IGNORED

Discuss Atari History with Nolan Bushnell

Albert

It's been a while since NolanB logged in to AtariAge, but if Mr. Bushnell ever does come back, I now have a question for him. In light of the recent Google celebration of Pac-Man's 30th anniversary, I thought I should ask if the current Atari has any plans to celebrate the 30th anniversary of any of its 1980 classics. Yes, there is the Missile Command Flash game, but I meant more along the lines of new retail releases, like Taito did with the excellent Space Invaders Extreme for SI's 30th anniversary in 2008, or super-sized public displays like Google's thing (seems significantly less likely . . .). Centipede and Battlezone come to mind as good candidates. I'm personally a really big Pac-Man fan, but I'd hate for one game to blind the public to the other big 1980 games. It was a good year!

Of course, this question becomes quite obsolete if Mr. Bushnell doesn't log back in before the end of the year. :)

just to let you know I'm working on finishing up the transcript for the interview.

it's close to done.

taking a break now though

This before the end of the year would be good, too. :)

As an avid Atari and Neo-Geo fan, I've often wondered about the long-standing internet rumors that Atari and SNK were going to collaborate on a more cost-effective version of the AES. Are you aware of any such plans, or would you be able to contact anyone who might be?

I think this question would be better directed to Curt and Marty, since they have interviewed the Tramiels before.

onmode-ky

It's been a while since NolanB logged in to AtariAge, but if Mr. Bushnell ever does come back, I now have a question for him. In light of the recent Google celebration of Pac-Man's 30th anniversary, I thought I should ask if the current Atari has any plans to celebrate the 30th anniversary of any of its 1980 classics. Yes, there is the Missile Command Flash game, but I meant more along the lines of new retail releases, like Taito did with the excellent Space Invaders Extreme for SI's 30th anniversary in 2008, or super-sized public displays like Google's thing (seems significantly less likely . . .). Centipede and Battlezone come to mind as good candidates. I'm personally a really big Pac-Man fan, but I'd hate for one game to blind the public to the other big 1980 games. It was a good year!

Of course, this question becomes quite obsolete if Mr. Bushnell doesn't log back in before the end of the year. :)

just to let you know I'm working on finishing up the transcript for the interview.

it's close to done.

taking a break now though

This before the end of the year would be good, too. :)

onmode-ky

I'm working on it it should be done soon and it will be in CVGM #5 as well

Nolan is right now over seas hopefully we will have another a video chat soon.

Nolan, thank you for helping to make the world a better place through your ingenuity.

I've seen you photographed throughout the years smoking various pipes. As a fan of the Briar myself, I'm curious as to what models of pipe you prefer and what your favorite tobacco blends are.

Thank you Dan! :), for linking to & letting the interested atariage people here know about your interview with Nolan, in Windows Media Video format, that I have made and posted on JS2. I forgot to let people here know about it also. I should have just emailed it to you so you could post it on your site. :)

I hope everybody enjoys it!, I did! -Thanks Dan & Nolan. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G'day sir. It is truly a supreme honour to have the opportunity to speak with you on AtariAge. Many of us here are among your biggest fans.

You have said that you are very interested in new game mechanics (i.e. iPad, Wii controller etc..). I can only imagine what it has been like for you to vicariously watch the industry over the years up to this point now where companies are finally appearing to think outside the box once again. Given that you are a proven innovator in your field, would you care to elaborate on any ideas you may have about the future of video games in this regard?

Cant talk about things in too much detail but think about board games and then put an I pad in the middle of the table and everyone around the table has an Iphone that is connected to the iPad through bluetooth or Wifi. It becomes the universal board game videogame delivery platform.

Mr. Bushnell,

Love the vintage Atari stuff! I share it with my 5th grade students as part of a club I run and it still has a great appeal with the younger generation even today! So, I have a few questions!

Did you ever think the VCS and it's games would have such a lasting effect?

What was the secret to the high quality of these consoles and longevity?

Would you spearhead another project like the VCS for Atari if they went back into the console business?

Thanks! Looking forward to the answers!

-Wes

• 2 months later...

Mr Bushnell,

Aside from all of your accomplishments, business and patents, fortunes made and lost, creative direction and plunder - these are all great and have influenced me greatly in my childhood years to present, but I am much more interested in how you made things happen.

For example, it matters more to me that something get built instead of arguing about who's going to get rich from what idea. The idea won't happen unless someone makes it happen.

Another thing is cold empirical data vs idle speculation. For example, i'm sure people complained every which way about the Atari line of computers, yet you made Atari work when those critcs could never do anything more than be a critic.

Also, time management. Knowing when to quit on something or someone when they are a lost cause, to make time for many other viable personnel or strategies. Even more difficult is choosing whether to associate with those that can't manage their own time...

