IGNORED

Weekly TI chat

retroclouds

Day and time for weekly TI chat  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What day should the weekly TI chat take place on?

• Friday
    • Saturday
    • Sunday
    • Wednesday
  2. 2. What time should the TI chat take place on?

• 19:00 CET (Berlin Time) - 07:00 PM (CDT - NY Time)
    • 20:00 CET (Berlin Time) - 08:00 PM (CDT - NY Time)
    • 21:00 CET (Berlin time) - 09:00 PM (CDT - NY time)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Today we had our first TI chat right here at atariage.

As this was a spontaneous idea, it was a blast chatting with folks like acadiel, The Codex and others.

We were 8 people in the chatroom, not bad at all.

So I'd like to pickup this idea and try to schedule a weekly TI chat here on Atariage.

The thing we have to agree on, is when to do this.

The biggest issue I see here is scheduling a day/time that is acceptable for all (european & US folks).

What do you think people? What day and time would you like best ?

Please make some proposals and we can then do a poll on this.

I live in Eastern Standard Time... It's 3:46 Eastern Standard Time right now... I say anytime during the weekend is fine--- but my gig schedule might interfere with it. :) Id love a TI chat!!! Wonder if Atariage could add chat to their iPhone app

I live in Eastern Standard Time... It's 3:46 Eastern Standard Time right now... I say anytime during the weekend is fine--- but my gig schedule might interfere with it. :) Id love a TI chat!!! Wonder if Atariage could add chat to their iPhone app

Wow! -- Great idea, chats!

I remember the days of the famous Delphi and Genie chats. -- Those were great.

There was alot of planned ones also, with certain key TI developers during those times.

If I remember most of them were in my late evening time (me also being in the eastern time zone), so that way it would be possible for those awake early enough overseas.

It is hard to get the right time period for those both on the North America world, and those in the UK/Italy area which is also very active still in the TI world.

Still -- Great idea! -- No matter the timeslot decided on, I plan to be at a few of them.

One question, what chat program is "Atariage" using?

Wonder if Atariage could add chat to their iPhone app

Well, the mobile skin (which is what I assume you are referring to) does not support the chat, but if you switch to the "Desktop" skin (there is a link at the bottom of the page when using the mobile skin), the chat should work. I'll have to try that.

One question, what chat program is "Atariage" using?

It is "IP.Chat", an add-on module for the forum software we're using, written directly by Invision. This is a new product so it doesn't have many features at the moment, but a new version is coming very soon that adds some new features, including private chats. Over time some interesting features should be added.

This chat module is just straight HTML and Javascript, so it will work for the vast majority of people, unlike the many Flash and Java-based chat rooms I've seen. Plus, it integrates nicely into the forum (for instance, there is a list of who's chatting at the bottom of the main forum index). The next version will also show the number of people chatting in the "Chat" tab at the top of the page (for instance, "Chat (23)").

The chat servers are managed by Invision, and the chat room communicates directly with their servers. This greatly reduces load on the AtariAge server when many people are chatting at once. This service is not free, so it will be nice to see more people use it over time. :)

..Al

• Like 1

Thanks Albert!!! Yea, this is gonna be great, man. I was referring to the mobile skin... It's very efficient and user friendly!! Anyway, I'll be finding this chat room asap. :) Thank you for providing such a great service to the atariage faithful!

ok, people I've been thinking about what would be the best day and time for doing the weekly TI chat.

Basically in the TI world we are located either in the US or Europe. This will make it kinda hard to set an exact time that fits all.

That is why I propose the following:

We setup 2 times on the day where the TI chat takes place.

- Focussing the europeans, we setup the chat at 8 o'clock in the evening (Berlin time - 20:00 CET).

- Focussing the USA, we setup the chat at 8 o'clock in the evening (New York time - 08:00 PM EDT).

The benefit is that the US folks can join the european chat (would be afternoon in the USA).

I talked to Albert and for the TI chats we can have the chat protocol published at Atariage.

Think that is a great idea as it's documenting what is going on the community and it sure will be fun looking back

to it, perhaps in 5 or 10 years :)

So, we will need to tell him start- and end time of the chat. I propose that the TI chat has a 2 hours limit.

As far as the day the chat takes place on; I propose Saturday evening, but I'll also set some alternatives in the poll :)

Voted. Weekly might be a bit much for me, but anyways - gotta always be after kids go to bed. And, not conflict with when I play hockey, which should be rare.

