IGNORED

XM1541 Adapter

Since an 1541 Ulitmate is out of my price range at the moment, I have one of these coming to me:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3802216537661?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

I know this is a bit more limited than an Ultimate, but it should work for what I need. As I understand it, this cable should allow me to hook a 1541 up to my computer and copy disk images over to a real C-64 disk. I do something similar on my Apple IIe to transfer games.

However from what I've read the cable is really picky about the hardware it works on and the software is even more picky. I'm not sure if my machine will work with it. I'm using a Serial/parallel card and Windows 7 64-bit. My Apple and Atari haven't had issues, but I'm wondering if this will. I can boot into XP, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Anyone have experience with the XM1541?

Tempest

Anyone have experience with the XM1541?

Tempest

Yes, and its picky as hell.

Couldn't get mine to work under Win2000 or XP at all.

Ended up taking an old Dell laptop and installing DOS6 on it, then running Star Commander, which allowed me to transfer singe PRG files, but then timed out after each transfer.

Since alot of people got theirs to work ok, either im doing it all wrong, or my desktops have something in the parallel port/windows drivers thats interfering.

I built one for someone else a few months back. Worked fine on my Core2/WinXP system.

Fiddly thing to build but not too much work. Someone posted elsewhere a good page that actually describes the lengths to trim off each diode lead end for a snug fit - I just did mine on the go based on a schematic.

If you happen to have old PCI header brackets with the printer plug and ribbon cable - the molded removable plugs are often just the right size to fit everything in.

I just made mine with a short lead and female DIN plug, easier to just hang that off the back of your box, then plug the 1541 serial lead into that, and put your 1541 on top of the PC or on the desk.

Edited by Rybags