ctirad

200 members have voted

1. 1. I'm interested in:

• RAM 320XL naked version
    • RAM 320XL full version
    • RAM 320XE
    • RAM 576+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

how about trying the 600XL with the onboard RAM removed.

That will not help as we prove, that the RAM is disabled correctly via the CAS signal (and the CAS signal generation via the /ESTSEL signal). Thus the problem cause is most probably somewhere around the MMU.

2) With jumper removed from RAM 320XL I get brief flash of LED on expansion and 600XL boots to black screen. No startup noise etc.

Without the jumper placed, the card should be invisible completely on the bus. I'd recommend to clean the PBI port first and to check for a possible shortcuts on the D0-D7 bus.

2) With jumper removed from RAM 320XL I get brief flash of LED on expansion and 600XL boots to black screen. No startup noise etc.

Without the jumper placed, the card should be invisible completely on the bus. I'd recommend to clean the PBI port first and to check for a possible shortcuts on the D0-D7 bus.

OK. I have cleaned the PBI contacts twice with a pencil eraser and then acetone. I'll dig the meter out tonight and check the bus. I guess I need to check from the PBI back?

OK. I have cleaned the PBI contacts twice with a pencil eraser and then acetone. I'll dig the meter out tonight and check the bus. I guess I need to check from the PBI back?

OK I've just checked out D0-D7 from the PBI via the test points and back to the CPU, ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY, OS and BASIC and I can't find any problems. Anything else to try?

EDIT: Just put the probe on with the RAM 320XL connected (jumper open) and the A0-A15 lines are pulsing but the D0-D7 lines are all high. EXTSEL is low and R/W is high so I guess the data bus is hung?

Edited by spookt

3. Test the additional RAM I can't the 600XL just locks up all I have hooked up is APE and the RAM320XL with the jumper set back to on.

I mean test the RAM without a jumper enabled. I'm not sure if the xram or similar utility will work with just 16kB of base memory, though.

OK, no luck. I've booted up xram with the jumper off the 600Xl just locks up.

Hello,

I had obtained package yesterday and it really looks great even if it is so small! :)

But since this time i don't have any IO storage device connected to atari, is there easy way how to check if it is working from basic?

thanks tomo

Assuming you have no other RAM expansions, you could check it out in Basic reasonably easily.

Try something like:

10 FOR B=0 TO 15:POKE 54017,B*4+193
20 FOR W=128 TO 96 STEP -32:POKE 106,W
30 GR. 8:POKE 710,0:COLOR 1
40 FOR X=0 TO 316 STEP 4:PLOT X,0:DRAWTO X,159:NEXT X
50 ? "Press any key...":POKE 764,255
60 IF PEEK(764)=255 THEN 60
70 NEXT W:NEXT B

That should draw some lines in hires which will let you visualise nearly 8K at a time * 2 to cover a 16K bank * 16 to account for 256K worth of extra RAM.

No volunteer who would like to trade a revB 600XL for an 800XL with 1MB of RAM? So how about a 130XE with 320kB RAM and some other mods?

Don't really want to trade but I might be persuaded to loan you my Rev B board if we can't sort this out remotely. I don't think shipping would be too bad from the UK to you. I only have one 600XL right now and it's my original and 1st Atari 8bit from back in the day.

1.3/3.4mm plug Beware, the +5V is on the outer ring! If you will take the 5V from the atari itself, you don't need to connect the GND.

ok I have made my own pigtail for use with 800xl. +5V on outer ring, taking 5V from joystick port, pin 7, GND not connected. On the front joystick port 320XL RAM works ok, but on the back joystick port the 320XL Ram locks up. QUESTION:? Is 5V on pin 7 for each joystick port.?

ok I have made my own pigtail for use with 800xl. +5V on outer ring, taking 5V from joystick port, pin 7, GND not connected. On the front joystick port 320XL RAM works ok, but on the back joystick port the 320XL Ram locks up. QUESTION:? Is 5V on pin 7 for each joystick port.?

Yes, it is. You can easily check it with voltmeter.

OK an update.

I just finished adding +5V to one of my stock 800XLs. I have 2 of the RAM 320XLs and for testing I had one with the jumper on and one with the jumper off. Well guess what ? The one with the jumper off hangs my 800XL as well as the 600XL. With the jumper on the 800XL works fine.

So I opened up the one with the jumper set, removed the jumper and tried it on the 600XL and it booted fine! (Still no joy with the jumper in place)

I cannot boot even DOS 2.5 with the jumper off using the 600XL so I can't run XRAM or Sysinfo to check the RAM.

I guess there may be a problem with one of my 320XL units?

OK an update.

I just finished adding +5V to one of my stock 800XLs. I have 2 of the RAM 320XLs and for testing I had one with the jumper on and one with the jumper off. Well guess what ? The one with the jumper off hangs my 800XL as well as the 600XL. With the jumper on the 800XL works fine.

So I opened up the one with the jumper set, removed the jumper and tried it on the 600XL and it booted fine! (Still no joy with the jumper in place)

I cannot boot even DOS 2.5 with the jumper off using the 600XL so I can't run XRAM or Sysinfo to check the RAM.

I guess there may be a problem with one of my 320XL units?

Have you tried both 320XL units on your 800XL? I know that my 600XL doesn't seem to like the 320XL :? but it run just fine with my 800XL. :D

Have you tried both 320XL units on your 800XL? I know that my 600XL doesn't seem to like the 320XL :? but it run just fine with my 800XL. :D

Yes. One works fine on the 800XL with the jumper in either position. The other works with the jumper set but hangs the machine with a black screen with the jumper open.

I'm assuming this may be a fault with the unit.

I am intending to use my 320XL on an unmodified NTSC 600XL. I do not know which motherboard I have, but when I get the mod I will check and report with success or failure. How does one identify the motherboard revision?

I'd consider trading for that 800XL, if it were NTSC. I'm guessing not?

Just bought another 600XL on eBay. I think I may be addicted :D Hmm Rev A or Rev B? Who knows, probably B but might be useful for further testing.

EDIT: Oops and a pair of HM50464P's for a 64Kb upgrade. Better go to be now before I spend more money!

Edited by spookt