ctirad

200 members have voted

1. 1. I'm interested in:

• RAM 320XL naked version
    • RAM 320XL full version
    • RAM 320XE
    • RAM 576+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

RAM 320XL is a external plug and play 320kB memory expansion card for 600XL and 800XL machines.

Additionally there is a possibility to disable internal memory and remap it onto card (switchable via jumper), thus one can "fix" many failing XLs without even looking inside.

Also, an unexpanded 16kB 600XLs can be upgraded to 320XL without any additional work.

RAM 320XL uses banking via bits 2,3,5,6 and 4 of PORTB. As you can see this is compatible with "Atari magazine" expansion rather than a most common RAMBO or Compy shop setup, however I have to say the comaptibility with both old and new software is excellent. There can be only problem with some programs, which does use the separate Antic/CPU banking. If you want to test any particular program, let me know.

Installation is easy. 600XL users will just plug it into PBI port. For 800XL is a bit more complicated, because Atari decided to remove 5V power from the PBI connector from it. Thus 800XL users will have either to use additional power cable which will fit into joystick port or solder one wire inside atari to make the PBI port powered like on 600XL.

The estimated price is between 20-30€ + postage. There will be probably two versions. A cheaper "naked" one and the more expensive with enclosure and power cable.

The availability is unknown, but I believe I can prepare a first batch in a month or so.

The future:

RAM 320XE - external plug and play 320kB RAM upgrade for all XE machines with EXP port. The basic parametres will be the same as the RAM 320XL plus possibility to switch into 100% compatible 130XE mode with separate ANTIC/CPU banks.

RAM 576+ - Internal RAM 576kB and beyond which will require very little and simple soldering. Universal PCB for XL/XE/XEGS. Compatible with 130XE/RAMBO/COMPY/Atari magazine modes (switchable).

Gallery:

Development:

post-21370-127273245232_thumb.jpg

post-21370-127273247512_thumb.jpg

First prototype:

post-21370-127273251334_thumb.jpg

Here you can see one of the protopytes in 600XL on the krupkaj's pages:

RAM 320XL in 600XL 1

RAM 320XL in 600XL 2

• Like 2

Great! Thanks for doing this. I've got 600XLs that I upgrade, and some that I leave stock. An external upgrade like this is a great way to upgrade a stock 600XL and then revert it later if desired. I am interested in a couple of these for sure.

Is it possible to make it fit mostly inside the PBI slot area? I see the prototype is already quite small.

Edited by griz

Is it possible to make it fit mostly inside the PBI slot area? I see the prototype is already quite small.

Yes, the production version will be smaller. I want to fit it under the line of the top part of atari case.

BTW, I'm just ordered a few samples of various plastic enclosures which should be suitable.

Have you considered a pass-through port for the parallelbus?

Yes I did, however I decided to not do so for several reasons. Firstly, I would have to redesign the whole PCB and the mechanics and use differet connector, which is almost impossible to find here. This would result in higher price and affect the whole compactness (currently 80x40x15mm, BTW). Secondly, I don't have access to any true PBI device to make at least basic tests a confirm it can really work together. And lastly, as far as I know, the most common PBI devices have the pass-trough port, so you can stack the RAM 320XL with them anyway.

And on the XE, would one have to take your device/card out, to plug in a cartridge?

The XE version will have its own cartridge connector, so there will be no reason to unplug the expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

Any More News on This? =)

Yes, I have designed the production version of the PCB and bought almost all components for the first batch of 50 devices. I shrinked the PCB to fit into Hammond box of 80x40mm size, so it will be almost invisible on the back side of XL. I also added a nice multifunctional LED ;) In next few days I'm going to send the materials to a PCB manufacturer. In meantime I'd like to create a prototype of the RAM 320XE.

Just an idea-- how about having a flash ROM along with normal RAM and being able to toggle them (without soldering).

I don't understand that. You cannot simply replace RAM with a ROM, flashable or not. It cannot work.

Just an idea-- how about having a flash ROM along with normal RAM and being able to toggle them (without soldering).

I don't understand that. You cannot simply replace RAM with a ROM, flashable or not. It cannot work.

I meant having both there like you have ROM at $C000...$FFFF currently on XL/XEs and there's also RAM there as well. That way, you can put some applications permanently in ROM and have them bank-switched at $4000...$BFFF (like 32K Atari 5200 carts).