IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection with POKEY sound

tep392

Despite being a proud purchaser of the first/original Pac-Man Collection, I don't want or believe there should be any sort of trade; rather, I fully support this as a separate and different release from the original without any sort of trade or upgrade available.

+1

Bob's original work was and is a truly amazing effort, and Perry's work is also very nice and very much appreciated. 'trade-in' doesn't fit into this in any way, shape or form.

I agree with Curt, played the pokey version on my Wii last night (with a gamecube to cx-40 adapter). What a difference. The original was great, but with the new Pokey sounds, well, awesome. Well done guys:thumbsup:

I hope Perry doesn't mind me posting this, but you guys *have* to hear the great job he did with the 'eat monster' sound and the 'eyes return to pen' sound in Ms. Pac-Man! Almost identical to the arcade!

Great work Perry!

Thanks for posting this and thanks for the compliments. You had mensioned changing the collision detection in fast mode, so I figured you could post my updated along with yours.

There were a couple other changes as well. I updated the Ms. Pacman siren and chomp as well as the bonus sound. I still might make a few tweaks to the sound priorities because there are still some issues with the chomp sound overiding other sounds in fast mode.

Regardsd,

Perry

Nice! Finally got a chance to try this on my CC2. I love it! The sound effects and music are more, I don't know, meaty. And they compliment Bob's programming perfectly. I bought Pac-Man Collection but I'd be more than happy to buy it again! Excellent work, Perry! :thumbsup:

I would love to see hear what you can do with Jr. Pac!

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed a 'problem'. After completing a round of Ms. Pac-Man and allowing the game to cycle through to where it introduces the game characters, there are no running/alternating white lights going around the pink rectangle containing the character names. It is just solid pink squares.

This happens both under MESS 0.138 and ProSystem 1.3e.

Hey Trebor:

That is correct; I needed the white 'marquee' lights to finish the 'Double-Line' maze outline for Pac-Man. (Ran out of characters) :( This is also visible in the 'regular' Pac-Man Collection.

@Corby: :lol:

Thanks, Guys - We are deciding what to do with this - you will have an answer soon. :)

In the meantime, Perry is doing an incredible job here - another update posted below (NTSC/PAL).

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Trebor:

That is correct; I needed the white 'marquee' lights to finish the 'Double-Line' maze outline for Pac-Man. (Ran out of characters) :( This is also visible in the 'regular' Pac-Man Collection.

In the meantime, Perry is doing an incredible job here - another update posted below (NTSC/PAL).

Oops...My bad. I never realized the marquee lights were missing in the original. Thanks for the explanation too.

Great update. I like that the Ms. Pac-Man siren is not as loud as in previous versions. Before it sounded just a tad too loud and overwhelming. This new version is a much better (Truer to Arcade) balance between the siren sound and the chomping of dots.

-Trebor

Hey Trebor:

@Corby: :lol:

Thanks, Guys - We are deciding what to do with this - you will have an answer soon. :)

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for the Compliment Bob. :) It woudn't have been possible without the great work you did on the original PMC. Unless some bug is found, this is going to be my last update. I tweaked the tunes a little bit, which is most noticable in Ms. Pacman. I've had a lot of fun working on this and hope everyone enjoy's it.

Regards,

Perry

Some time ago, someone did a "proper" level intro sound using Triangle waves on Pokey... might be worth chasing up and seeing if you could use that.

Although of course, it mightn't work very well under emulation.

I would guess that whoever did that used the volume only mode of the POKEY chip to generate the waveform.

Since this was my first attemp at coding music, POKEY and the 7800, I thought I it would keep it simple. I also wanted to keep the code under 32k so I could put it on a Ballblazer cart. Pacman Collection was already pretty close to 32k so I didn't have enough room to do anything too sophisticated. I'm happy with how it turned out though and don't plan on making any more changes. If someone wants it to be more authentic, they may want to just start from scratch with an emulated version like what Opcode does. Then again, they could just fire up Mame.

Regards,

Perry

Some time ago, someone did a "proper" level intro sound using Triangle waves on Pokey... might be worth chasing up and seeing if you could use that.

Although of course, it mightn't work very well under emulation.

I just found the post with the intro sample and WOW, it sounded good! But, I promised myself I wouldn't tinker with this anymore. Must resist the urge to make more changes. Must resist the urge to make more changes. Must resist the urge to make more changes. :)

It's not a "sample". It uses the triangle wave that results from the interaction of 2 adjacent pure-tone frequencies in 1.79 MHz mode.

So, it is relatively simple to implement, you don't need some CPU-hogging routine to play it.

Understood. I mean't to say example.