Professionalism & appearances - it's not what people think, its what they see. My motto is "If it won't help the situation - shut the hell up"

Mr Bushnell, if you have any pointers on:

* How to be a better "Man behind the curtain" - business is so much fluff. I know a guy who's business will soon be the de-facto standard of iSCSI attached storage for virtualization, and he literally runs the business out of his house!

* How to build up venture capital to make a project start - i pay for everything out of pocket now, but i have a few friends that are asset rich & cash poor. Personally i'd like to start in the black, i have a phobia of red ink.

* How to find or make employees who are 'smart enough' - i need guys that are capable to do the job, but not so arrogant as to try and wrestle control away from me. It's difficult trying to keep employees focused when they are 'behind the curtain' with you.

My advice to all that read this: If you're going to build a business, build one that works when the world is at it's worst. It's bad enough trying to make a buck when things are great, but when the chips are down make sure you're still the one with the most chips. Pharmaceutical corporations get it. Utility corporations get it. Gates and Jobs / Bushnell and Tramiel get it. It's never about the money - it's the game they get to play. And whoever has the most credits get to play the longest.

My plan is a free wireless broadband provider - i plan to create the largest free broadband wireless ISP in the world. I've turned down respectable 'Network Systems Architect' positions from Fox Media Interactive, Cisco's Ironport project, and even a prestigious position at Mountain View, CA. I'm poor, but a select few have made their resources available to me, and i devote every waking moment to making the best chance for success. I've already sacrificed tons to get the chance to do this - I mean the last 8 years of my life. And the old adage about "knowing a trade doesn't mean able to run a business" doesn't apply to me. I've failed at all kinds of stuff, but i always try. I learn from my mistakes and I always keep going, because someday I want to answer to guys on a forum where i've impacted their lives in such a positive way.

I'd be a failed musician or a boring lawyer if it weren't for you, Mr Bushnell.

Thank you for everything. Now how can I change the world?

- Bobby

I doubt he is reading this topic anymore, but I guess you never know...

Not only is he not reading this topic, when's the last time (and indeed, it is the LAST TIME) he logged on. Most of these "Atari people" care much less about "Atari" than the average user does. I can't say I blame them - they probably got a gutfull of it in full-intensity, back in the day, while we're just sideline speculators, trading in nostalgia.

But let's be serious, Bushnell is "so" outta here.

Not only is he not reading this topic, when's the last time (and indeed, it is the LAST TIME) he logged on. Most of these "Atari people" care much less about "Atari" than the average user does. I can't say I blame them - they probably got a gutfull of it in full-intensity, back in the day, while we're just sideline speculators, trading in nostalgia.

I don't know about the "Atari people" thing....Ted Dabney logs on every now and again.

I don't know about the "Atari people" thing....Ted Dabney logs on every now and again.

Well, the "Atari People" thing was a generalization, obviously. Ted Dabney is an exception, obviously. Good for Ted - I like him, although I don't know him - from what I've seen of him here, and his enthusiasm and freindly/humble demeanor.

Now back to the "Atari People" thing - so other than the aforementioned Dabney, can you name anybody else from Atari who's here? Any of the other big names, all throughout Atari's history? Engineers? P.R. people? Managers? Marketing? Evidently, they must not have warm/fuzzy nostaliga for Atari like many of the fans do. For many of them, it was "just a job" and there was nothing "magic" about it like there is for many fans, hence WE are here. You take issue with this observation? Explain!

Well, the "Atari People" thing was a generalization, obviously. Ted Dabney is an exception, obviously. Good for Ted - I like him, although I don't know him - from what I've seen of him here, and his enthusiasm and freindly/humble demeanor.

Now back to the "Atari People" thing - so other than the aforementioned Dabney, can you name anybody else from Atari who's here? Any of the other big names, all throughout Atari's history? Engineers? P.R. people? Managers? Marketing? Evidently, they must not have warm/fuzzy nostaliga for Atari like many of the fans do. For many of them, it was "just a job" and there was nothing "magic" about it like there is for many fans, hence WE are here. You take issue with this observation? Explain!

Woh....settle down there partner. I really don't know how many people who once worked for Atari are on this site and how that is proportioned to their total workforce. I would suspect it is quite low. I was simply thinking of the two that have their own stickied threads. One of whom still is on AA now and again (which is absolutely wonderful) and one who isn't.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone ever do the full transcript? I'm a professional transcriptionist. I could probably whip it off pretty quickly if there's a need.

I'm no pro, but I did a full transcript of Ted's interview for the Retro Gaming Roundup folks as a thank you to them for pimping my site with Ted. Ted has emailed me a few times with Computer Space info so I am very thrilled to have talked to him.

http://www.computerspacefan.com/Ted2.htm

• Like 1