IGNORED

OSS cartridges

candle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have no clue Steve, was it in form of cartridge? Can You make one? i'm not an 6502 coder, so i would not cope with such task, but most probably someone here would be capable od making it possible

I haven't heard of TurboBASICXL in a cartridge version, but I have heard of it as modification to replace the internal BASIC. Schematic and EPROM image attached.

I haven't any personal experience with the internal version.

Bill

TBASICXL.zip

• 6 months later...

Ever wish you could just wire-up MAC/65 inside your machine instead of BASIC?

post-8775-0-01575800-1305577783_thumb.gif

That's how you do it..

It should work for ACTION too.

It will NOT work for BASIC XE, because every time BASIC XE writes to PORTB, it disables internal BASIC. If someone could go through the BASIC XE ROM and find every place where it writes a value to the PORTB register and change bit 1 in that value to a "0" (enable) instead of a "1" (disable), it would work..

Unfortunately, BASIC XE writes to PORTB on initialization, so if you put it in your machine on the BASIC ROM select, it just locks up..

I don't know if BASIC XL has the same problem or not.. Maybe someone can try it..

Also, whichever OSS language you use, make sure the ROM IMAGE is one that uses the newer (post-1986) OSS BANKING SCHEME.. Otherwise, it won't work at all.

amusing ;)

because it died of lack of intrest

Solutions seeming to be looking for problems usually do. But now you have your problem - FJC GUI. I would say this was a case of "forward-thinking" - you can clearly see the future my friend :thumbsup:

Consider interest in this reinstated. :cool:

Hi Candel,

This is SO weird! Just finished installing ISE webPACK last week and started learning VHDL. I've been searching for code snippets and Atari cart banking designs. AND then this topic gets bumped up, just what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing your code!

Van

Unfortunately my PC K/O'd while we were discussing it on IRC.

Needed a reboot, or a dead drive? Your statement made my heart hit the floor - hope you've been backing up :)

Just the feeble TopWin software/driver combo for my EEPROM programmer causing a spontaneous blue screen. No big deal.

amusing ;)

because it died of lack of intrest

Solutions seeming to be looking for problems usually do. But now you have your problem - FJC GUI. I would say this was a case of "forward-thinking" - you can clearly see the future my friend :thumbsup:

Consider interest in this reinstated. :cool:

Pass-thru and RTC would be nice extras. It should be known that Steve Tucker has designed and produced for me two 1MB flash/512KB RAM carts with pass-thru connectors (though no RTC, since the idea never came up at the time). I'm committed to making the GUI work on Steve's cart, but there's no implied exclusivity, so I'm happy to make different builds for different carts when the time comes.

4MB flash is easy, but 16MB of SRAM would cost small fortune (yes, i'm exagerating) and would take more than one board both sides to get mounted

if using relativly cheap 512kB chips, this would require 32 chips, each 16x21mm - that alone gives 107cm^2 of board area

full size cart is 74x64mm, and that is 47cm^2 board area, since board has two sides, it would be 94cm^2 - so SRAM didn't fit, plus it would cost 90 euro alone

bottom line - watch what you're wishing for

ethernet you say?

well, noone seems to care about it

its ready for moths

A8E.jpg

Edited by candle
  • Like 1