200 members have voted

1. 1. I'm interested in:

• RAM 320XL naked version
    • RAM 320XL full version
    • RAM 320XE
    • RAM 576+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

As I said many times before, it is impossible to make anything beyond 320kB as plug&play. However, I plan to add the 576kB (or maybe even 1MB) optional mode which will require some soldering same way as I did for the RAM320XE.

Edited by ctirad

• 1 month later...

As I said many times before, it is impossible to make anything beyond 320kB as plug&play. However, I plan to add the 576kB (or maybe even 1MB) optional mode which will require some soldering same way as I did for the RAM320XE.

Are you really sure about this? The Turbo Freezer 2011 turns my stock atari without any soldering into a 576KB machine which is 100% PORT B compatible. Only soldering that I could do is adding +5V to the PBI port, but that is something different.

Could you please attach a screenshot or the photo of the running XRAM application (http://satantronic.atari.sk/xXRAM.htm) to see the banks used? I think the only way how to make an 576kB external extension without soldering is to use the PB4 as the additional address bit instead of the bank select. It would be pretty non standard, but as long at would be correctly autodetected by the most application it will work. It can be also added to the RAM 320XE easily.

Hello ctirad

Long ago, I made my own 1MB upgrade. It used bits 4 and 5 just like the stock 130XE does and uses the other 6 bits to access 1MB of extra data. Have a look here for the description and here for the schematic. Maybe you can use that to determine how to use those bits in your upgrade.

Sincerely

Mathy

Could you please attach a screenshot or the photo of the running XRAM application (http://satantronic.atari.sk/xXRAM.htm) to see the banks used? I think the only way how to make an 576kB external extension without soldering is to use the PB4 as the additional address bit instead of the bank select. It would be pretty non standard, but as long at would be correctly autodetected by the most application it will work. It can be also added to the RAM 320XE easily.

Here you go.

This is stock atari 800xl with Turbo Freezer 2011.

The blue cartridge that is installed is a util card where that XRAM program is stored on, so it is not a part of the memory upgrade or whatever.

But this is internal upgrade, which is completely different story. On the external device it is not possible to use bits PB0, PB1 and PB7, because they are internally used for mapping the ROM, BASIC and the selftest.

I guess you are referring to Mathy's post and not mine? Freezer is 100% external.

Yes, that was reaction to the Mathy's post. There was not your post when I started to reply to Mathy.

Anyway, thank you ProWizard for the photo. This 576kB mode is already supported by the RAM320XE, BUT it can never work reliably without internal mod, because due to use of the PB7 some banks will conflict with the selftest in it's address space!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suspect you'd need some system to detect when +5 on the PBI goes low to switch to the battery; but at least there is a power jack on the 320XL.

Alternatively, disconnect the +5V from the PBI on the 320XL and running only on battery power may be an option as well.