I expect you found the game for download. Or by just playing the game :D But I'll offer infos here...

O N E M A N . O N E M I S S I O N . O N E B U T T O N.

SuperFly DX is a horizontally scrolling action game with deceptively simple one-button control and rock-solid 60/50fps gameplay. Beneath the initial simplicity lies a challenge to test the skills of even the very best gamers.

What are the control keys? I found B makes you rise, any others?

Just press the button.

What is the object of the game? Is it to just collect stars?

If you are playing Hunter mode then yes, the object is to do just that & to survive as long as possible. So you seem to have managed to find this mode, good.

In freeflight the object is to survive as long as possible (someone recently completed a 2.5 hour(!) game & scored a distance of 450159)

In Story mode the object is to rescue your girlfriend by doing whatever the story asks of you. (You have to unlock this mode by playing the others, but you should have seen this listed but not selectable in the menu option 'game style' where you selected Hunter mode).

In 2-player mode the object is to survive longer than your opponent. (This mode also needs unlocking, requires two jagpads & preferably a friend, although it can be played by one person with a pad in each hand if you're stuck for those, but it's incredibly difficult).

Does it get harder, or vary at all?

Of course it gets harder, it'd be a poor show if it didn't: Each world is narrower than the last, has longer blockers than the last and longer islands than the last. The terrain becomes more difficult to navigate with more swoops to negotiate & often your vehicle or character will be wider or longer than the previous one (but not always, for instance world 4 has a couple of levels with a very small vehicle). The amount of collects also rises from world to world on Hunter-type levels.

There is also more variation by way of unlockable extras. I will not mention them here - the reason they are unlocks is for the player to have fun discovering them & trying them out.

Another way the game varies is that the level layouts I designed are only a trend - the general feel & look of the stage will be the same each time, but will deviate from this creating unique levels each time.

Is it possible to have more than one life?

You can attempt the tasks as many times as you like, there are no lives as that would be against the whole idea of the game - it's all about concentration, fast reflexes & judgment, focus & maybe a little slice of luck from time to time. Try & try & try again until you meet the requirements of that stage. Stages 1.1 & 1.2 are for learning/children/etc - they are very easy & a way to learn the game without getting frustrated.

I'm guessing a few people have just loaded it up, played the first couple of stages & not gone much further, not much point in that unless they are playing with their kids or going for insane records. Check the SFDX webscores, particularly the totals at the bottom, to see what kind someone would be up against if they chose to compete with the best SFers.