IGNORED

Equals to 2600 Adventure?

doctor_x

Adventure for the 2600 was for the longest time my favorite game.. I liked the multiple rooms and the quest theme in general.

I know about Adventure 2, galahad and the holy grail (8bit), but what other games were similar in gameplay and graphics to Adventure for the 2600?

Is haunted house on par with Adventure? Were there any D&D licensed games for the 2600 like there were for intellivision?

Edited by doctor_x

I have read that Haunted House is based on some of the code in Adventure. I don't know if that's true but I like HH; it's fun but doesn't have the same depth. Lately I've also been playing a lot of Superman, which reminds me a lot of Adventure.

There are some Adventure-style games in the AA store - maybe someone can recommend one of those?

If you have a Supercharger or a Harmony cart, you may want to play Dragonstomper; never put much time into it myself but it's in the same sort of vein.

Edited by ls650

Adventure for the 2600 was for the longest time my favorite game.. I liked the multiple rooms and the quest theme in general.

I know about Adventure 2, galahad and the holy grail (8bit), but what other games were similar in gameplay and graphics to Adventure for the 2600?

Is haunted house on par with Adventure? Were there any D&D licensed games for the 2600 like there were for intellivision?

I loved Raiders of the Lost Ark and recently replayed it to its finish (again). Although adventure is a thing of beauty in its simplicity and fun (and my favorite game along with Pitfall also) Raiders had a lot more stuff to explore and figure out.

I really like Secret Quest. It's a similar game to Adventure, only you're on a space station. I'd also recommend the unreleased Lord of the Rings prototype. It's not available on cartridge, but since the rom is available, you could play it on a Harmony cart.

I agree that the Haunted Adventure games are amazing. They're so much more than simple hacks of Adventure. You should definitely pick up a copy of Haunted Adventure Trilogy from the Atari Age store.

Also, Cave In and Evil Magician Returns are really good homebrew adventure games.

• Like 1

How about Dark Chambers?

Inexplicably, I've never played it, and it does have some mediocre reviews...but I tend to like games that get mediocre/bad reviews. :) It looks like it might be worth checking out if you're looking for adventure games.

I'll also parrot the "Secret Quest, Haunted House, Dragonstomper" comments. Great games, each.

As far as I can tell, M-Network never put out any D&D games for the VCS, unfortunately.

If a more maze-type game fits your bill, you'd do well to check out Tunnel Runner and Escape From The Mindmaster, as well.

If you've played Gauntlet (the arcade game or one of its ports, not the same-named 2600 cartridge), then you've played Dark Chambers. At best I would call it "Adventure-lite." It's obviously inspired by the same D&D-type role playing games that inspired Adventure, but it's meant to be a straightforward arcade game, not a strategy/exploration game.

I have read that Haunted House is based on some of the code in Adventure. I don't know if that's true but I like HH; it's fun but doesn't have the same depth. Lately I've also been playing a lot of Superman, which reminds me a lot of Adventure.

Superman uses some of the Adventure code (it was written on top of an early version of the game). Haunted House doesn't use any...it's completely original.

I know it's not really a D&D sort of theme but I think Superman is a great game and has lots of the Adventure type elements like finding the bad guys and the bridge pieces and getting all the bad guys to jail. As a kid Superman and Adventure were at the top of my list. I would also recommend you expand your horizons a little, get an Intellivision and try some of the D&D games there. They can be very entertaining in their own way.

the D&D theme is definitely important to me... superman/spiderman/superhero-of-any-type games have never really held much interest to me.

i think i remember montezuma's revenge for the 8 bit, and remembered really liking it... lots of good suggestions here that should keep me busy for a while.. thanks for the suggestions!

Montezuma's is my favorite game of its era, flat-out. - I have the CV, 26, 52 and SMS versions... I wonder what else is out there? Probabbly 400 800 and c64, but I don't have any of those systems.

Fathom has a heavy exploration component as well. Venture has the D&D setting and is a great game (even better on the CV though). Dragonfire also has that theme and is a great game (even better on the CV though).

• 4 weeks later...

kind of reviving an old thread - but i have been playing through a big archive i downloaded off of demonoid (atari 8 bit games) and once again played "dark chambers" and am liking it.. sort of like a really updated berzerk with elements of adventure.

also looking forward to going through a bunch of the c64 stuff i've downloaded to see if there is anything close to galahad/adventure/dark chambers for the 64/128...