IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 38: Fireball

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Imagine this: You're a juggler. You've practiced long and hard to become a very good juggler. You can juggle rubber balls, fragile plates, even razor-sharp daggers. Now you're ready for the ultimate test — the Fireball Competition.

The situation: You've done well in the early matches of the International Tournament of Jugglers. Most of the competitors have been eliminated. You've survived. Now it's down to the final event: the Fireball.™

Your objective: Catch the blazing Fireball and hurl it back at the wall of blocks. Rack up points by smashing blocks and clearing the screen. And prove your skill as a juggler by keeping a number of Fireballs in the air. First one, then two, three, four...

s_Fireball_6.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Fireball
  • Released By: Starpath, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Catching requires less precision
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Cascade - 1 Playerarrow.gif
  • Chosen By: Ze_ro

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday May 12th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 30,423 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 26,640 (shadow460) [+10]
  3. 23,236 (oyamafamily) [+9]
  4. 20,123 (Zoyx) [+8]
  5. 2123 (4Ks) [+7]
  6. 1446 (roadrunner) [+6]
  7. 1097 (LarcenTyler) [+5]

Best Tips
  • shadow460 [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 17,166 (Galen Komatsu)
(Game 2, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [374]
  2. Zoyx [270]
  3. darthkur [202]
  4. roadrunner [178]
  5. oyamafamily [154]
  6. shadow460 [150]
  7. Cebus Capucinis [107]
  8. JacobZu7zu7 [99]
  9. LarcenTyler [97]
  10. Deteacher [92]
  11. Atardi [84]
  12. vjames [71]
  13. aftermac [70]
  14. zylon [68]
  15. Captain Beard [61]
  16. godzillajoe [56]
  17. katana [51]
  18. Mister VCS [48]
  19. keilbaca [42]
  20. brandondwright [30]
  21. Vectorman0 [29]
  22. Carey85 [29]
  23. 4Ks [29]
  24. NML32 [27]
  25. homerwannabee [26]
  26. Impaler_26 [26]
  27. Hornpipe2 [25]
  28. SpiceWare [24]
  29. Wickeycolumbus [22]
  30. devwebcl [21]
  31. pis [19]
  32. Tr3vor [19]
  33. chuckwalla [17]
  34. HatNJ [14]
  35. Pioneer4x4 [13]
  36. Nathan Strum [11]
  37. LoneWolfSeth [10]
  38. LaserHawk [10]
  39. vintagegamecrazy [9]
  40. joeypsp [9]
  41. Lendorian [9]
  42. littleman jack [8]
  43. kote [8]
  44. Animan [6]
  45. Player 3 [6]
  46. Chris Leach [5]
  47. MIKE5200 [4]
  48. Skaarg [4]
  49. JayWI [3]
  50. Shannon [2]
  51. jeremysart [2]
  52. sloth713 [2]
  53. jjd [2]
  54. SpaceInvaders [2]
  55. ChrisKoopa [1]
  56. SeaGtGruff [1]
  57. Nati [1]
  58. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Fireball
  • You earn points for each block smashed.
  • You earn points for each set of blocks eliminated.
  • The closer to the top of the screen, the more the block is worth.
  • The more Fireballs in play, the more each block is worth.

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• Try to anticipate where the tumbling Fireballs will land. Then get there ahead of them and wait.
  • If you're juggling more than two Fireballs, you may find it easier to not catch them. Keep the controller button pressed down, and the Fireballs will simply bounce off you.
  • Stay alert for the arrival of mystery Fireballs.

We played this game before in the High Score Club, check it out here.

shadow460

If you can, try to aim for the last block by catching a fireball and then releasing it so that it'll hit the block when most of the other fireballs are at the top of the screen. This means you'll be catching in the middle of a downpour, but it'll put the other balls where they can wipe out most of the next formation.

I usually start this variation by knocking a hole through either side, then I sit back and relax for a few seconds while the fireball tears everything up from the top down.

Don't flick the paddle rapidly. This causes the juggler to "skip" across the screen and the game won't register that he has actually caught a fireball unless his sprite and the ball sprite actually appear touching each other.

Catches count from the top of the juggler's arms all the way to his wasit, and maybe even to his feet.

DON'T MISS! Missing a ball when there are only one or two blocks left will almost certainly end your game no matter how many tries you have left. If you have to miss a ball, try to make a shot at the last block on the screen. This will cause the new formation to show up with the extra balls held captive instead of having all of them rain down on you at once.

If you don't like the number of balls in the lower section of a new set of blocks, drop one ball quickly. This will send most of the balls to the upper areas where they may or may not start wreaking havoc.

Try to make only one opening to the top and send all the fireballs into it repeatedly for as long as possible.

--Zero

TWIN GALAXIES HIGH SCORE: (Variation: NTSC - Cascade)

17,166 - Galen Komatsu (ONLY ONE PERSON SUBMITTED THE SCORE FOR THIS VARIATION)

Based on this record, I would like to suggest for this competition the following challenge:

1 bonus point for beating TG High Score (17,166 points in Cascade Mode).

Edited by oyamafamily

8,543 so far

If you can, try to aim for the last block by catching a fireball and then releasing it so that it'll hit the block when most of the other fireballs are at the top of the screen. This means you'll be catching in the middle of a downpour, but it'll put the other balls where they can wipe out most of the next formation.

I usually start this variation by knocking a hole through either side, then I sit back and relax for a few seconds while the fireball tears everything up from the top down.

Don't flick the paddle rapidly. This causes the juggler to "skip" across the screen and the game won't register that he has actually caught a fireball unless his sprite and the ball sprite actually appear touching each other.

Catches count from the top of the juggler's arms all the way to his wasit, and maybe even to his feet.

DON'T MISS! Missing a ball when there are only one or two blocks left will almost certainly end your game no matter how many tries you have left. If you have to miss a ball, try to make a shot at the last block on the screen. This will cause the new formation to show up with the extra balls held captive instead of having all of them rain down on you at once.

Edited by shadow460

18004 and rising... I know what I was doing wrong, too...

I forgot that on a 7800 the difficulty switches are reversed. So I've been over practicing all week!

Other tips:

If you don't like the number of balls in the lower section of a new set of blocks, drop one ball quickly. This will send most of the balls to the upper areas where they may or may not start wreaking havoc.

Try to make only one opening to the top and send all the fireballs into it repeatedly for as long as possible.

All my tips work for the highest difficulty settings in the game, BTW.

wee hee hee... bag 'em up!

26640!

post-7210-12736291857_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadow460