IGNORED

Holy Grail of Roms

cashcow06

I have only recently started seriously collecting 2600 Roms. I was just curious as to which Roms would be considered rare or difficult to find.

I've never heard of rom collecting. Theres no sport in that! lol. Do what you want i don't care. There are no rare roms as i know. If there is a rom, it will be on Atari age. Again i don't know because i don't use emulators.

Thelonelyalien

I think that what Rom Hunter does could be classified as "rom collecting" but really as an average emulator user there is no such thing, as far as I'm concerned. All you need to do is grab one of the complete rom sets and you are done.

I guess that some of the un-released protos could be considered "Holy Grails"... Games like...

Good Luck Charlie Brown

Loco-Motion

Adventures of the Pink Panther

...We would all love to see those roms.

• Like 3

I have only recently started seriously collecting 2600 Roms. I was just curious as to which Roms would be considered rare or difficult to find.

Not sure I understand the question.

Either ROMs are released and freely available or they aren't. If you want to consider the ROM images of games that have been found but not circulated yet to be "rare", then these would be it off the top of my head:

Anteater (M-Network)

Birthday Mania (Personal Games)

Bouncin' Baby Bunnies (Telesys)

Good Luck, Charlie Brown (Atari)

In Search of the Golden Skull (M-Network)

Loco-Motion (M-Network)

Mark of the Mole (Atari)

Monkey Music Maker (Atari)

Pink Panther (Probe 2000)

Power Lords (Probe 2000)

Racer (Atari)

Red Sea Crossing (Inspirational Video Concepts/Steve Stack)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - alternate version (Wizard)

Turbo (Coleco)

Unknown Bear Game (Sega)

There's a few others as well...

Some Roms that I had difficulty finding were the Ebivision games. I still have not been able to get the Stella's Stocking Rom.

Many homebrew ROMs are not in circulation for various reasons, although people do have them.

Some Roms that I had difficulty finding were the Ebivision games. I still have not been able to get the Stella's Stocking Rom.

Here's my collection:

http://www.atarimania.com/rom_collection_archive_atari_2600_roms.html

It's the best documented VCS ROM collection in the world.

It will soon be updated to V6.

I do have a few old era ROMs that are extremely rare, but I promised not to spread them yet.

8)

• Like 1

Here's my collection:

http://www.atarimania.com/rom_collection_archive_atari_2600_roms.html

It's the best documented VCS ROM collection in the world.

It will soon be updated to V6.

I do have a few old era ROMs that are extremely rare, but I promised not to spread them yet.

8)

Thank You, very nice collection.

Thank You, very nice collection.

Actually it's missing a bunch of titles but they are kept within private collecting circles. So you could call that the best "publicly avalible" rom set if you wanted to be more accurate. :P

By the title of the Thread, I thought Rom Hunter had finally fanagaled, a dump of Birthday Mania, from someone. :D

I thought Birthdaymania ended up getting dumped, was it just for preservation reasons and the rom was still not released? Or am I just completely wrong and it was never dumped at all?

Ah, then you truly are a newbie... you don't know about the HUGE Rom-Wars of the 1990's and going into 2000 to about 2003 or so.

Myself, Matt (Tempest) and Albert worked together with several key collectors and basically started putting out literally any and all rom's out into the public domain for all to be able to download and play.

Years ago, games like 2600 Tempest were only talked about on the newsgroups and shown to select people at shows.

If you want to see a lot more about the history and rarity of Rom's - Digitpress has a section called the ROMpage edited by John Hardie (he took it over from Sean Kelly) and you can read past issues of it and get a feel for the days when rom's were a commodity traded in tight circles and available to only a select few.

Curt

I've never heard of rom collecting. Theres no sport in that! lol. Do what you want i don't care. There are no rare roms as i know. If there is a rom, it will be on Atari age. Again i don't know because i don't use emulators.

Thelonelyalien

I guess you can add many games from the Amiga Power Play series to that list. Games like 3-D Ghost Attack exist and have been dumped, but not released (yet?).

Yeah, I didn't mention those due to them never having been officially announced as 'found' but they do exist. I suspect that the owner(s) will release them at some point.

Ah, then you truly are a newbie... you don't know about the HUGE Rom-Wars of the 1990's and going into 2000 to about 2003 or so.

Myself, Matt (Tempest) and Albert worked together with several key collectors and basically started putting out literally any and all rom's out into the public domain for all to be able to download and play.

Years ago, games like 2600 Tempest were only talked about on the newsgroups and shown to select people at shows.

If you want to see a lot more about the history and rarity of Rom's - Digitpress has a section called the ROMpage edited by John Hardie (he took it over from Sean Kelly) and you can read past issues of it and get a feel for the days when rom's were a commodity traded in tight circles and available to only a select few.

Curt

Thelonelyalien

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds cool and I love computers. It's just, I don't see the sport in it. It like if you go dear hunting but there all in a box and your up on a scissor lift in the middle(I don't go hunting by the way). I like the feeling of having a game in my hand and sliding it in to the Atari 2600. I like sifting through flea markets, looking for that one system, that one game. Just the feeling of going back to the past 80's or the 70's with a cartridge just makes me feel good. However people who don't like spending money or just want to play the games should use emulators. I just don't think there's any sport in it. Do what makes you happy though. You have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

TheLonelyAlien

• Like 1

Curt

Thelonelyalien

Oh don't get me wrong, it sounds cool and I love computers. It's just, I don't see the sport in it. It like if you go dear hunting but there all in a box and your up on a scissor lift in the middle(I don't go hunting by the way). I like the feeling of having a game in my hand and sliding it in to the Atari 2600. I like sifting through flea markets, looking for that one system, that one game. Just the feeling of going back to the past 80's or the 70's with a cartridge just makes me feel good. However people who don't like spending money or just want to play the games should use emulators. I just don't think there's any sport in it. Do what makes you happy though. You have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

TheLonelyAlien

Agreed. :thumbsup: This is the only Rom I would collect. :P

• Like 2

Curt

Thelonelyalien

TheLonelyAlien

Agreed. :thumbsup: This is the only Rom I would collect. :P

LOL! :D :D :D :D

Thelonelyalien

TheLonelyAlien

I would prefer to collect the actual games if possible as well. I live in a area with a small population which limits my collecting abilities. Buying items on E-BAY gets expensive with the cost of shipping in Canada and the items received are usually left overs. Collecting ROMS is the next best thing.

• Like 1