BTW - I feel screwed I missed it, especially since Codex has my phone # :)

Edited by unhuman

Ah, sorry about that man, didn't even think of it. But I would've rung you in if I knew you were around. I was really suprised that Owen didn't pop in, as he's usually on at that time. He might still be on the road with the band though. He was coming home through Nashville, hope he didn't get flooded out.

Ah, sorry about that man, didn't even think of it. But I would've rung you in if I knew you were around. I was really suprised that Owen didn't pop in, as he's usually on at that time. He might still be on the road with the band though. He was coming home through Nashville, hope he didn't get flooded out.

Hehe. I'm just givin u grief. That gives me a little joy back :)

Nope--- didn't get flooded in Nashville. During the first chat, I was driving around doing errands. But, I have my iPhone... I tried to find a chat feature in the mobile skin for my iPhone but couldn't find one. So I missed it, even while knowing it was going on. Then I found out from Albert I could access chat if i changed a setting on my phone... :) Thanks for your concern for my safety Codex

Hehe. I'm just givin u grief. That gives me a little joy back :)

In that case, look for your phone number to feature prominently in some very questionable Craigslist postings shortly. ;)

Nope--- didn't get flooded in Nashville. ... Thanks for your concern for my safety Codex

To hell with your safety man, I want to play your RPG. :D (Seriously, glad you're okay bro. How'd the gigs go?)

Maybe I'm a little old school, but why not set up a permanent room on an IRC server? Those are free, the clients are numerous, and it should not be too hard to keep the room open via a bot.

Matthew

The benefit here at atariage is that we'll have a good integration with the forum software itself, and that will be even better in the future. Also it will be easier for other Atariage members to chime in (thinking about colecovision and atari homebrewers here). Kinda hoping this makes some publicity for the TI community :)

I think it's a great thing that Albert is offering this, so we might as well make good use of it.

Nonetheless, the IRC option is something to consider if this should not work out as expected.

This is to let you know the poll will be closed on Wednesday evening (May 12th).

We have 16 votes so far.

So if you haven't voted yet, then take your chance now.

The first official chat will take place on the weekend of May 15th/16th.

The results so far seem to indicate the following:

* Chat starts at 9 o'clock in the evening.

* Preferred day is either Saturday or Sunday (6 votes each).

I'll send out an invitation reminder to the atariage folks at the TI-99/4A programming

subgroup the day before the chat takes place.

Edited by retroclouds

A lot of us US folks seem to be on most nights around 8-10. There's nothing stopping us jumping in the chatroom then, especially if it's unoccupied. You can see who's in there on the main forum page (at the bottom), so if there are 99ers in the room, hop on in!

In now - thought we had our own little chat. But that's fine.

I hope to be able to offer the ability to setup different "chat rooms" at some point, but unfortunately that functionality is not yet available. This is a fairly new chat module and it doesn't have much in the way of features yet. A new version that will be available very soon does offer private chats, though, and it also shows the number of people chatting in the room next to the "Chat" link. :)

..Al

On the Chat Nights we've been having on Mondays since early last year (8-10pm eastern) I've found it quite fun that we never know what topics will be discussed and there can be 3-4 topics going at once. Everyone is always welcome and when new individuals stop by, it's nice to see different perspectives and ideas. Plus we've all learned new things from the programmers, coders, historians etc that have stopped by. It's not like the Chats are some club where no one other then the little core group is welcome either. I think that the diversity is what enhances it tbh and what makes it a community.

On the Chat Nights we've been having on Mondays since early last year (8-10pm eastern) I've found it quite fun that we never know what topics will be discussed and there can be 3-4 topics going at once. Everyone is always welcome and when new individuals stop by, it's nice to see different perspectives and ideas. Plus we've all learned new things from the programmers, coders, historians etc that have stopped by. It's not like the Chats are some club where no one other then the little core group is welcome either. I think that the diversity is what enhances it tbh and what makes it a community.

That's true, but it doesn't preclude the idea of having chats that focus on a particular subject. If you have too many people in the chat room, it can be difficult to make sense of what's going on and that may drive away people who want to discuss a single topic (such as TI computers). I seen eventually there being a schedule of chats based on various subjects. There will always be a "general" chat night, though, where just about anything goes. :)

..Al