1. 1. I'm interested in:

• RAM 320XL naked version
    • RAM 320XL full version
    • RAM 320XE
    • RAM 576+

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You also could go for the new remake of the Turbo Freezer (see other thread). This one gives you also XE compatible memory expansion, and it is battery back upped, and a lot more features which are excellent.

My main Atari is a stock 800XL (well ok I did a small mod to add +5v to the pbi, but that is needed with other expansions too) and the Turbo Freezer. I can run anything on this.

RAM 320XL is a external plug and play 320kB memory expansion card for 600XL and 800XL machines.

Additionally there is a possibility to disable internal memory and remap it onto card (switchable via jumper), thus one can "fix" many failing XLs without even looking inside.

Also, an unexpanded 16kB 600XLs can be upgraded to 320XL without any additional work.

RAM 320XL uses banking via bits 2,3,5,6 and 4 of PORTB. As you can see this is compatible with "Atari magazine" expansion rather than a most common RAMBO or Compy shop setup, however I have to say the comaptibility with both old and new software is excellent. There can be only problem with some programs, which does use the separate Antic/CPU banking. If you want to test any particular program, let me know.

Installation is easy. 600XL users will just plug it into PBI port. For 800XL is a bit more complicated, because Atari decided to remove 5V power from the PBI connector from it. Thus 800XL users will have either to use additional power cable which will fit into joystick port or solder one wire inside atari to make the PBI port powered like on 600XL.

The estimated price is between 20-30€ + postage. There will be probably two versions. A cheaper "naked" one and the more expensive with enclosure and power cable.

The availability is unknown, but I believe I can prepare a first batch in a month or so.

The future:

RAM 320XE - external plug and play 320kB RAM upgrade for all XE machines with EXP port. The basic parametres will be the same as the RAM 320XL plus possibility to switch into 100% compatible 130XE mode with separate ANTIC/CPU banks.

RAM 576+ - Internal RAM 576kB and beyond which will require very little and simple soldering. Universal PCB for XL/XE/XEGS. Compatible with 130XE/RAMBO/COMPY/Atari magazine modes (switchable).

Gallery:

Development:

attachicon.gifdevel1.JPG

attachicon.gifdevel2.JPG

First prototype:

attachicon.gifproto1.JPG

Here you can see one of the protopytes in 600XL on the krupkaj's pages:

RAM 320XL in 600XL 1

RAM 320XL in 600XL 2

thats an 800XL?!?

thats an 800XL?!?

Picture 1 & 2, everything without wires below the cartridge port, is an 800XL.

Just a 2 year older updated Atari 2600 with a full 6502 not the "half of a 6502 - the 6507", actual ram chips, a video chip, and a proper sound chip (not just a noise oscillator).

Nice late 1970's design.

• 2 months later...

We have not had any updates on the new version in awhile. The older version was sold out a long time ago. I think that you are likely to be waiting for a long, long while! (Unless you find a used one to purchase.)

You might instead want to consider an Antonia 4 MB upgrade. It is a better upgrade (IMO), and has flashable OS and Basic slots. It does require that you open your Atari up, but virtually all 600XL's are socketed, so there are no troublesome issues installing one. Depending on what you plan to use for a display, you might consider an Ultimate Atari Video (UAV). Also quite easy to install and gives superb video. Do those two upgrades, and you will have a SOTA ;) retro Atari.

Capetown S.A.? I've never seen anyone here from S.A. Welcome!

-Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, could you please describe RAM 576XL features?

Just a basic 576kB or 320KB with remapped base RAM (useful mainly for 16kB 600XL machines).

Due to fact, the PBI port lacks /HALT signal needed for separate CPU/ANTIC makes, there was no reason to bother with a true 130XE and COMPY modes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, davince said:

Is this upgrade still alive? An where can I order one?

You might be interested in a Turbo-Freezer 2011

It will give you 512 KB of memory -- as well as a host of other features.

It's plug and play, for XL machines with at least 64 KB, or 65XE (that has ECI port -- mostly European), or any 130XE.

Message @santosp if you're interested. He probably still has some for sale.

Alternatively you can order a Syscheck V2.2XL or V2.2XE from tf_hh which will give you 512k XRAM, four different OS and a nice (RAM) system checker...

tf_hh Hardware

He also has internal RAM upgrades (512KB SRAM memory expansion for XL/XE/XEGS and 576KB SRAM memory expansion for 600XL) available.

• Like 2